Sainsburys have published some early reader fiction books

(5 Posts)
Periwinkle007 Sat 04-May-13 13:21:54

perhaps she will be ready for them over the summer holiday. the jump to chapter books is quite a big one I think which is why I think these look a good length.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 03-May-13 22:05:00

Had a look but don't think dd is ready for them yet, they do look good though. Will wait a couple of months then take her in to have a look. Thanks again.

ChildrensStoriesNet Sat 27-Apr-13 13:58:40

Being a hard up working mum I've been collecting free stories online, some are quite good and being free save the bills a bit. There's loads out there, Google: Children's Stories

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 26-Apr-13 19:07:23

Will have a look. Thanks Peri

Periwinkle007 Fri 26-Apr-13 13:40:16

I saw them this morning when at the shops, there are 20 I think, variety of stories including ghosts, monsters, dinosaurs, football, fairies, lots of animals, some witches etc. I bought 2 for my 5.5 year old to try (she is reading early readers/simpler chapter books) but I had about 5 I quite liked. £3 each. variety of authors including Dick King-Smith, Jaqueline Wilson, Sandii Toksvig, well known illustrators like Tony Ross. 66 pages each I think, one story across 4 chapters, big print and a colour picture on each page. my very rough guess is the language is probably about book band 8ish, and also the number of sentances/words on a page but laid out like a chapter book and longer overall so probably about book band 9ish? Easier I think than the red bananas we have had and the usborne young reading series 1 books.

hope that helps someone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now