Hidden Gruffalos...

(13 Posts)
Lady84 Sat 14-Sep-13 00:06:23

We love how there is a Gruffalo hiding somewhere in most of Julia Donaldson and Axel Schaffer's books. We have spotted him in Stickman, Highway Rat, Zog, tiddler and snail and the whale but it's driving me mad I can't find one in Room on the Broom. Has anyone else spotted one?!

cyberboots Sat 14-Sep-13 02:12:54

We've searched ROTB from top to...bristles and found nothing either. Maybe it was written, or rather illustrated, before the Gruffalo became such a celeb?

cyberboots Sat 14-Sep-13 02:25:02

In Superworm, when they throw the baddie onto the rubbish heap, isn't there an old graffalo toy on there? Can't venture in there to check right now, sorry!

MrsPennyapple Sat 14-Sep-13 02:34:31

There is one in Tabby McTat as well. Will have to have a look in some of the other books tomorrow!

GertBySea Sat 14-Sep-13 12:48:03

Have you found it in the Smartest Giant

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa Sat 14-Sep-13 12:52:27

Does room on the broom predate the gruffalo?

They're in Tiddler and The Highway Rat too

Lady84 Sun 15-Sep-13 08:08:01

No can't find it in Smartest Giant, although we like to spot all the other fairy tale characters! I think Room on the Broom is one of the older ones but don't think it predates the GRuffalo - ah well, just wanted to check no one else could spot one either!!

Carriepreston Mon 16-Sep-13 12:52:48

I had no idea the Gruffalo was hidden in the other books <unobservant>
I'll be looking out for them at DC's bedtime tonight

LotsofDots Mon 07-Oct-13 19:22:46

Axel Schaeffler started adding them in after he became a Dad. IIRC there isn't one in room on the broom, Charlie Cook, the snail and the whale or squash and a squeeze.

I asked an inside source.

Vickisuli Mon 07-Oct-13 21:52:08

Squash and a squeeze was their first ever collaboration so definitely pre-dates Gruffalo. I'd spotted him in Stickman and Tabby McTat.

Also did the Gruffalo's child come before Stickman and therefore Stickman was based on her toy stick, or did Stickman come first and her holding him was a nod to Stickman?

mewkins Thu 24-Oct-13 21:25:24

I assumed stickman follows the gruffalo...that it was thought up so that stickman has a character all of his own. I like to think that stickman is only temporarily used by the gruffalo's child (before he is found and used as an arm for a snowman)... I have thought a lot about this!

alimak Tue 21-Jan-14 09:56:33

Hi everyone
my son loves books from Julia Donaldson and we absolutely mad about finding image of graffalo in her books. We have found it in most of them, but we are straggling with 2 books. The Smartest Giant in Town and Room on the broom.
We have found it in
Stick Man
Tabby McTat
Zog
Tiddler
The Snail and the Whale
Superworm

The rest of her books are still missing in our book shell.

So can you please help and give us some clue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now