Help - birthday ideas for 11 year old girl

(8 Posts)
suecy Mon 02-Sep-13 11:37:35

Please can anyone suggest some books/authors for my 11 year old girl? She likes girlie stuff like Dork Diaries, Jacqueline Wilson, Enid Blyton etc but I wanted her to try something new and possibly a bit more grown up.

TIA

Elizabeth Goudge "The Little White Horse"

dyslexicdespot Mon 02-Sep-13 13:32:31

Anne of green gables or daddy long legs.

Llanbobl Mon 02-Sep-13 15:30:20

Geek Girl - Holly Smaille - bought it for DD who was 11 in August, she loved it.

The DragonSkin Slippers trilogy by Jessica Day George

Carries War? War Horse? Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynn Jones?

Llanbobl Mon 02-Sep-13 15:32:54

DD also enjoys the Sherlock Holmes books as well as PG Wodehouse (the Blandings stories reissued when the BBC televised Blandings Castle).

Takver Mon 02-Sep-13 17:16:13

Has she read the Casson family series by Hilary McKay?

booksteensandmagazines Tue 03-Sep-13 10:30:48

Here is a reading list I put together for 11/12 years olds - it grades the books by difficulty and gives a brief description of the book. If you clink on the link for each book it takes you to a more detailed description.

www.booksteensandmagazines.com/blog/reading-list-year-7-11-to-12-year-olds

Sophie Mckenzie is a popular author to follow on from Jacqueline Wilson. She's not a classic author but is a good read. More classic for an 11 year old is Bridge to Terrabithia but other good books are Soldier Dog and Mortal Engines.

drnismith Tue 03-Sep-13 19:41:30

Julia Green's Sylvie and Star a heart warming tale of puppy love set in Italy with surprise twists and turns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now