Girls fiction books - written as diary

(17 Posts)
hazlinh Thu 19-Sep-13 17:00:48

Try the 'Dear Dumb Diary' series, it is like the Dork Diaries.

Frettchen Fri 06-Sep-13 13:46:00

Not quite a diary, but the first thing that popped into my mind was a book called Longer Letter Later which I read when I was a young'n. It's a series of letters between two best friends when one has moved away. It predates e-mail, so might be a little old-fashioned, but I loved it because I used to write to my best friend.

TheSlug Fri 06-Sep-13 12:56:19

The confessions of Georgia Nicholson. Good books, there are ten books in the series. Might be a little old but addressed in a really nice way, she's a young teenager coming to terms with puberty etc.

TheSlug Fri 06-Sep-13 12:53:27

Try the 'it's ok, I'm wearing really big knickers!' Series. I think one of them was made into a film recently.

CambridgeBlue Fri 06-Sep-13 12:49:57

My DD likes Dork Diaries which I think is like Wimpy Kid but written by a girl.

MirandaWest Fri 06-Sep-13 12:47:27

Just saw that you put Girls Fiction but I think Wimpy Kid and Tom Gates both fine for boys or girls. Might see if I can persuade DD to try one of them - am trying hard to wean her off Rainbow Blooming Magic Fairies hmm (she is nearly 8)

MirandaWest Fri 06-Sep-13 12:44:00

DS likes the Tom Gates books and thinks they're better than the Wimpy Kid ones (although he has both). He started reading them when he was 8 I think.

OldBeanbagz Fri 06-Sep-13 12:41:52

DD (11) has just started the first Adrian Mole and is loving it but it's probably a bit old for an 8 year old.

What about the Indie Kidd books by Karen McCombie?

LilaFowler Thu 05-Sep-13 23:42:03

Anne Frank a great diary book, but just felt the need to point out it's not a fiction book -it's actual the real life account of a little girl in hiding! smile

My ds loves Diary of A Wimpy Kid, that's in a diary/musings of a child format.

I used to love Adrian Mole and his constant yearning for Pandora and his wafflings on.

olgaga Thu 05-Sep-13 22:36:30

Hi the Joanna Nadin books are just funny, no gruesome shenanigans. DD also loved the Diary of a Wimpy Kid - the books are much funnier than the film!

Takver Thu 05-Sep-13 13:38:03

Haven't looked closely at it, but what about Diary of a Wimpy Kid? I have always assumed it was a diary format (!) and it was very popular in dd's primary.

boyshoes Thu 05-Sep-13 12:47:19

Hi she's 8 but Raspberry Rules was written for 10+. She's not ready for anything where anyone has died etc...

olgaga Thu 05-Sep-13 12:22:54

She'll love My So-Called Life - the Tragically Normal Diary of Rachel Riley.

There's a series, by Joanna Nadin.

My DD (now 12) also loved the diary format.

Pusspuss1 Thu 05-Sep-13 12:20:56

Anne Frank/Adrian Mole/Bridget Jones?! All great books. How old is she?

SandStorm Thu 05-Sep-13 12:19:50

The only one I can think of is Mill Girl which is a historical story written as a diary. I don't know if it's the right age group for your daughter though as I don't know the one you've mentioned.

Emma Tupper's Diary

boyshoes Thu 05-Sep-13 12:14:55

Hi, my daughter has just finished a book called The Raspberry Rules by Karen McCombie and she loves it. Does anyone know of any other fictin books that are written like a diary as this is the reason she liked it. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now