Books for 7yo DS

(14 Posts)
MamaTo3Boys Thu 12-Sep-13 22:10:25

Hi I know this has probably been done loads so sorry in advance.

7yo DS who has ADHD has starting taking a real interest in reading. He comes home from school with his book bag and cannot wait to get his book out and read to me. He has never really bothered with it much before as it requires concentration and his attention span is extremely short. He is about 18 months behind with his reading.

I really want to encourage him to read as much as possible whilst hes taken an interest to it. I don't want to get books for his age group as I feel they may be to difficult for him yet and don't want to knock his confidence.

Any suggestions?

Periwinkle007 Thu 12-Sep-13 22:46:15

what level is he reading at?

MamaTo3Boys Thu 12-Sep-13 23:00:14

He's reading at the level of a 5-6 year old and hes 7.8yo.

MamaTo3Boys Thu 12-Sep-13 23:05:23

He's in the orange book band if thats easier?

Periwinkle007 Fri 13-Sep-13 11:11:42

Book Band 6 – Orange

Annie Rose is my Little Sister – Shirley Hughes
Mr Pod and Mr Picalilli – Penny Dolan
Peace at Last – Jill Murphy
This is the Bear – Sarah Hayes

Book Band 7 – Turquoise

The Elephant and the Bad Baby – Elfrida Vipont
The Fish Who Could Wish – John Bush
Funnybones – Janet and Allan Ahlberg
Mog and the Baby – Judith Kerr
Mr Tubs is Lost – Bel Mooney
My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes – Eve Sutton
A Squash and a Squeeze – Julia Donaldson
Sleep Tight Little Bear – Martin Waddell

He MAY think some of these are too easy/babyish but if you can select some carefully then he may feel they are more grown up. for example Mr Tubs is Lost is a banana book - think it is blue bananas. The Book People had a set of books which were all banana ones (published in a different format - will try to find the link) so some were about band 7 up to about band 9/10.

Periwinkle007 Fri 13-Sep-13 11:14:39

or you could try the Claude books - I am not sure what level they are but they are supposed to be good for reluctant readers or those reading below their age.

Periwinkle007 Fri 13-Sep-13 11:16:44

can't find the collection on the book people but this is Mr Tubs is Lost
http://clubs-kids.scholastic.co.uk/products/13303
there is another Mr Tubs one (I love Mr Tubs?) erm some others too, just can't remember the names. try searching for a list of Blue bananas - I am sure blue is that level.

CMOTDibbler Fri 13-Sep-13 11:19:26

The Ahlberg Happy Family books are a good length and a nice read without being babyish.

cornflakegirl Fri 13-Sep-13 11:33:17

Second the Happy Family books - they're great! And how about Usborne Beginner books - loads of non-fiction titles written in accessible language, but really interesting and not at all babyish.

Suzie70 Fri 13-Sep-13 13:51:55

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

cornflakegirl Fri 13-Sep-13 14:15:46

Wow - you're really plugging that book today Suzie.

MamaTo3Boys Fri 13-Sep-13 14:22:53

Thanks for the replies

There's some brilliant suggestions here, ill get on amazon later when the boys are in bed and have a look for these titles smile

Thanks again

Sampsodine Fri 13-Sep-13 18:04:22

If you haven't already gone amazon shopping (!), you could try the Magic Tree House books. There are lots of them, but they all have good boy-friendly stories - Dinosaurs, Castles, Pirates etc. I think they're about Turquoise level. They were originally published in the US, but adapted slightly for the UK market.

Also, if he's into cartoons there are some great tie-in books. We got DS some Scooby Doo ones from Amazon. They went down very well

IndianMummy Wed 18-Sep-13 06:27:15

Magic Tree House books, Secret Agent Jack Stalwart books, Nina and the travelling spice shed books...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now