July picture book of the month: Big Bear's Bottom by Steve Smallman

(36 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 02-Jul-13 09:57:12

July's picture book choice is Big Bear's Bottom, the story of a loveable bear who gets into all manner of mishaps with his enormous bottom that just keeps getting in the way. If you think you're dcs will enjoy reading this funny tale from award winning author Steve Smallman apply for a free copy and come back to let us know what they think on this thread.

apentry Tue 17-Sep-13 19:41:29

Me, my partner and my little boy (19 months) love 'Big Bears Botom'. We read it over and over and he especially likes the page with the pictures of Big Bears bottom and the fox jumping out. It has also helped his volcabulary as he can now say fox and moster. Thank you mumsnet

mcupples Thu 15-Aug-13 08:35:39

That is a lovely book! It is funny and entertaining. My baby loved looking at the pictures and hearing the rhymes! I would recommend it!

Thanks for my copy of this book. Read it to my 2 DCs (DS 6 and DD 3) and a visiting female friend (6). They all giggled through the first part, mostly due to the word bottom, then turned more serious when bear falls out with his friends because his bottom squashes the birthday cake. They liked the ending when bear scares away the fox that is going to eat his friends. Overall they enjoyed it and DD has asked for it several times since as a bedtime story.

xxxlivelifexxx Sat 03-Aug-13 03:36:25

Thank you so much for my copy.
My girls loved this 8 and 4, captured them straight away with the name. A good rhyming book that girls enjoy, pictures girls loved which stated lots of little conversation.
They love to read themselves and with me.
My eldest 8 years old, has copied the story out a couple times.
Nice book. Many thanks xx

Blatherskite Fri 02-Aug-13 22:46:33

We gave this book the ultimate test last week. We were on holiday and DD (3) took this as her bedtime story. She didn't want to take anything else so we ended up reading it every. single. night. and sometimes during the day too!

I'm still not sick of it wink

Definitely a good book.

Kiwirose Mon 29-Jul-13 19:45:37

I have tried this book out on several occasions and my 4 year old twins both love it - so it is definitely Ok for both boys and girls. they love the fact that they can guess the last word of the stanza (because it is bottom every time) and my daughter in particular loves the fact that there is ne picture that is viewed longways as opposed to all the other illustrations which are viewed the conventional way. they got Grandpa reading the book several times on the day he visited so it is definitely a success........but as several f you have mentioned, anything that seays the word bottom is always a hit.

Great book for boys and girls

Princesspond Thu 25-Jul-13 19:35:40

Received this book for my 5 year old dd and 3 yr old DS. Both of them like the book. They like the rhyming text and also the words in the illustrations that they can read. My ds loves the 'monster' part and wants to keep looking back at that page. I find it a good book to read, flows really well and fun to read. Thank you.

cherylnconrad24 Thu 25-Jul-13 08:37:26

I really like this book. My son is 2.5 years old and enjoys books for 2 minutes then gets bored. However with this he LOVED it! Story is great, pictures are great. Its a lovely book. I thought it was very colorful which is a good thing. Nothing i can fault about the book if im honest. My son laughed everytime at the word 'bottom' we enjoy reading it together. Thank you so much for a great book

bkaz Wed 24-Jul-13 19:37:17

Thanks for my copy. I read it to my 5 year old son. He loves it and the illustrations were beautifully done. Rhyming was great and it shows the meaning of true friends.

We didn't get a free copy but I bought this as a present for my dd's nursery. She took it in this morning for her last morning and as we left her teachers were saying how good it was and how they had read it several times already! I think it's a big hit smile

johnworf Tue 23-Jul-13 17:14:25

DD aged 5 loves this book. Especially when bear chases the fox away.

Illustrations are lovely too. We've read this 4 nights running though and although she loves it I know the words pretty much off by heart!

AugustRose Mon 22-Jul-13 22:33:31

I really like this book, the story is similar to others we have read but I love the illustrations, bright and colourful with lots to see and talk about in the pictures with DS2 (2). My DD2 (6) hasn't had a chance to read it yet but I know she's going to find the much repeated 'bottom' very very funny.
Thank you for a lovely book.

lolapops1 Mon 22-Jul-13 12:24:43

Little one absolutely loves this book we have to read it over and over again.
Its a bit of a tongue twister.
Like that it tells a story of friendship.
Thought it was a bit similar to the gruffalo though,some of the animation is very similar as well.
Would recommend this book to other parents.

