What shall I get 7 year old DD next?

(11 Posts)
bubblesinthesky Thu 18-Apr-13 13:11:43

DD is 7 1/2.

She's read most of the younger Roald Dahls, Princess Mirrorbelle, some Enid Blytons for younger children - eg Mr. Twiddle, Mr. Meddle, Mr. Pinkwhistle. Also had Diary of a wimpy kid and is currently whizzing through The Worst Witch for her school books and Horrible History books at home.

What next?

CorrieDale Thu 18-Apr-13 13:20:52

Secret seven and famous five. The How to train your dragon series is absolutely ace.

Periwinkle007 Thu 18-Apr-13 17:35:21

Charlotte's Web, Gobbolino the Witches Cat, Magic Faraway Tree, Ramona, Five Dolls in a House (if it is still in print - I have an old copy on the bookcase), Dick King Smith books, The Adventure series by Enid Blyton (Ship of Adventure, Castle of Adventure etc) Carbonel (think thats what it is called)

bubblesinthesky Fri 19-Apr-13 09:51:36

great ideas thank you.

Weve got the secret seven books but she's showing no interest in them yet. I think she's read one or two famous five so will certainly get more. The Adventure books are fabulous I think they were my favourite so will try to get a pile of those.

I forgot all about Dick King Smith

Thank you

Periwinkle007 Fri 19-Apr-13 13:17:09

I never liked Secret Seven as much myself. The adventure ones were my favourite too.

Dick King Smith are great because they can span so many ages. What about the Secret Garden? I am not sure what age that really is for but Usborne Young Reading Series 2/3/4 have versions of some of the older classic stories. my 5.5 year old likes the series 1 books (book band 10) and 2/3/4 are harder so must be more in depth stories I would assume.

Heidi? Is she too old for the Winnie the Witch chapter books? They are book band 11ish so must be aimed at about yr2 ages I assume. There are 4 stories in a book. Possibly too young for Mallory Towers or Twins at St Claires but might be worth a try as they are quite harmless reading.

bringonyourwreckingball Fri 19-Apr-13 13:22:24

My 7 year old is enjoying the Hobbit at the moment. She started Swallows and Amazons but I'm not sure how she's getting on with that. She's quite enjoying Mallory Towers

freetrait Fri 19-Apr-13 14:59:27

I just bought my niece this www.amazon.co.uk/Pongwiffy-Witch-Dirty-Habits-book/dp/0747596921/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366379848&sr=1-2&keywords=pongwiffy

I'm not sure what it's like though and may be rather revolting! I got it as DS loved Kaye Umansky's rhyming books.

pollywollydoodle Fri 19-Apr-13 15:22:12

all of the david walliams books are great

if she likes the style of the wimpy kid books, she would prob like the Tom Gates series

Has she read anything by the 100 mile an hour dog author...jeremy strong, i think. dd loved him.

pollywollydoodle Fri 19-Apr-13 15:42:03

and the sue mongredien series about oliver moon..dd read them at the same time as the worst witch series.

LoveSewingBee Fri 19-Apr-13 21:59:14

Mr Majeika
Pippi Longstocking
Alice in Wonderland
Pinocchio
Usborne Greek Myths
Classic fairytales

also fact books about an area she is interested in

EggsEggSplat Fri 19-Apr-13 22:11:53

Molly Moon books by Georgia Byng
Judy Moody series
Madame Pamplemousse series
Lots of Eva Ibbotson - Not Just a Witch, Monster Mission, Secret of Platform 13 etc
Anna Hibiscus books by Atinuke
Jack Stalwart series

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now