Mrs Frisby and the Rats Of Nimh

(24 Posts)

Anyone else love this? I actually have very distant memories of being read at least a chunk of it as a child, and DS has brought it home from school and we are thoroughly enjoying it. Given some of the awful crap they have assigned him, it's a real treat...

Bearandcub Wed 13-Mar-13 05:52:43

I loved this book as a child. I received it as a present but can't remember how old I was. I remember not wanting it to end as I was reading the last pages.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. grin

Whitewineformeplease Wed 13-Mar-13 06:20:46

I loved this book! I remember it well, also remember I used to have a bit of a crush on one of the rats! The main one, who rescues Mrs Frisby at some point. blushSuch a lovely story. The movie is quite good too, but different from the book.

louisianablue2000 Tue 19-Mar-13 19:32:18

Iloved it as well. My copy is sitting waiting for the kids to be old enough to appreciate it.

SarahLundKicksAss Tue 19-Mar-13 19:34:28

Lovely book - I remember it being on Jackanory (showing my age emoticon!)

wakesandquakes Wed 20-Mar-13 22:31:31

How old do you think DD would need to be to appreciate it? She's almost 8. We do read some together, but often I start reading them to her and then she reads the rest without me. Sometimes a bit annoying as then I don't get to read all the book (have been known to pinch it late at night to find out what I've missed!).

Best book ever!

Startail Wed 20-Mar-13 22:43:38

My absolute favourite children's book.

Couldn't get my Jackie Wilson loving DD2 to read it.

Sadly DD1 didn't learn to read until she was 11 and dived into HP and Twilight.

It's on her ipod, I must get her to read it, I suspect even at 15 she'll appreciate it.

DD2 won't see past childish mice, philistine that she is.

Startail Wed 20-Mar-13 22:45:09

Justin rat, nothing wrong with having a crush on him.

SorrelForbes Wed 20-Mar-13 22:45:14

He wrote another book called The Silver Crown which was a huge favourite of mine as a child.

nancy75 Wed 20-Mar-13 22:47:42

I loved this book too, I had forgotten all about it. Was there a second book too?

He also wrote Z for Zachariah, althought that's "end of the World" stuff and probably best aimed at somewhat older readers than NIMH.

Ooh, I might have a rummage around for his other work in that case - for myself. I am already enjoying the fact that NIMH is quite subtle in dealing with assorted ethical dilemmas and philosophies without bashing the child reader over the head.

FCEK Thu 21-Mar-13 22:29:02

I absolutely loved this book. we read it at high school, about 11/12 years.

There's a sequel to NIMH if I remember aright, although I think it was written by someone else.
R O'B died and his wife and daughter finished off Z for Zachariah as he was almost done with it and left copious notes, but I have a feeling the NIMH follow up was someone elses work.

MartyrStewart Fri 22-Mar-13 00:11:34

I LOVED this book. I seem to remember a sequel where two children were lost in the woods and hooked up with NIMH? They had to lie about how they survived.

SingingSands Fri 22-Mar-13 00:12:42

I read it at high school, aged 11. Loved it! Might download to my kindle if it's available.

Frawli Sun 31-Mar-13 19:39:37

I am working from memory here, have a feeling the sequel was Racso and the rats of Nimh. Will look now...

Here it is:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Racso-Rats-NIMH-Puffin-Books/dp/0140323333/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364755151&sr=8-1

Frawli Sun 31-Mar-13 19:40:02
juneybean Sun 31-Mar-13 19:40:53

I read it in school and haven't seen it since. May have to buy it to give it a read again!

HumphreyCobbler Sun 31-Mar-13 19:47:10

If the NIMH follow up was by someone else that explains why it was rather odd.

I LOVED Mrs Frisby. Fabulous book.

weblette Sun 31-Mar-13 19:48:52

Brilliant book, bought it for the older dcs via Kindle

I read it in school, - year 6 I think? Definitely primary. I loved it too. So frustrating how slowly they got through it in school...

bran Sun 31-Mar-13 20:10:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now