Who remembers the title of this fabulous, but slightly creepy children's book?

(29 Posts)
pennyink Tue 02-Jul-13 17:27:26

A girl was very sick. She was given or found a stubby pencil and amused herself by drawing a big house. In her dreams she visited the house, so she drew a young boy at the window. She drew some large boulders around the house, and after an argument with the boy, added eyes. They then had to escape from the house...

It was a brilliant, brilliant read, and I would love to give it to dd. Anyone remember the title? I read it in the late 1970s.

Devora Wed 03-Jul-13 22:56:32

There are so many brilliant children's books, aren't there? There's a French woman working in our local bookshop who tells me that in France there is nothing like the quality and range of children's literature that we have here. I honestly think that long after my children are grown I will still have shelves full of their books that I can't bear to give away.

Devora Wed 03-Jul-13 22:57:17

Yes, IceNoSlice - I think the two main characters were called Jan and Bronia?

IceNoSlice Wed 03-Jul-13 23:04:31

I LOVED that book as a child. Wow, hadn't thought of it in years.

Wondering whether to start collecting books for DS when he's older. He's currently obsessed with 'That's not my dragon', so perhaps it's a bit early!

Devora Wed 03-Jul-13 23:05:08

I've never met anyone who's read The Dolphin Crossing, and it is out of print (though Amazon has it second hand) but it is a brilliant book. My brothers and I were obsessed with it. It's about two boys from different sides of the tracks who run away to take a little boat to Dunkirk. It has a very sad ending sad. Hugely recommended, especially for boys around 9-10, I should think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now