books for 9/10 yrs please?

(13 Posts)
floppydisc Tue 12-Feb-13 06:52:50

Can anyone recommend good books for nine/ten year old girls please? Thanks.

SmileAndPeopleSmileWithYou Tue 12-Feb-13 08:22:14

What sort of reading ability is she?

The Rainbow fairy books are very popular with girls in my y4 class, these would be slightly easier and there are a lot of them.
Most of the girls also find Horrid Henry very funny, again might be too easy depending on ability.

Some of the higher readers are going through the Harry Potter books. Books by Eva Ibbotson are very good; Journey to the River Sea, The Star of Kazan, The Dragonfly Pool.

If you want more ideas you could try the Scholastic website. They supply book fairs to schools and have grouped books into age categories to help parents.

http://shop.scholastic.co.uk/search/search?age_type=year_groups&breadcrumb%5B%5D=age_id&now=taxonomy_id&search%5Bage_id%5D=17&search%5Btaxonomy_id%5D%5B%5D=957

Try this search list, it is for Y6.

DeWe Tue 12-Feb-13 09:17:59

My 9yo (year 4) is reading "The Machine Gunners" at present. She's just finished the Greene Knowe series (or those we had at home), and loves Jaqueline Wilson and Chalet School.
She's read those Eva Ibbotson books but prefered one of hers about a Russian Countess in exile. The Secret Countess, I think it was called.
She also reads Arthur Ransome, and various other "old style" books.

LittleFriendSusan Tue 12-Feb-13 09:22:40

DD is 10 and has enjoyed all of the Harry Potter books; Jacqueline Wilson (I can't stand them, but hey ho); the Enid Blyton school stories (Malory Towers, St Clare's, The Naughtiest Girl in the School); Eva Ibbatson; Rumer Godden (Little Plum; the Diddakoi, etc); Karen McCombie (again, I don't like her style of books but DD loves them); Ballet Shoes; The Children of Green Knowe; Roald Dahl; David Walliams; Jeremy Strong; the Madame Pamplemousse series...

She's a real bookworm but these are the ones she's returned to over and over.

Takver Tue 12-Feb-13 09:55:51

DD is 10 (but yr 6 so going on 11), she loves adventure stories which seem very popular with her age group - so Artemis Fowl, Percy Jackson + the other books by Rick Riordan, Rangers Apprentice, Skullduggery Pleasant and of course the dreaded Hunger Games.

TheMoreItSnows Tue 12-Feb-13 10:51:20

A vote here for Operation Bunny - Sally Gardner here proving v popular in our house.

ElenaKnight Tue 12-Feb-13 13:41:54

Jacqueline Wilson- but be careful, as some of her books at aimed at older audiences (teens) and aren't suitable for younger girls.

Lafaminute Tue 12-Feb-13 13:52:42

Michael Morpurgo are good - some a bit more difficult but good stories, David Walliams, Jacqueline Wilson, Lemony Snickett, What Katy did, etc,

dabdab Tue 12-Feb-13 14:02:51

Molly Moon by Georgia Byng is a very good story. Don't forget things like Just William (we read these as bedtime story as some of the language is a bit old fashioned), National Velvet, Secret Garden, A Little Princess.

Takver Tue 12-Feb-13 16:23:53

Molly Moon were very popular here, too. Also reminds me (not sure why) of the Wolves of Willougby Chase series which dd liked a lot

EmpressOfThePuddle Tue 12-Feb-13 19:18:06

judy Moody (can't remember author), Lauren Child's Clarice Bean and Ruby Redfort, Cressida Cowell's How To Train Your Dragon series (nothing like the film), Dick King-Smith's Sophie books and another vote for Jeremy Strong. Especiallly the Nicholas books. My Dad's Got An Alligator is pure comedy heaven.
Oh and Alexander McCall Smith's children'ss books.

harryhausen Tue 12-Feb-13 19:23:37

One Dog and His Boy - by Eva Ibbotson. Fantastic. DD is always updating me with what's happening!

cazzybabs Wed 13-Feb-13 08:53:24

My 8 year old has loved the hobbit, harry potter and the Philosopher's Stone and right now is reading Journey to the River Sea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now