Favourite teen books from your dim and distant pasts!

(45 Posts)
madamehooch Tue 28-May-13 11:10:01

Not really adult books we used to read long before we should have done but books aimed at teenagers. I remember reading 'Waiting for the Sky to Fall' by Jacqueline Wilson no less, long before she reached Tracy Beaker fame. I also recall thinking that I would never want to read anything other than the four books in the 'Little Women' series. Obviously, I did but this feeling I had when I was 12 inspired me to set up children's reading groups throughout the city where I live, to encourage children 'stuck in a rut' with their reading to try something new. I think I may have my original Louisa May Alcott's somewhere, purchased from a charity shop for my birthday and covered in blue flowery wallpaper with fancy writing on the front done by my sister!

Colyngbourne Sat 01-Jun-13 14:20:04

The Outsiders
the Jean Ure books - See You Thursday (and sequels); If It Weren't for Seb; Plague 99 series
Z for Zachariah

More than anything - Aidan Chambers: Dance on My Grave, Breaktime, The Toll Bridge

and Robert Westall - Devil on the Road

insanityscratching Fri 31-May-13 17:27:26

I remember reading the Nancy Drew series and the Hardy Boys series. Chalet school series,1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World, Judy Blume, Little House on the Prarie loads and loads of books really.
Dd1 used to read the Charmed series, anything by Jacqueline Wilson or Sarah Dressen.

Takver Thu 30-May-13 11:24:56

KMP is really more teen than horsey, I think (kind of teens-with-horses, I suppose).

YoniOneWayOfLife Thu 30-May-13 10:09:45

Ah now I'm googling and finding the Pullien- Thompson sisters horsey books - I'm thinking I remember them more than KMP.

TheBirdsFellDownToDingADong Thu 30-May-13 09:48:14

Go Ask Alice and Moi, Christiane F (poss the book just called Christian F)

Make all our kids read both, they'll never even light a spliff wink

TheBirdsFellDownToDingADong Thu 30-May-13 09:46:57

I need all of these for me!! grin

Be aware of the "dirty black man" thing with the L Shaped Room (and of course the trollopy daughter getting chucked out by her Dad when she gets pregnant issue) It is very dated in places, but the love stories are the best ever. (I often wonder if Toby was a real person and LRB is Jane in some way)

though I repeat, I am still very cross with LRB that she introduced such a pathetic man for Jane to end up with

YoniOneWayOfLife Thu 30-May-13 09:37:03

The Rats of Nimh
Little House on the Prairie

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 29-May-13 22:08:10

Robert Cormier books like The Bumblebee Flies Anyway,

TwllBach Wed 29-May-13 21:54:31

sunnybob I loved Dicey! And maybeth and the brothers. There was a book called Dicey's Song, the second one I think. I can't remember what the first one was called though.

MrsOakenshield Wed 29-May-13 21:47:08

The Writing on the Wall about an Irish/Polish girl who becomes a punk and has a boyfriend called Kev (she's Teresa changed to Tracy) and they go to Amsterdam and he puts some heroin in her luggage.Or something. Neo-Nazis are involved somewhere too. Bloody great book. Think that might have been Jean Ure as well.

And there was another good one about a girl, a punk again I think, who makes her own clothes but get sent to learn sewing properly from an old lady.

Yes, lots of post-apocalyptic stuff here too! Odd as I was utterly oblivious to the nuclear threat going on at the time!

deleted203 Wed 29-May-13 21:34:00

'Pennington series, Flambards, 'Prove Yourself a Hero' and 'Dear Fred' - K M Peyton
'The Dark is Rising' series by Susan Cooper
Dianna Wynne Jones
'The House with a Clock in it's Walls' (and others) by John Bellairs
'The Outsiders' - SE Hinton
An awful lot of post apocalypse stuff (teen of the 80s!) such as 'Brother in the Land' by Robert E Swindells and 'Z for Zachariah'...
'Easy Freedom' by Liz Berry

We passed a lot of stuff around at school, such as 'Lace' grin and 'Flowers in the Attic'. (Also read 'The Story of 'O' at some point in my mid teens - which a friend 'borrowed' from her mother and passed on to all of us. '50 Shades' from the 1950s!).

I also read a lot of older books at home, such as Agatha Christies, Mary Stewart, Dick Francis, Jack Higgins.

MrsOakenshield Wed 29-May-13 21:25:34

Jean Ure! Loved her stuff back then, this one was brilliant, and I always fancied the boy on the cover

sunnybobs Wed 29-May-13 21:24:07

I loved a Cynthia Voight series about some siblings on a journey to a grandparents house when their mother had a breakdown. Eldest daughter was called Dicey but can't remember the series of books - they developed over several books though! Also I never gave up my Chalet School love regardless of age grin

MrsOakenshield Wed 29-May-13 21:19:21

Pennington books
L shaped room books - Lynne Reid Banks in general, My Darling Villain is a good one
S E Hinton
Stephen King
James Herbert
Virginia Andrews
Shirley Conran - Lace
Jilly Cooper romance novels - Bella, Imogen etc
The Fortunate Few - this was a Puffin Plus (Puffin's teenage list, excellent stuff, don't know if it still exists) book about gymnastics
I think I probably started reading PD James crime books as a teen, they would have been lying around the house, parents were big crime fans

oooh, sure there's loads more, my obsession with reading would have been at it's peak as a teenager, but got lots from the library so can't remember them all now!

MoodyDidIt Wed 29-May-13 21:19:15

the "making out" series, can't remember who wrote them, was set on an island off the coast of maine, there was 20+ books in the series, it was like a soap opera

everything by judy blume and paula danziger

sweet valley high blush

"junk" by melvin burgess

will be back with some more, as i was an absolute bookworm as a teen

Takver Wed 29-May-13 21:13:32

Oh, and another one (which I have funnily enough just bought second hand to reread for dd - The Homeward Bounders by Diana Wynne Jones.

Takver Wed 29-May-13 21:12:09

I also remember loving Dear Fred by KM Peyton, about Fred Archer the jockey. I'd love to know whether it was actually any good, or whether I just liked it because I have a slight family connection to him.

I also can't remember whether it was that book or another that had lots about the suffragettes in it.

VashtaNerada Wed 29-May-13 21:07:38

Was just about to say Stranger with my face!! Great book. Loved The Eyes of Karen Connors too which was similar.

bootsycollins Wed 29-May-13 21:06:30

July Blume and Paula Zandiger

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 29-May-13 21:04:28

Wow, thanks MrsRandom flowers

MrsRandom78 Wed 29-May-13 21:03:21

Doctrine - stranger with my face. I still have a copy!!

Book I used to love about a girl who runs away to Canada to find her sister who had run away a few years before. Met a boy and fell in love along the way. Title was something about the moon I think. Would love to read it again!

McPrice Wed 29-May-13 21:01:32

my favourite books as a teenage girl were once in a house on fire, jane ayre, bridget jones

bigTillyMint Wed 29-May-13 20:55:35

Yes, yes, the L-shaped room set! I got them from the library aged about 12 or maybe 13. Loved them.

Got into other 60's stuff (that was probably a bit old for me) like A kind of Loving...

Went onto crap like Jilly Cooper!

peggotty Wed 29-May-13 20:54:13

Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Green.

exexpat Wed 29-May-13 20:53:57

(some of those not necessarily aimed at teenagers but had teenage protagonists - eg Gormenghast, My Brilliant Career - or were just very popular with teens at the time, like the Hitchhiker series)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now