Apply for a free copy of our chapter book of the month The Reindeer Girl by Holly Webb (CLOSED)

(40 Posts)
RebeccaSMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 03-Sep-13 13:51:12

The new school term is upon us and the last chapters of our summer books have been read. Our September chapter book of the month, The Reindeer Girl by Holly Webb is the perfect antidote and guaranteed to transport you away from a balmy Indian summer to snowy Norway.

The Reindeer Girl tells the story of a girl called Lotta who loves to hear of her grandmother's childhood, herding reindeer in the snowy mountains. One night Lotta awakes to find herself in the magical world of her grandmother's stories and when she meets a reindeer calf and its mother who need her help the adventure really begins!

If you know of a child who would love this beautiful winter tale, then apply for a free copy and please come back to let us know what they thought about it on the thread.

Belo Mon 11-Nov-13 23:03:35

Thank you very much for my copy. I'm ashamed to say though that we only started this tonight... I'll write DDs review when she's finished it. Until then I wanted to mark my place and to say that so far DD loves it! She read the first chapter out loud to her grandparents tonight and then insisted on reading it again to me. I left her in bed reading chapter 2. She's only just 8 and I would say it is a perfect book for her to read to herself.

Willemdefoeismine Thu 31-Oct-13 06:59:27

Truth be told, I was going to be sneaky and put this in DD's Christmas stocking, but she's been extolling the virtues of Holly Webb (I'd never heard of her to my blush shame), as she's been reading them at school. So I decided to give it to her ahead of Christmas!

DD has really enjoyed it (me as much as DD!). It is a very gentle story but it has a 'page-turning' factor that means DD has been encouraged to read on just to find out what happens next to Lotta and Erika. She loves the magical element too. As a 'soft' way to introducing children to Norwegian culture is very deftly done. It has certainly stimulated DD to want to find out more about Norway, reindeer and the Sami people.

DD is now 8 and I would say that the reading level is probably pitched slightly younger than her ability. However, learning about a new culture thro' a story has made it really enjoyable for her to read - oh and the inclusion of pictures! So a hit in this household!

pizzaandpinot Sun 20-Oct-13 19:26:59

Received a free copy of this lovely book, thank you. I read the first chapter to DD (8yrs,year 3) and then she read the rest herself. It is a lovely book and she has thoroughly enjoyed it. She would now like to be like Lotta and look after reindeer when she grows up! Agree that some of the words are tricky like the names of clothes and food (Norwegian) but there is a glossary at the back and the language adds to the charm of the book. Lots of interesting facts about reindeer and Norway too.

Funkyferret Mon 14-Oct-13 14:45:44

I loved the old-fashioned feel to this book - a little chunky hardback with a cover that looked liked the kind of Christmas card gran would give and black and white line drawings dotted throughout. The story itself is set in Norway which opened up a whole new culture and the more challenging words were fun to try and pronounce and remember. The plot is always engaging, sometimes gripping and on a couple of occasions, a little scary or sad but moves on well. The chapter sizes are ideal and the facts at the end a really nice touch.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 02-Oct-13 12:25:36

Many thanks for all the feedback. We're about to launch October book of the month so do look out for the discussion thread coming up.

Clawdy Tue 01-Oct-13 20:53:52

This was a lovely cosy read,with delightful illustrations and so much info on the world of the Sami. It reminded me a little of The Good Master by Kate Seredy,which DD and I loved years ago. Wish we could try some pepperkaken!

MissStrawberry Tue 01-Oct-13 12:21:53

Shucks. Missed this. DS2 would have liked it.

<makes note to look in Smiths for it>.

Neena28 Tue 01-Oct-13 12:19:18

Thanks so much for this.

Dd (8) whizzed through it in a few days and thoroughly enjoyed it. The book has now been passed on to her best friend to read too.

I agree that it had a few challenging words (for dd) and the glossary was useful. She also really liked that it had facts at the back too. So a story and some learning at the same time really floated her boat. Interestingly, she also really liked a whole page illustration at the start of the chapters. She said she liked the seeing the picture when she put her bookmark in (she can not fathom why anyone would ever end their reading session mid way through a chapter).

We haven't got/read any of holly webbs other books but will be now.

television Mon 30-Sep-13 12:59:19

really charming book, we both enjoyed reading it a lot

louise1985 Mon 30-Sep-13 12:26:29

i recieved my copy and me and my children loved reading it together

bettybooboo1 Mon 30-Sep-13 11:02:59

I received our copy, thank you so much. It looks so lovely, and the illustrations are so beautiful that I might have to save it for Christmas.

How many copies were given out? I take it if we haven't received it we didn't win?

witchface Sun 29-Sep-13 19:59:44

I love the fact there is a glossary at the back as some of the words are unfamilliar to me! It is a really evocative story of a time and place I knew nothing about. I was involved from the first chapter which makes a change from the usual pony books which I just try to switch off my brain to while we are reading. Not finished it yet but good so far.

janx Fri 27-Sep-13 19:49:09

A really lovely book - we have been reading it together. Really enchanting and nicely written

piggypoo Fri 27-Sep-13 17:48:06

Received our free copy last week, and my house has never been so quiet! This book is such a lovely story, so engrossing! Our kids loved it! Thanks Mumsnet!

hfarqy Fri 27-Sep-13 14:30:28

Received my copy in the post. Having a sneaky read myself before sharing with my daughter. She loves books but wants ones she can turn the pages of. Can't wait for her to return to being read a novel. A couple of chapters in and I can't wait for winter!

onadietcokebreak Fri 27-Sep-13 13:57:14

Marking place. Planning on starting this with my son.

Pinklemon Fri 27-Sep-13 12:03:42

My little girl was delighted to receive a copy of The Reindeer Girl. She especially love the picture on the front cover. It is a lovely story which she enjoys and has been reading the first few pages at bedtime.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 27-Sep-13 09:08:44

It's great to hear the books have arrived. Don't forget to come back and let us know what they think when they have read the books.

watsoa Thu 26-Sep-13 09:43:28

I received my prize copy of 'The reindeer Girl' a few days ago and read it to my niece who loved it. It has a charming story line and is very descriptive and educational - I am sure that it will be read over and over again.

Clawdy Sat 21-Sep-13 14:00:39

Our copy arrived this morning and it looks delightful,thank you.

Willemdefoeismine Fri 20-Sep-13 16:23:41

Curiously enough, I noticed some lovely new books in our local library yesterday when browsing for suitable books for DD (nearly 8). I chose one of Holly Webb's books thinking the name sounded familiar!

Our copy arrived this morning so thank you Mumsnet! It might be a couple of weeks before we post our review as DD is wading her way thro' her school reading book (a Judy Moody one - at 4/5 pages of reading practice a night it's going to take her a month to read it!) and I'm reading her one of Jacqueline Wilson's TB ones as bedtime reading.....

We've won! Lovely :-) Can't wait for it to arrive - this can be our new reading together bok - there's been little of that going on around here - total 11 plus takeover in this house for the last few months. Something to look forward to - after next Saturday! I will get DS to review.

Thanks Mumsnet.

Noggie Sun 08-Sep-13 21:35:48

My dd would love this grin

Bumbez Thu 05-Sep-13 20:10:25

Yes please Dds would both enjoy this aged 8 and 10!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now