Chris d'Lacey Fire Star age appropriateness*:

(5 Posts)
MrsSteptoe Fri 05-Apr-13 12:52:47

Funny how that happens with books... Yup, DS went through a Percy Jackson phase. Sparked quite an interest in the Gods as well. one problem with DS is that he reads one type of book intently and repeatedly, and then his creative writing mirrors it because he absorbs the vernacular... now, if I could get him to read Henry James, I'd have a genius. grin

Actually your thread reminded me to look at one I had 'watched' a few weeks ago and I have just ordered a load of Percy Jackson books from amazon, plus something called 'The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place' which looks suitably scary and exciting! plus a couple of others may have accidentally fallen into my basket for me
grin

MrsSteptoe Wed 03-Apr-13 21:52:16

Thanks, Checkpoint Charlie, appreciate the input! x

What about The Hunger Games, it is brilliant. My dd in yr5 loved them, and the Chris Delacy books. She read them maybe a couple of years ago but I still think they are good. I have just bought her friend a book in a series called 'Eragon' and the series looks good, dragons again I think.

Have you heard of Holes by Louis Sachar? That is a fantastic book for boys (and 36 year olds too!)
Seriously though, The Hunger Games is amazing.

MrsSteptoe Wed 03-Apr-13 09:56:41

Anyone got a steer on age appropriateness/level of difficulty for the Chris d'Lacey books "Fire Star" and others in same series? I find it quite hard to judge from reading a few pages myself.

They've been given to my Y5 DS and I'm trying to encourage him (with little success so far) to read slightly more challenging stuff than How to Train Your Dragon etc. Cowell books (entering him for London independents, trying to encourage slightly more sophisticated reading habits so that it informs his creative writing and his general cmoprehension etc). Even if it's still a bit easy but a step up from Horrendous Horrible Hiccup Haddock or whatever he's called, then it's a step in the right direction.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now