ideas for nearly 13 year old girl please.

(104 Posts)
goingtobefree Mon 26-Aug-13 15:39:44

She has finished Shelter,seconds away by Harlan Coben. I have bought her gunslinger by Stpehen King,what next?
Any suggestions?

Mumzy Sat 14-Sep-13 18:58:26

I read Jacqueline Wilson books at hat age when her books were less geared towards the mainstream market. This is my favourite and I still have my copy of Nobody's Perfect
There are cheaper copies in Amazon Market Place

pointythings Sat 14-Sep-13 20:40:10

My 12yo has just finished Seraphina and can't wait for the sequel (due out in 2014) so definitely seconding that.

I'd also recommend some of Diana Wynne Jones's YA books, specifically Hexwood, The Homeward Bounders and Fire and Hemlock.

Takver Sat 14-Sep-13 20:58:29

Just thought of another one - The Last Dragon Slayer by Jasper Fforde

SugarMouse1 Sat 14-Sep-13 21:19:44

All of the books by Meg Rosoff

The Catcher in the rye

The book thief

Rockinhippy Sat 14-Sep-13 21:56:33

My own DD is a bit younger, but is old for her years & a very avid & advanced reader, so I've had to be really careful with finding stuff that grabs her interest & is not too old IYSWIM.

( sorry headache so can't trembler all the authors & neither can she)

The books she has read recently & loved the most...

Maximum Ride series - James Patterson - 8 books all of which she loved.

Wonder,

Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater

The Deepest Cut series - 6 books -

Angel Dust.

Blitz - Vince Cross

What's Up With Jody Barton - Hailey Long

Dark Matter - Michelle Paver

Little Darlings - Jacqueline Wilson

Riley Bloom Series - 3 books

Rock Stars Daughter -Caitlin Duffy

Saving Wishes - GJ Walker - Smith

Whisper Series - Tara Westn- 3 books

Unenchanted -Chanda Hahn

Gone - Michael Grant

Also check out these websites - we love the first one as it as it reviews books per age & if you click on each title you will see it reviewed for content as you would with films - makes our lives much easier smile

HERE

HERE TOO

HTH

FranSanDisco Sat 14-Sep-13 22:41:15

DD is reading Uglies by Scott Westerfield (sp?) and there is a sequel called Pretties I believe.

goingtobefree Sun 15-Sep-13 07:28:06

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have bookmarked this thread for reference.
Diana Wynne Jones is one of my favourite authors. She has read some of her books like The homeward boulders, The Ogre downstairs, Howls moving castle and some more.
I have downloaded The fault in our stars in her kindle, she has started this already so now has three books on the go.
Jane Eyre is her first classic book and has taken her a long time, she is catching up with Dr Who old episodes ( she has found out a website you can watch all previous episodes apparently!!) so it is going to be a while to get through these books.
Absolutely brilliant recommendations, this is a tough age group to keep them interested in reading among other distractions in their life.

breadandbutterfly Sun 15-Sep-13 10:05:36

See this other recent, similar thread for ideas:

[[http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/1847797-Teen-fiction-recommendations-thats-not-bloody-grim-please ]]

breadandbutterfly Sun 15-Sep-13 10:06:10
VenusDeWillendorf Sun 15-Sep-13 11:10:42

Eva Ibbotson anything really, but the secret countess, and that series is more advanced than journey to the river sea, dragonfly pool etc.

Usual le Guin - the earthsea series is wonderful. Her later books are fabulous too.

Patricia A. McKillip -harpist in the wind is lovely, and anything by her.

Y.S. Lee the agency series- Victorian crime, with a twist - a little bit tame, but an easy read.

Phillip Pullman the ruby in the smoke Sally Lockheart trilogy. And his dark materials. Count karlstein
Etc etc

And don't forget some poetry - it can be lovely.

