Book recommendations for 12years old girl

(11 Posts)
CaptainSweatPants Fri 13-Sep-13 14:21:22

Has she read Philip Pullman ?

Suzie70 Fri 13-Sep-13 14:19:01

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Dancergirl Wed 21-Aug-13 22:39:08

My dd also loves HP and has also enjoyed Sophie Mackenzie, Malorie Blackman and Cornelia Funke (ink trilogy, she's finding them quite heavy going though).

And the Hinger Games.

Cherrytree2013 Sun 18-Aug-13 23:29:30

Many thanks for all your suggestions! I will deifinitely pass on all your recommendations to her!

Takver Sun 18-Aug-13 09:09:05

If she likes the HP books, I think she'd very likely enjoy Diana Wynne Jones. The Power of Three and Homeward Bounders might be good ones to start with.

DD really likes the Eragon books by Christopher Paolini - still fantasy though more traditional dragons-swords-sorcery sort of stuff

If you're looking for a change from fantasy -

She's just been reading The Misfits by James Howe which I got her after a thread on here - she says its an easy read & enjoyable, its about a group of 12 y/o friends in school.

She also likes the Casson family books - I think the first one is Saffy's Angel

Earlybird Sat 17-Aug-13 23:36:18

Suggestions from my dd:

I, Coriander by Sally Gardner
The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner
Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
The Alchemist by Michael Scott
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
Wildwood by Colin Meloy

jennifersofia Sat 17-Aug-13 23:02:11

My 12 year old has been enjoying Percy Jackson, also likes Diana Wynne Jones, and of course there is E Nesbit.

xalyssx Sat 17-Aug-13 23:00:34

Rick Riordan
Lemony Snicket
Darren Shan
Scott Westerfeld
Philip Reeves

booksteensandmagazines Sat 17-Aug-13 22:45:14

Here are a few that came to mind:
The Bell Between Worlds by Ian Johnstone is newly out - its fantasy and very well written
Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman - adventure/love story/dystopian
Scorpio Races by Maggie Steifvater - adventure/fantasy/legend
I have put together a reading list for 11/12 year olds and one for 12/13 year olds - they are graded by difficulty and there is a very brief outline of the book included in the list so you may find more appealing books on them:
www.booksteensandmagazines.com/blog/reading-list-year-7-11-to-12-year-olds
www.booksteensandmagazines.com/blog/reading-list-year-8-12-to-13-year-olds

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 17-Aug-13 22:35:53

Anything by Eoin Colfer or Antony Horowitz

Power of Five

H.I.v.e.

Dragonfly Pool

Firespell

Cherrytree2013 Sat 17-Aug-13 22:19:54

Can anyone recommend some books for my 12 years old daughter to read over the rest of the summer holiday? Her favorite books are the Harry Potter books,but I would like her to have a wider range of books to read. Please advise. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now