Can you recommend some great poetry books for 8 and 9 year olds?

(12 Posts)
intheshed Sat 13-Jul-13 11:50:57

Michael Rosen? The kids in my year 3 class LOVE his poetry. You can watch videos on youtube of him performing his poems, it makes the kids laugh out loud. Their favourite is Chocolate Cake.

IndianMummy Sat 13-Jul-13 11:48:54

Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes!

Please Mrs Butler! Great poem!!!

ellesabe Sun 23-Jun-13 22:36:13

I loved The Curse of the Vampire's Socks smile

Laquila Thu 20-Jun-13 09:52:26

Please Mrs Butler! (Ahlbergs)

drwitch Thu 20-Jun-13 09:50:15

both mine love wendy cope anthology

Roger McGoughs You Tell Me collection if poems.

Quangle Thu 20-Jun-13 09:43:34

Second I Like This Poem. I had it as a child and read it obsessively. DD now has it and also enjoys it.

We also have a Poems for Every Day book which is fun to dip into.

Blueskiesandbuttercups Sun 16-Jun-13 09:11:56

Great,will look out for those.

Periwinkle007 Sat 15-Jun-13 13:26:57

Miles Kelly's Poems for Young Children might still be suitable, it has over 300 poems, many of them classics and is beautifully illustrated. I think the title is a little misleading as whilst yes it is suitable for young children I think that limits it a little, I can see my daughter's loving it for many many years to come.

Slightly old fashioned but still lovely is the one edited by Louis Untermeyer. Sorry, can't remember name! Also The Rattle Bag (this time can't remember editor!) and anything by Roger McGough for more contemporary poetry. I Like This Poem edited by Kaye Webb is chosen by kids of all ages.
We love poetry in our house! smile

Blueskiesandbuttercups Sat 15-Jun-13 10:16:58

Tiagrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now