CocktailQueen Sun 15-Sep-13 14:29:54

Ngaio marsh books
Agree wth dick Francis too
The alphabet books by sue grafton are great as well

mmelindor Sun 15-Sep-13 17:30:08

Proudnamechanger
Ha. That is funny. I follow her on Twitter and she has written for my preteen mag. She is very talented. I am not surprised you are proud of her.

mrspremise Sun 15-Sep-13 18:22:35

Agatha Christie, Diane Wynne Jones (esp. witch week), Paula Danziger, Oscar Wilde, Robert C. O'Brian, Ian Serralier were some of the authors I loved at her age. I also read Jane Grigson and Elizabeth David with uncorrupted joy, still love my food books smile

unlucky83 Sun 15-Sep-13 18:55:17

Just to say my DD has now read the latest Catherine McPhail I picked up! grin -disappeared this afternoon for ages - when I realised found her in her bedroom engrossed - read it in one sitting...
I've also ordered the first of the Casson Family series from the library...
marzipanned it isn't a diary (I wouldn't read her diary - after my sister read mine when I was 20 and then proceeded to question me on the contents I don't think I could) - she's not writing about real life - she is writing Jaqueline Wilson/Cathy Cassidy type stories - she illustrates them too ....the 'no-one is allowed to read' is a lack of confidence I think more than anything and I don't know if any of them are completed stories but she has loads of A5 notebooks full of them ... in places they are quite 'good' - at least they seem no worse than similar books she reads ...
Funny I struggle to get her to do essays etc for homework but she spends hours writing these stories...

Ilovemyrabbits Sun 15-Sep-13 19:24:07

John Wyndham - The Chrysalids is an excellent story. I loved the Gone series as mentioned before. I also liked Veronica Roth's Divergent series. I am a bit of a fan of teen fiction.

tyaca Sun 15-Sep-13 20:42:14

how to save a life

can't remember who it's by

EnjoyEverySandwich Sun 15-Sep-13 20:46:50

If she likes reading, then just let her find her own reading matter. It's easier than ever these days with e-readers. My mother never attempted to censor anything I read. Sure I read some books that went over my head a bit, but no harm in that.

I would give her one piece of advice though: don't feel that you have to finish every book you start. If you're not enjoying it 100 pages in, abandon it. There are more books than anyone could read in a lifetime, so don't waste time on something that doesn't interest you.

fabergeegg Mon 16-Sep-13 00:45:43

hum. well. I was reading the chalet school at 13 and might occasionally have still revisited the magic faraway tree. As I've turned out a bit bookish, I don't mind admitting this. Never did, actually!

Where are the all the kids reading Sweet Valley High or whatever it is now? Are their mums all on netmums? Think I'm in the wrong place...

Ladyflip Mon 16-Sep-13 16:36:28

Was coming on to say I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, but see I have been beaten to it twice already. But simply brilliant for young teens; "I am writing this with my feet in the sink".

Would also suggest all of Jane Austen, particularly Pride and Prejudice. The thrill the first time you read it, because you don't actually know what's going to happen! Also Emma, and Sense and Sensibility

Jane Eyre
To Kill a Mockingbird
Animal Farm
The Shell Seekers
Cold Comfort Farm

In addition to the above, I read Maeve Binchy (!) can't remember if its very suitable for teenagers but know I devoured them, along with Jeffrey Archers (oh the shame).

TheApprentice Mon 16-Sep-13 18:30:16

I have just read "I capture the castle" for the first time aged 46! I thought it was fantastic.

Has she read "The diary of Anne Frank"? I remember it making a huge impression on me aged 13.

funnyperson Mon 16-Sep-13 20:55:54

Yes, it is the perfect age for the diary of Anne Frank.

Rockinhippy Mon 16-Sep-13 21:31:26

At this young age, I don't consider it sensoring enjoy more responsible parentingconfused

unless you read everything first, then you've no way of knowing what the actual content is & when you have young teens & preteens reading adult books, not being careful & VETTING what they read, is the equivalent of leaving them cart Blanche to watch any 15 or 18 film they choose - hardly a good thing to do at this age ?

& I second The Anne a Frank Diaries - DD is reading that now & really enjoying it, had some very in depth discussions as a result, really caught her imagination & she's finding it all very moving.

She's also reading Beautiful Dead (1) by Eden McGuire - shes enjoying that so much that she read half of it last night

EnjoyEverySandwich Mon 16-Sep-13 23:24:32

Whatever

drnismith Tue 17-Sep-13 07:33:23

Meg Rosoff's new novel Picture Me Gone has a twelve year old girl as narrator, a safe thriller which is touching and brilliantly written.

JumpMagEd Tue 17-Sep-13 10:21:31

Quick - switch on radio. BBC Woman's Hour is talking teen books for girls in a moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now