I'm not loving the term 'chick lit' - for teenage girls. Is there a better term?

(6 Posts)
ITCouldBeWorse Tue 16-Jul-13 17:48:05

Is girl power just too spice girls?

Any suggestions gratefully received, thanks

Campaspe Tue 16-Jul-13 19:17:12

I think it depends on what sort of books you are talking about and in what context. Sometimes I worry that the term "chick lit" is used to dismiss books that take relationships and women's lives as their major themes.

Periwinkle007 Tue 16-Jul-13 20:44:46

gosh I hadn't thought of it being used to describe books for teenage girls (mine are too little)

I don't mind it for adults but it does sound a bit wrong for teenagers.

Like Campaspe has said if you give an idea of the books perhaps we can come up with something

IndianMummy Mon 22-Jul-13 09:38:53

I'm against the term too - I rememeber listening to a Guardian podcast where an author mentioned this - I think it's this one: www.guardian.co.uk/books/audio/2013/may/24/romance-fiction-dh-lawrence-colgan-podcast

I can't for the life of me remember what she suggested calling it instead though!

The term always sounded a bit derogatory to me - not just in terms of the audience but for the authors too, but I guess others may say it's empowering. Wikipedia says other terms were coined but didn't stick.

side note: While trying to think of a better term, the word "womance" popped in to my head and refuses to leave. Now all I can hear is Jonathan Ross saying it.

floweryblue Fri 09-Aug-13 23:08:06

I think of 'chick lit' as all the rubbish I read with sparkly covers, ideal for the bus and the bonfire. I read one recently which referenced my area and was howling with laughter at the appalling research. I still read it though, and I quite enjoyed it.

I think 'chic lit' has changed though. Jilly Cooper, Jackie Collins, Shirley Conran were great. Jill Mansell and Marian Keyes have had their moments, but I think the proliferation of dreadful Irish authors (no tax to pay so publish anything) have done real damage to the genre of romantic fiction directed at women.

I wouldn't change the term to 'crap lit', even if I think it's more descriptive, because I think reading anything is better than not reading at all, especially if you are young.

What's wrong with 'love stories', that's what most chic lit books end up being.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now