Jean Plaidy for a 12 year old?

(24 Posts)
Verycold Mon 08-Jul-13 12:09:31

Would they be good for this age?

JudithOfThePiece Mon 08-Jul-13 12:18:16

I'm sure I was reading Jean Plaidy at that age, but then I've always enjoyed her books - including those written as Victoria Holt and Phillippa Carr.

Some of them have a bit of sex in, but not much really. Jean Plaidy is obviously a bit more educational but there's a lot of historical background in her 'Daughters of England' series.

I'm assuming you've read them though and are just asking if she might enjoy them? Give it a go!!

Verycold Mon 08-Jul-13 12:20:20

To my shame have to admit I haven't read them blush

JudithOfThePiece Mon 08-Jul-13 12:35:39

How have you come across them, then? Is your daughter particularly interested in history? What other books does she like?

I am biased when it comes to Plaidy/ Holt/ Carr as she is my favourite author! I think I was nearer 14 when I started reading them but only because that's when I first came across them.

I'm sure I was reading them about 12.

greenhill Mon 08-Jul-13 13:36:21

I read them at that age, they were much tamer than my usual fare of Jackie Collins, Harold Robins, Stephen King etc.

If she is interested in history, I'm sure your DD would enjoy them.

Verycold Mon 08-Jul-13 13:50:14

I just read about them somewhere.

Verycold Tue 09-Jul-13 13:42:36

Read somewhere that they are quite racy in places?

SecretSpi Tue 09-Jul-13 22:08:12

I definitely read Jean Plaidy at 12. If your daughter is interested in history and hasn't already read it, then I'd recommend "A Traveller in Time" by Alison Uttley - lovely book.

timtam23 Wed 10-Jul-13 23:12:44

I was reading Jean Plaidy at 12 - some of them anyway. They were my favourite books as a teenager, until I discovered Judy Blume I think! Some of them are a bit racy...I remember one about Lucretia Borgia in particular (didn't read that one at 12!). And descriptions of people being "lusty" blush and there are some bits where torture is mentioned (Tower of London, the rack, that sort of thing), and the French Revolution series is a bit bloodthirsty in places. The Ferdinand and Isabella trilogy (Spain) is great but has the Inquisition in it.

The Queen Victoria series is good - I still have it. And the Charles II saga, and the Georgian one and some of the Stuarts.

I had a massive collection but gave most of them away when I left home sad

WaitakereWaif Wed 10-Jul-13 23:28:42

I was racing through Plaidy books at 12 and loving them ....also Norah Lofts.

VBisme Wed 10-Jul-13 23:40:32

Loved them at that age, had a major crush on Charles 2 after reading the trilogy.

arabesque Thu 18-Jul-13 14:27:58

I moved from children's books (Chalet School, Noel Streatfeild etc) straight to Jean Plaidy. They were just right for that transition stage at a time when teenage fiction wasn't really available.

DramaAlpaca Thu 18-Jul-13 14:30:22

I did the same, straight to Jean Plaidy from children's books. I don't remember them as being particularly racy. I also loved Agatha Christie at that age.

arabesque Thu 18-Jul-13 16:31:03

Agatha Christie was my other 'transition writer' as well.

Louise1956 Sun 21-Jul-13 20:51:20

I started reading her books when I was thirteen, and I loved them. i think they would probably be okay for a twelve year old, they are a lot more historically accurate than for instance the novels of Phillipa Gregory.

Ilovegeorgeclooney Thu 25-Jul-13 23:06:50

My girls also loved Georgette Heyer at 12

I read and enjoyed them at that age -- I don't remember their being particularly racy.

Norah Lofts was more racy IIRC.

wol1968 Mon 05-Aug-13 23:23:44

I think I learned most of my history from Jean Plaidy. grin

SconeRhymesWithGone Mon 05-Aug-13 23:30:20

Loved them at that age, had a major crush on Charles 2 after reading the trilogy.

Me, too. And still have the crush.

I distinctly remember being about 13 and tucked in bed with measles or something and mum giving me a bunch of Victoria Holt books.

I loved them and never went back to the kids section of the library.

happy days. smile

Elsiequadrille Mon 19-Aug-13 23:34:50

I think I read them around that age (still have some). Vaguely racy I suppose. Never quoted them in history classes, however grin

Elsiequadrille Mon 19-Aug-13 23:36:58

Agree more accurate than Philippa Gregory.

My dc liked Georgette Heyer at that age, too (think her favourite was Arabella). I was oddly pleased.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now