ideas for nearly 13 year old girl please.

(104 Posts)
goingtobefree Mon 26-Aug-13 15:39:44

She has finished Shelter,seconds away by Harlan Coben. I have bought her gunslinger by Stpehen King,what next?
Any suggestions?

SugarMouse1 Tue 17-Sep-13 15:19:51

If she is quite an advanced reader-

Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Jane Eyre

Edgar Allan Poe short stories

Birdsong

Saturday by Ian McEWan

The Great Gatsby
I know I'm going to get flamed for this but please don't give her Jane austen, they seem really slo, dull and boring at this age and are enough to put people off classics for life, IMO.

marzipanned Tue 17-Sep-13 15:26:41

unlucky you should see if you can convince her to e-publish them. She could always do it under an anonymous name if she felt embarrassed.

SugarMouse I think Austen is quite Marmite, I didn't really enjoy her until I was older but several of my friends really enjoyed at that age. Why would that put her daughter off the classics if she enjoyed reading some of your other recommendations?!
Personally I'd imagine a 13yo finding Saturday more dull - so much of it is tied up in the adult concerns of marriage, work, children, in a way that I would've thought quite inaccessible to a young teenager, but each to their own smile

SugarMouse1 Tue 17-Sep-13 19:13:56

Marzipanned-

Don't know, hopefully it wouldn't, but it happened to some kids in my class at school after we were made to read Austen- but many classics are much more exciting and appealing to teens- Wuthering heights for example, if you can get past the strong Yorkshire dialect some of its written in

Saturday is quite fast paced and really exciting, I enjoyed it as quite a young adult.

Or Atonement is quite good, the first part is a bit slow moving, that's all, and perhaps slightly adult around the mention of rape, but I think this is okay for a fairly mature 13 year old.

To Kill a Mocking Bird? Although again, the dialect is difficult to nderstand in some parts

chocobox Wed 09-Oct-13 12:07:17

My eldest DD is 12 and loves Rick Riordan’s books and Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now