Do you know a book about a girl who couldn't speak?

(11 Posts)
zzzzz Wed 25-Sep-13 13:03:14

I read this in the early eighties about a boy who befriended a girl who had lost the ability to speak because her father had been taken away by the natzis. I would love to find it again. In my mind it was a preteen love story but they may have just been friends blush.

I think the girl was called Anna?? And they played with puppets.

Yonihadtoask Wed 25-Sep-13 22:32:01

I don't know, sorry.

but am bumping for you.

Vecta Wed 25-Sep-13 22:34:26

Isn't the girl in When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit called Anna? I don't remember her not being able to speak though.

WidowWadman Wed 25-Sep-13 22:37:58

Alan and Naomi by Myron Levoy? Not sure about puppets but it's been a long time since I read it.

WidowWadman Wed 25-Sep-13 22:40:59

Alan & Naomi - just checked, definitely puppets in there. Ha.

zzzzz Wed 25-Sep-13 22:42:12

Not "WhenHitler Stole Pink Rabbit". (I must read that again too)

No they lived in blocks of flats facing each others windows. It was a real weepy. At the end she slipped back into her confusion. He came to say goodbye and she isn't know him just ripped up imaginary bits of paper.

When I was thirteen it was the most romantic thing I had ever read. grin

Then of course I sullied my brain with Lace, and Flowers in the Attic and Clan of the Cave Bear.

zzzzz Wed 25-Sep-13 22:44:59

YES! Thank you. thanks

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

WidowWadman Wed 25-Sep-13 23:01:42

I want to reread it now, but can't remember for the life of me where my copy is. probably in a box in my parents' loft sad

zzzzz Thu 26-Sep-13 01:07:18

Go rescue it immediately.

I've just ordered it off amazon.

WafflyVersatile Thu 26-Sep-13 01:14:24

That sounds like a horrible book! sad

zzzzz Thu 26-Sep-13 01:40:15

Not horrible, sad-beautiful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now