Any great ideas for books enjoyed by 6-8 year olds?

(31 Posts)
Judyandherdreamofhorses Fri 06-Sep-13 17:55:25

Looking for inspiration for reading with y2 and y3. Anything brilliant you can recommend? Thanks.

storyshacker Tue 24-Sep-13 17:13:26

I don't know whether you'd find this useful - take it or leave it but storyshack is a site which recommends books just like you are on here which is fab. The Agatha parrot books have been recommended for story shack by Ellie who is 8...I've started to read them and they're very funny. She is also a Mr. Gum fan. 'Flotsam and Jetsam" series by Tanya Landman is a lovely set of stories for this age.

http://www.storyshack.org/1/post/2013/09/ellie-recommends-agatha-parrot-so-storyshack-will-be-housing-some-copies-very-soon-thanks-ellie.html

IndianMummy Mon 23-Sep-13 10:48:55

Magic Tree House Series, Nina and the Travelling Spice Shed Series, Charlotte's Webb, Diary of the Killer Cat Series...

Taffeta Fri 20-Sep-13 19:20:17

My DD loved Ottoline and Bewilderwood books

jennymac Wed 18-Sep-13 13:30:33

The Cressida Cowell - How to train your dragon series - are very popular with my 2.

FourGates Fri 13-Sep-13 22:29:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dd1(8) enjoys Helen Moss Adventure Island Series - like famous 5 but with mobiles and email.

SilverBrumby Thu 12-Sep-13 20:56:23

Yes to Harry Potter, also Beast Quest by Adam Blade (use the library - there are literally more than a hundred not to mention the new Sea Quest.....), Elizabeth Singer Hunt's Jack Stalwart books (excellent!), Mr Gum and the Phantom Tollbooth.
Yes. Horrible Histories on TV very popular here.

MerryMarigold Tue 10-Sep-13 14:24:45

Ds1 is 7 and is really enjoying Secret 7. I am enjoying reading them to him as well!

GreggsOnLegs Tue 10-Sep-13 14:23:56

Ds almost 8 just started yr3, has recently got into horrible histories. I've picked a couple up at carboots and the other day I saw some in poundland so will be getting those as stocking fillers smile

Wednesbury Tue 10-Sep-13 14:22:50

Aged 8 I loved Beverly Cleary's Ramona series. I have just bought the first 5 to read to my DS (aged 5) but I think they are a little old for him ... I couldn't believe it when I looked at the copyright info and saw they were written in 1955. I think they are excellent though, although they do use American terminology which might stall reading aloud.

Wednesbury Tue 10-Sep-13 14:22:48

Aged 8 I loved Beverly Cleary's Ramona series. I have just bought the first 5 to read to my DS (aged 5) but I think they are a little old for him ... I couldn't believe it when I looked at the copyright info and saw they were written in 1955. I think they are excellent though, although they do use American terminology which might stall reading aloud.

Pennyink Tue 10-Sep-13 14:19:08

Dd is reading Lizzie Dripping and loving it. She has also loved Pippi Longstocking, The Naughtiest Girl series, Horrid Henry, Charlotte Sometimes, Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf.

meala Tue 10-Sep-13 14:14:20

DD loved Ottoline and is reading the Little House books just now. She enjoyed Bill's new frock too.

exexpat Tue 10-Sep-13 14:13:58

Just remembered one more - the magical children books by Sally Gardner are great too: www.sallygardner.net/middle-readers/magical-children/

exexpat Tue 10-Sep-13 14:12:16

The Anna Hibiscus series of books by Atinuke are great for that age group, and good for reading aloud (the OP sounds like you are looking for books to use in school?).

At that age, DD also loved Dick King-Smith books like The Hodgeheg, the Jack Stalwart series of action/adventure books, Horrid Henry (though possibly not ideal for school use because of the bad behaviour...), and the Humphrey the Hamster books by Betty Birney (about a hamster who lives in a classroom).

Iamcountingto3 Tue 10-Sep-13 13:36:03

How about:
Mr Gum (laugh out loud funny - his audio version is fab too); Lemony Snicket/Series of Unfortunate Events; FarAway Tree; E.E.Nesbit (5 children and It; The Amulet; The Enchanted Castle...); How to train Your dragon; start of Harry Potter (I wouldn't go beyond first couple of books yet)

Just William?

DeWe Mon 09-Sep-13 13:50:28

Ds really enjoyed "THE Castle in the Attic". It's a bit longer than some suggested here, but he really loved it.

LadyEnglefield Sun 08-Sep-13 12:30:56

Have finally managed to wean DD (7) off Rainbow Magic Fairies - she admitted that they were basically the same story!

She now loves the Bella Donna, Spy Dogs, Ottoline and Atticus Claw books.

Beamur Fri 06-Sep-13 18:27:52

Mr Gum is funny. DD has the first one and keeps re-reading it and laughing out loud. Lots of rude words and crass humour.

MirandaWest Fri 06-Sep-13 18:08:11

The Sophie books by Dick King Smith are lovely. There are six of them and they are great to read out loud. And enjoyed by both boys and girls (think DS enjoyed them more but DD liked them too)

CorrieDale Fri 06-Sep-13 18:05:54

Dd loves Amelia Jane and Harry potter. Also Jeremy strong. And Holly Webb. Thankfully she has gone off the rainbow fairies.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Fri 06-Sep-13 18:04:31

Thanks. I haven't come across Mr Gum - I'll look for some tomorrow. And had forgotten Jeremy Strong.

CaptainSweatPants Fri 06-Sep-13 18:03:16

Oh yes I second the Mr Gum books

Dd also likes Horrid Henry & Moody Margaret by Fransceca Simon

Also the Dirty Bertie books

She did have a phase of reading the Daisy Meadow Rainbow Fairy books but has gone back to her tomboy phase grin

Foosyerdoos Fri 06-Sep-13 18:03:13

I would also recommend 'King of the Copper Mountain', it is a beautiful book and really lends itself to being read a chapter at a time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now