ideas for nearly 13 year old girl please.

(104 Posts)
goingtobefree Mon 26-Aug-13 15:39:44

She has finished Shelter,seconds away by Harlan Coben. I have bought her gunslinger by Stpehen King,what next?
Any suggestions?

unlucky83 Fri 13-Sep-13 20:27:24

My DD 12.5 (and a cathy cassidy/jaqueline wilson et al fanatic) has just enjoyed a book by Catherine McPhail - called 'fighting back' - just ordered her a couple more by same author from library ...hoping I can start weaning her off chick lit...
She does like Lemony Snicket too ...
She has lots of books (little women etc) mentioned - on her shelf - just waiting for her to show any interest ...sad (Hated the Hobbit - which is my favourite book of all time sadsad )
(I should say haven't read the Catherine McPhail though - maybe I should - she did ask me what a knuckle duster was hmm - hopefully they are more suitable than the Life of Riley books she picked up on an offer for kids books in WH Smiths - where main character is supposed to get the morning after pill for her friend and wishes her parents were cool and would discuss blow jobs at the dinner table like her friend's parents shockhmm)

itsonlysubterfuge Fri 13-Sep-13 21:31:44

When I was that age I started to read the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. I have re-read them multiple times and love them now still.

goingtobefree Fri 13-Sep-13 21:58:44

She has read Phillip Pullman's Northern lights, ruby in the smoke, did not get on with Tiffany Aching though.
She has read Douglas Adams twice!!
some really good suggestions, keep them coming.

goingtobefree Fri 13-Sep-13 22:01:04

She loved Casson family a lot.
Unlucky why don't you her on that.

smeraldina Fri 13-Sep-13 22:17:07

Homecoming, by Cynthia Voigt. Really brilliant....

goingtobefree Fri 13-Sep-13 22:18:08

It should read why don't you get her that.

mmelindor Fri 13-Sep-13 22:26:46

My DD is still a bit younger, but I find this blog is fab - written by a young girl. We've found some great suggestions on there.

funnyperson Fri 13-Sep-13 22:46:04

Any good book written before the 21st century decreed that books without sex and violence were 'teen fiction' should be fine in my opinion.

Thus, for example, dickens, austen, thackeray, tolstoy, dostoevsky, henry james etc kafka etc. Not sure why the header for this thread relates to a 13 year old girl. Are there pink and blue books at 13?

funnyperson Fri 13-Sep-13 22:52:04

Also, btw, Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve.
Anything really, except 21st century stuff, which as I said above tends to have compulsory unacceptable sex and violence, unless they have been shortlisted for Booker or Pullitzer prizes as those books tend to be harmless enough.
Mandela Walk to Freedom, Obama biography, etc

funnyperson Fri 13-Sep-13 22:55:52

I notice that Amazon thinks that Jaqueline Wilson and Heidi are suitable for a 13 year old girl. This is dumbing down I think.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childrens_books/a1348369-Book-recommendations-for-a-13-year-old-girl-please

marzipanned Fri 13-Sep-13 23:12:20

funnyperson agree that JW would be dumbing down for the girl under discussion on this thread (based on what she's already read) but some 13 year olds are not very confident readers and something easy and accessible like JW is just the ticket. All depends really. I had read and loved some Victorian novels by that age but I honestly take my hat off to a 13 year old who reads Tolstoy/Dostoevsky/Kafka/James. Possibly most patient 13 year old in the world...

smeraldina Fri 13-Sep-13 23:20:14

Indeed funnyperson. Jane Eyre was a great hit with me at 12. Also Conan Doyle's, The Hound of the Baskervilles. Noel Streatfeild's The Painted Garden. But I really can't rave enough about Homecoming. I read it again a few months ago before giving it to a goddaughter. It's about four children making a lone roadtrip through part of America. Very well written, moving and exciting.

smeraldina Fri 13-Sep-13 23:21:36

Oh, what about Durrell, My Family and Other Animals?

TummyMummy36 Fri 13-Sep-13 23:32:01

I remember reading Nancy Drew cases and files at 13. Can't agree more about the violence and sexual references that pop up these days in otherwise innocuous books...

I thought A Monster calls by Patrick Ness was good. So was Wonder (R J Palacio)

A firm fav of mine at 14 was The Mayor of Casterbridge, Thomas Hardy. Also Agatha Christie mysteries.

BadSeedsAddict Fri 13-Sep-13 23:40:16

Meg Rosoff is an amazing teenage author. I enjoy her books and find them moving, even as an adult.

ItsaTIARA Fri 13-Sep-13 23:43:10

Agree Durrell, maybe have another go at adult Pratchett. Georgette Heyer, Arthur C Clarke, Naomi Novik's Temeraire books, Anne McCaffery, Agatha Christie, Dorothy L Sayers.

Modern I still like Artemis Fowl and Young Bond for light relief. Frances Hardinge is v good. Neil Gaiman is excellent (try Neverwhere and Stardust).

TummyMummy36 Fri 13-Sep-13 23:44:05

The Fault in our stars, John Green was simply beautiful. Major hit with teens, looking at the fan following in FB for John Green. Movie of the book is in production as well...

ProudNameChanger Sat 14-Sep-13 00:43:35

MmeLindor That's my daughter's blog!! grin

OP if your daughter has read The Gunslinger, she will likely enjoy the rest of the Dark Tower series, there are 7 other books, the last of which is sort of a prequel to The Gunslinger.

WhiteandGreen Sat 14-Sep-13 01:22:24

Little Women.

goingtobefree Sat 14-Sep-13 01:27:13

Funnyperson -the title is because I have two girls,we certainly dont do pink and blue in anything or differentiate that certain things are only for girls. Infact she likes detective, sci fi, dystopian stories.
She has never been interested in JW/Cathy Cassidy.
Read Twilight mainly due to peer pressure but gave up after the second book.
Can't agree with you more about books written before 21st century.
That's why I suggested Dracula. She has read MFAOA.
She is a voracious reader and has read lot of books recommended here.
Mortal engines,chaos walking trilogy .

exexpat Sat 14-Sep-13 01:33:46

Has she read any Jenny Valentine, in particular Finding Violet Park?

And has anyone mentioned Meg Rosoff or Patrick Ness?

OpheliaMonarch Sat 14-Sep-13 02:40:43

These two series of books have female leads of around 12-15 years, and are so good I registered with MN just to pass them on to you!

- 'Skulduggery Pleasant' by Derek Landy, the entire series (also read brilliantly on iTunes audiobook!).

- 'The Thirteen Treasures' series by Michelle Harrison.

Both series are available on kindle and I'm sure adults would love them too. (My DH and I certainly did.)

Would also second (third?) Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching books.

Also Philip Pullman's 'Northern Lights' etc, and his other series that I think starts with 'The Ruby In The Smoke'.

And how about 'The Secret Garden'? I still love that one myself.

This is my first post, hope I'm doing it right smile

goingtobefree Sat 14-Sep-13 07:03:02

OpheliaMonarch - Thanks for your suggestions and welcome to MN

paperlantern Sat 14-Sep-13 07:28:11

daughter of the empire brilliant fantasy book (and I'm not a massive fantasy fan)

I read a lot of Jean Plaidy at that age. I could pick them up cheap in a charity shop and gave a interest in history

Bearleigh Sat 14-Sep-13 07:28:53

When I was 13 there was a range of books for teenagers under the imprint of Peacock. Puffins for older kids I think.

I loved the following from this:

King of the Barbareens by Janet Hitchen
The Constant Nymph by Margaret Kennedy
The Endless Steppe by Esther Hautzig

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now