Saddest Harry Potter moment?

(50 Posts)
Verycold Sun 14-Apr-13 23:53:59

Dobbie's death, no question.

Also feel very moved by Harry not being able to tear himself away from the mirror where he can see his parents.

SanityClause Sat 27-Apr-13 08:03:30

Sirius's death. He was Harry's chance at being part of an (albeit small) family. He found him, then a couple of years later, he had died.

Dobby's death is also very sad.

When I read the books to DD2, I could barely read from crying when Harry walks into the forest to meet Voldemort. I'm welling up a bit now, just thinking about it.

It's not sad but my favourite movie moment out of any movie is when Prof McGonagall transfigures all the suits of armour and statues and shouts "Hogwarts is threatened! Man the boundaries!" Gets me every time.

And yes the whole Snape saga is quite possibly the saddest thing. Awful homelife as a child, horribly bullied at school, having anunrequited love that lasts decades, being hated and vilified, and then to top it off having to kill the only person that ever trusted and liked you. <wails uncontrollably>

HootShoot Sat 27-Apr-13 08:04:37

Definitely Harry going to face his death and all his loved ones supporting him. I feel emotional just thinking about it!

singaporeswing Sat 27-Apr-13 08:45:56

Emotional wreck right now reliving all of these moments. DP asking me what's wrong - there's definitely something in both eyes...

GenghisCanDoHisOwnWashing Sat 27-Apr-13 08:59:08

Reading back on what others have written I have to agree also Sirius's death was also such a cruel blow.

<repeats: it is NOT real>

<I don't want to be a muggle>

MMollyMum2 Sat 27-Apr-13 12:14:59

Fred Weasley's death. Imagine living without your twin. (Have twins and they can't be seperated.) They are so close all through the books too. Also, I have cats called Fred and george and Fred got hit by a car. Got so worried that the book was an omen. sad

MMollyMum2 Sat 27-Apr-13 12:15:15

Fred survived by the way (the cat)

In this house, it's when Hedwig dies. I am reading the HP series to DS for the second time and the bird bought it two nights ago.

The boy who never flinched when Dumbledore died, cried his heart out again, thinking about poor Hedwig.

tribpot Sat 27-Apr-13 12:54:05

As with HootShoot. I think Lily Potter looking at Harry and saying "you've been so brave" is just heartrending. And the revelation about Sirius - weep! Fred's death doesn't really have a chance to sink in in the mêlée - a funeral scene would have finished me off completely. Tonks and Lupin just seemed a bit unnecessary - why on earth did they both have to come to Hogwarts?

The utter heartbreak of Dumbledore's funeral was that Harry was left alone again, no parental figure.

Laura, my ds doesn't know Hedwig dies (unless it's referenced in the Lego Wii game but I don't think it is, Dobby dies in that but then puts his legs back on and carries on as a player!). He will be very upset.

GibberTheMonkey Sat 27-Apr-13 13:20:37

Amazingbouncingferret

I love that moment too. In fact I think she's probably my favourite character

TheYamiOfYawn Sat 27-Apr-13 14:01:31

Snape, definitely.

tribpot Sat 27-Apr-13 14:07:49

Revelation about Snape I meant, not Sirius. I never really understood what Sirius was for in the plot, other than to lure Harry to the Ministry of Magic.

HumphreyCobbler Sat 27-Apr-13 14:13:33

I can't bear it when they go through the memory of Lily and James dying to protect Harry. is

Also when Harry is walking towards Voldemort and certain death and he asks if it will hurt.

I agree that the books went downhill after the Goblet of Fire. That is my favourite book.

chickensaladagain Sat 27-Apr-13 14:21:36

Dd says why has no one mentioned

When bellatrix dies
Lucius and Draco run away
Or
Bartie crouch jr was discovered

Personally I have no idea what any of you are talking about

Yy to Snape and always.

Can't wait to be able to read HP to DD (4)

ThistleDown Sat 27-Apr-13 14:35:54

"Always" and when Harry asks his parents, Sirius and Lupin if they will stay with him and his Dad says "until the end". Makes me howl every time sad

Still18atheart Sat 27-Apr-13 14:42:38

Dumbledore or Sirius dying. Also the epilogue in the final book

SanityClause Sat 27-Apr-13 22:58:17

At DD1's school, HP books are the most used for "readings" in assembly. More than for example, the Koran or the Bible!

Pretty much all of the final book - I read it in one overnight sitting and sobbed most of the way, from the moment of Hedwig's death. Colin Creavy - I think the line is something like, 'He was tiny in death' and Remus and Tonks.

In the film, Alan Rickman crying over Lily's body has me in pieces.

FlightyAphrodite Sat 27-Apr-13 23:16:24

Sirius. It's just so UNFAIR, for want of a better word. He has an immediate bond with Harry, as well as the link with Lily and James. Harry could have got what he wanted, moved away from the Dursleys, and then it was all taken away...

NOT REAL!!!

Also Snape's revelations. "Always"... sobbing

I remember, from the time "Half Blood Prince" came out, when we were all waiting for "Deathly Hallows", someone on another forum had one of those sig picture thingies and it was Alan Rickman as Snape, with "We Believe" underneath, and she said all along he would turn out to be good. It sounds weird, but the faith of a stranger sort of made it even more poignant when it actually happened.
<snivels a bit again>

LadyIsabellaWrotham Sat 27-Apr-13 23:37:55

I would have said Snape's big deathbed flashback, but actually a PP has reminded me of Neville visiting his parents, which is just awful.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Sat 27-Apr-13 23:41:36

For the Snape fans, I commend to your attention the recent blog Severus Snape Does Not Deserve Your Pity, which I found interesting.

FourLittleDudes Sat 27-Apr-13 23:42:44

Cedric's father discovering his son was dead.

HumphreyCobbler Sun 28-Apr-13 21:54:40

LadyIsabellaWrotham, thanks for that link. It was most interesting and helped me realise why I always thought the rehabilitation of Snape was not really that plausible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now