I have fallen in love with Dr Seuss books! What's your favourite?

(65 Posts)
fuzzpig Tue 25-Jun-13 20:22:17

Never really saw any as a child although I was aware of them, but last year we all adored the Lorax film and gave DD the book of it (well, Father Christmas did grin), and I've been getting loads out of the library since then as they are just so brilliant.

I love reading them aloud, the rhyme and rhythm just make it a real pleasure. I just gave DD Horton Hears a Who for her 6th birthday which was equally brilliant, and a particular favourite of those we've borrowed is One Fish Two Fish - DD read this and some others herself and really enjoyed reading the made up creature names (Mr Gump's Seven Hump Wump, anyone? grin). She also liked Wacky Wednesday although the illustrations aren't by Seuss. I really liked Gerald McBoingBoing too (we used to watch it on Milkshake!).

What are your/your children's favourites?

DeeKirkby Wed 31-Jul-13 11:10:18

I have two favourites - The Sneetches and The Lorax

gintastic Tue 16-Jul-13 12:41:14

Oh The Places You'll Go. I have a copy for each of my kids and have asked their teachers to write in it at the end of the school year. Will be a present for when they leave school :-)

Must go dig them out, now you mention it...

BeCool Tue 16-Jul-13 12:32:49

I can recite "Fox in Sox" by heart! Breaking into "now let's have a little talk about tweetle beetles ...." is one of my best distraction techniques smile

I love them all esp The Lorax, but my absolute fav is "I Had Trouble In Getting To Solla Sollew" - where they never have troubles, at least very few - fantastic!

californialadybug Tue 16-Jul-13 00:43:02

My giant Cat in the Hat (4 feet tall, with his hat) sits in a rocking chair in our front window every year in March for his birthday week, the windowsill filled with Dr. Seuss classics: wonderful, whimsical ways to help children fall in love, again and again, with words. At Halloween, he returns to the window, dressed in a starry cape and wizard's hat and wand, the windowsill now filled with spooooky stories.

fuzzpig Mon 15-Jul-13 21:54:33

I had to google primageniture grin

Went to the Works the other day as it was mentioned upthread. The little (but unabridged) dr Seuss books were 59p each and on BOGOF! shock Sadly they only had 3 different titles (wocket in my pocket, mr brown can moo, and mulberry street) but I will check again soon.

duchesse Mon 15-Jul-13 21:46:01

Oh and haven't read Horton but have seen the film and suspect it's quite loyal to the book. Also very good. Apart from the minor primogeniture issue of the 96 daughters and only one son.

duchesse Mon 15-Jul-13 21:43:40

The Places You'll Go.

Hands down favourite and it's not even one of the ones I owned as a child. I like to give it to young adults as they head for university.

BearsLikeMarmalade Mon 15-Jul-13 21:27:39

Completely agree with partystress. I also love 'The Sneetches & Other Stories' and bought DS a copy years ago, waiting for when he was old enough to enjoy it. We started reading it a couple of months ago and he loves it. I love the way it deals with big, important themes. I swear if everyone read it we'd be a few steps closer to world peace.

MarjorieAntrobus Mon 15-Jul-13 21:13:19

Daisy Head Maisie - hasn't been mentioned yet.
The Cat in the Hat, obvious one but the DCs loved it, plus we had an early PC animation game thingy of it.

(I love the sound of The Places You'll Go, and am going to find a copy pdq)

partystress Mon 15-Jul-13 21:01:30

Another vote for The Sneetches - great for teaching about inclusion, racism, peer pressure. Dr S was one of THE great philosophers IMHO. (Mind you, if you had keystroke record and could see how many goes I had to have at 'philosophers', you might think he wasn't that hot at passing on spelling tips!)

Musthavetea Mon 15-Jul-13 20:52:02

I love his books and take great pleasure from perfecting my 'Cat' voice for Cat in a Hat. And I can't help but grin at the line 'could you would you with a goat' in Green Eggs and Ham!
Also gave a copy of 'The Places You'll Go' to my brother when he graduated from University. He now reads it to his daughter.

NettleTea Mon 15-Jul-13 20:48:34

I learned to read with Dr Seuss way back in the late 60's so have a particular soft spot for them. I was more than a little excited when we visited Universal Studios in Florida and there was a whole land devoted to Seuss

theonlywayisbristol Mon 15-Jul-13 19:55:44

The Sneetches featuring my all time favourite Too Many Daves. My 11 yr old still knows The Zax off by heart.

DJTF Mon 15-Jul-13 19:41:07

The Sleep Book is fantastic. The best bedtime book of all time. My DCs loved it when I left them to guess the last word to complete the rhyme. Real training in poetry and music, and so much fun.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 03-Jul-13 17:38:07

Has to be Green Eggs and Ham. It was always my favourite and now dd can read, I just love love her reading it to me. Its a must for any child named Sam too smile

iseenodust Wed 03-Jul-13 10:05:48

One fish two fish
I saw it on Mulberry St. has great illustrations.

DS had a really good lift the flap Seuss book (100 flaps) that was an anniversary edition but I've never seen it since to give as a present.

suzannened Tue 02-Jul-13 14:04:20

I read some of Oh the Places You'll Go at my brother's wedding ( think if he could have, he would have had Green Eggs & Ham). And I'm using Hop on Pop for a bit of practice reading for 5yo DS - who also loves Green Eggs & Ham

fuzzpig Tue 02-Jul-13 13:57:42

DH doesn't like them either. The illustrations freak him out!

freetrait Tue 02-Jul-13 13:21:26

I don't like them...(whispers). DD (4) got "I had trouble in getting to Solla Sollew" out of the library. She likes it so I have had the pleasure of reading it to her a good few times. I definitely do not like it...sorry....just doesn't hit those pleasure buttons for me (although seems like it does for DD!)

DuchessofMalfi Tue 02-Jul-13 13:16:08

I love The Lorax - my favourite. I took DD to see the film last year and she loved it too. DS enjoys Fox in Socks for all the silly tongue twisters, and Green Eggs and Ham.

DH was introduced to them when his dad brought them back from a trip to America when DH was little. He was the one who introduced them to me - I hadn't read any as a child. Now I adore the stories, and the really complex and daft illustrations.

Wallace Tue 02-Jul-13 11:53:50

Current favourite is Great Day for Up

Snazzywaitingforsummer Tue 02-Jul-13 11:49:52

There's a nice set on Amazon that I have bought as a present for people with new babies:

Dr. Seuss's Beginner Book Collection: The Cat in the Hat / One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish / Green Eggs and Ham / Hop on Pop / Fox in Socks [Hardcover]

It's great. We also flew with Emirates a few years ago and got small copies of Oh The Thinks You Can Think! and Oh, The Places You'll Go! in the kids' goody bags on the flights. You've got to like that.

feetheart Tue 02-Jul-13 11:18:44

We had a shortened, slightly adapted, version of 'Oh The Places You'll Go' as the reading at our wedding smile

'Green eggs and ham' was great with fussy-eating DD when she was small and we can both probably still recite it all (she is now 10 and has hollow legs smile)

SmellsLikeWeenSpirits Tue 02-Jul-13 11:17:28

I bought a big box set from the works. I think it was about £30. They have them on ebay too

fuzzpig Tue 02-Jul-13 11:11:22

Read Yertle the Turtle, Gertrude McFuzz and the Big Brag to DD the other day. Thumbs up! Especially Yertle.

I've noticed you can get Seuss books on iPad - they are cheaper than paperbacks so am very tempted but not sure I want to go down the eBook route with DD yet... <dilemma>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now