Received our copy, thank you. DS and Dh loved it, though DS was a little sad when big bear hid after his bottom caused a lot of trouble! He loved the big bear bottom monster tree as well. It was a lovely book.

NoWomanNoCry Sun 21-Jul-13 14:54:52

Thank you for the free copy. What a fantastic book, my children absolutely loved it. Obviously with the word 'bottom' being used so regularly in the book, they were in hysterics most of the time. A good read that my reception class children could read themselves.

CaptainJamesTKirk Sun 21-Jul-13 08:49:28

What a sweet little book! Unfortunately my DS didn't think the same because he has a slightly irrational fear of foxes (thanks to the gruffalo) and I hadn't realised there was a fox in it until I started reading it to him. Very sweet story and the illustrations are lovely. Although they did the dreaded landscape to portrait thing on one of the pages which I really dislike for some reason. We did enjoy it and liked that bear's big bottom saves the day.

Doogle2 Sat 20-Jul-13 12:45:48

My 6 year old son has been so excited waiting for this book. He wasn't disappointed when it arrived. Anything with the word 'bottom' in it is sure to entertain. We read it together and he also reads it on his own.
The pictures are lovely. He has asked to take it on holiday as he loves it.
Thank you

joolzy Sat 20-Jul-13 07:48:56

Hi
We shared this with our 4yo DS last night, he loved this, he could see the funny side of the bear with the big bottom but also how hurtful people could be when someones a little bit different.

A lovely story with a message.

CaptainJamesTKirk Fri 19-Jul-13 22:50:01

Received ours yesterday... Will review for you tomorrow.

rennie1811 Fri 19-Jul-13 21:25:39

I received this book yesterday and read it to my daughters as their bedtime story, they loved it. My youngest liked the pictures. She kept pointing at the bear and saying bottom which she found very funny. My eldest (6) also really enjoyed it. The story flows nicely and is easy to read. I agree with another poster that said there is plenty of opportunities for funny voices. My daughter enjoyed taking it in turns with me to provide the voices and she too loved the fact that it was about a bears bottom!!

Blatherskite Fri 19-Jul-13 13:53:54

I read it again with DS and DD last night at bedtime. DH walked in and was enjoying it too. It's definitely a nice book to read. It flows well and has plenty of opportunities for funny voices to make the children giggle. Both DH and DS found the repeated use of the word "bottom" funny too!

It's a really lovely book

HazelDormouse Fri 19-Jul-13 13:07:58

We received our copy today. Great book, lovely, colourful illustrations. Ds was a little unsure when he saw the cover of the book, however, he decided he rather liked the big bear at the end as he was kind to his friends. It has been decided that the white mouse is his favourite toy and the big bear is the five foot, big bottomed and cross eyed animal which is currently living in his bedroom, having been thrown out by other members of my family. (It looks like a real life bear.) Thank you once more Mumsnet.

PSG1968 Fri 19-Jul-13 12:45:01

Oooh what a lovely book had such fun reading it with my 4year old!! any thing with the word bottom made her laugh!! even my SD (13) was sitting with us & enjoyed the story

PeterParkerSays Fri 19-Jul-13 09:33:00

Our copy arrived yesterday. I was so chuffed and DS wanted it read to him striaght away. We liked the rhyming prose, and the bear walking along with a tree on his bottom. I like the little comic asides made by the other characters, seperate to the main text. DS wasn't particularly interested in them, but they made me smile which is always important if you've got to reread the thing again and again.

iwantavuvezela Fri 19-Jul-13 09:23:34

Thank you for the book which arrived yesterday. I loved the bright illustrations, and rhyming text. My DD liked the idea of bears big bottom and appealed to her sense of humour! I am going to use the book as well with my 6 year old who needs to read with more expression. This book has lovely characters, easy to read, and will be a good tool to do this with her. Thank you for the book, it gets a thumbs up from our house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now