Books for a 8yr boy with good reading skills.

(27 Posts)
Dogonabeanbag Tue 01-Oct-13 11:33:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MacaYoniandCheese Thu 03-Oct-13 17:43:48

DS (8.5) loved BeastQuest but has now moved onto The Hardy Boys series (mysteries) and anything by Gordon Korman or Andrew Clements (Frindle was a particular favourite).

Nowhere Thu 03-Oct-13 17:36:39

and Tom Palmer books.

Nowhere Thu 03-Oct-13 17:33:56

I would also recommend David Walliams (although a bit silly) My boys also love Jack Stalwart books by Elizabeth Singer Hunt (quite a quick read though ) and the Charlie Bones books by Jenny Nimmo.

CMOTDibbler Thu 03-Oct-13 14:00:57

My y3 ds loves the Astrosaurs books, but what is currently enthralling him are books by Lucy Boston (the Sea Egg, which is less well known than her Green Knowe books was amazing to him) and Edward Eager (The Time Garden, Half Magic etc).
He's also liked Stig of the dump, Phoenix and the carpet, and 5 children and it

Dogonabeanbag Thu 03-Oct-13 13:47:06

storyshacker Thu 03-Oct-13 08:40:21

'Oliver and the seawigs' by Philip Reeve and Sarah McIntyre is just out, so sweet, quirky, great drawings, a bit silly but not rude at all-just a really great idea.

EnglishRose1320 Wed 02-Oct-13 21:53:45

The Charlie Small Journals are a great read for that age, the right level for an 8yr old interest wise but pushing their reading level a bit.
Also the Alien Invader series are quite good- a little easier though.
Would also re recommend many of the ones that have already been listed, astrosaurs, mr gum etc

ShoeWhore Wed 02-Oct-13 21:45:05

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster is very good.

Selected Michael Morpurgo, Artemis Fowl, Septimus Heap, Harry Potter, Mr Gum, David Walliams, How to Train Your Dragon, Famous Five all enjoyed here - mainly by ds1 who's just turned 9 but ds2 (7) is catching up fast.

Ds2 is having a crack at Swallows and Amazons and seems to be enjoying it despite it being old.

Susan Cooper. Dark is rising series and others.

mamadou Wed 02-Oct-13 21:26:39

My DS is also 8 and enjoying a lot of Dick King Smith at the moment.
Dodos are Forever and Ace have been very popular. He also like reading films that have been put into book form. He read Madagascar and is reading Megamind at the moment. Not highbrow stuff, but he likes it smile

Takver Tue 01-Oct-13 14:52:41

What about Horrible Science / Horrible Histories / Murderous Maths etc? DD enjoyed them a lot at that age

Dogonabeanbag Tue 01-Oct-13 13:13:43

Bakingtins Tue 01-Oct-13 13:07:32

Eoin Colfer has written a few stories for younger readers that are good. The series is Puffin Young Readers and they are all titled "The Legend of...."

Lio Tue 01-Oct-13 13:07:30

Agree with lots of these, also the Bertie series and Hooey Higgins (they will be quick reads for him, but nice nonetheless).

yetanotherworry Tue 01-Oct-13 13:06:20

My ds went from BeastQuest to Harry Potter and Rick Riordan. Then we hit a plateau where he couldn't find anything he liked. Then we found the Rangers Apprentice series by John Flanagan and The Seventh Tower series by Garth Nix. I think both of these series are more like an older version of BeastQuest.

chicaguapa Tue 01-Oct-13 13:02:28

DS(8) loves:

David Walliams
How to Train your Dragon series
Wimpy Kid
World according to Norm
Louis Sachar
Jeremy Strong

I can also highly recommend Roddy Doyle's Rovers books. They are brilliant. I wish he'd write more children's stories.

Periwinkle007 Tue 01-Oct-13 12:39:35

I think like funnyossity says perhaps read some of the older ones with him. If his reading age is about 10 then he should be able to read them even with the older style language and some quite unusual words. If you introduce him to them then he may find he likes them.

gybegirl Tue 01-Oct-13 12:33:01

Anything by David Walliams

Seeline Tue 01-Oct-13 12:22:50

Roald Dahl
Jeremy Strong (quite funny, but not too silly)
Maybe a bit hard for him just yet but my DS loved all Artemis Fowl books (Eoin Colfer), Percy Jackson and Alex Rider series.

funnyossity Tue 01-Oct-13 12:13:34

Try reading the older books to him to get him used to the style, it's worth extending their reading to older books imo.

For "modern-silly" my son is enjoying the Letters from an Alien Schoolboy books.

picnicbasketcase Tue 01-Oct-13 12:09:30

Asked DS (who is now 11) and he recommends Astrosaurs, Horrid Henry, Mr Gum, Wimpy Kid, and Captain Underpants. I think they are all in the funny/silly category but maybe some of them might suit? I read all of the Mr Gum books after he finished them, they made me cry laughing grin

ShatnersBassoon Tue 01-Oct-13 11:48:17

Secret Seven and Famous Five.
Harry Potter.
The Hobbit.

Dogonabeanbag Tue 01-Oct-13 11:45:47

Dogonabeanbag Tue 01-Oct-13 11:44:25

Periwinkle007 Tue 01-Oct-13 11:44:09

the original Paddington chapter books are very amusing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now