The summer library challenge - I am doing it too, recommendations needed

(36 Posts)
mixedmamameansbusiness Fri 28-Jun-13 12:55:41

This summer I am doing the library challenge with my DC, the theme is creepy and magical so I need a six book short list. I like classics and know I can find a good few gothic novels amongst them but also want to try something different - I have never read Stephen King for example.

All ideas greatly received to be added to my already huge to read list.

We have never done it before, how will the DC know what they can pick from? Is there a special section etc?

It's not really meant to be a competitive scheme. One of the aims of it is to keep children attending the library throughout the summer holidays. Defeating the object to race through it as fast as you can.

The Garlic stickers truly stink btw! grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Jul-13 07:57:54

I know Bear but you try explaining that one to my dd smile.

mixedmamameansbusiness Thu 11-Jul-13 20:09:15

Haha, looking forward to the smelly stickers.

Try telling my three it's not a race! Dd1 read a Wimpy kid diary in the car on a trip today. Ds insisted on reading one of his in the car and on the beach today. Hard work as although he can blend he forgets lots of the sounds, he's very motivated. Dd2 not started but we only got them this morning!

Need to find some harder books for dd1.

LaraMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 17-Jul-13 10:07:03

Hi everyone,

The Reading Agency will be running a twitter competition with us, whereby you could win one of three buddles of children's books for ages 4-6, 7-9 or 10-11years. For more information about the competition, or to find out more about the cause, then check out our Summer Reading Challenge page.

Rowgtfc72 Wed 17-Jul-13 19:52:20

This will be the third year dd has done the summer reading scheme, the first year she was three and I read to her, this year is chapter books Our library is also doing a Creepy house Quiz and a Creepy house puppet thing but Im a bit miffed this is only for age seven and upwards.

Blatherskite Wed 17-Jul-13 22:30:08

This sounds perfect for DS. He can read but it takes motivation. I'll take him to our library next week when he breaks up and get him signed up smile

Blatherskite Wed 17-Jul-13 22:32:25

How do we enter the competition LaraMumsnet?

The Summer reading challenge page says "To be in with a chance of winning, make sure you're following @mumsnetbookclub and @readingagency using #SummerReadingChallenge"

Should that be 'and tweet using #SummerReadingChallenge'??

LaraMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 18-Jul-13 15:36:02

Blatherskite

How do we enter the competition LaraMumsnet?

The Summer reading challenge page says "To be in with a chance of winning, make sure you're following @mumsnetbookclub and @readingagency using #SummerReadingChallenge"

Should that be 'and tweet using #SummerReadingChallenge'??

Hi Blatherskite,

Sorry if the instructions weren't clear, basically @mumsnetbookclub will tweet using the hashtag #SummerReadingChallenege announcing what bundle we're giving away, and all you have to do is RT

DeeKirkby Wed 31-Jul-13 11:07:56

It's so nice to find another adult doing this! I'm doing Summer Reading Challenge because I am a Patron of Reading at a primary academy. So far I have read The Grunts in Trouble (MG) and Winter Town (YA).

DeWe Thu 01-Aug-13 21:28:42

It used to give you a list of authors at each point. Although it was sometimes a hassle finding them, I preferred that as it encouraged them to try books they wouldn't otherwise look at.

As it stands my younger pair are doing it, but they'd read 6+ books easily (last year we did it within a week) anyway, so it doesn't really do much for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now