Malory Towers...what age group? And other recomendations please!

(18 Posts)
Alonglongway Tue 19-Feb-13 00:34:18

Jeremy Strong for some great comedy. And what about Horrid Henry?

TheCatInTheHairnet Tue 19-Feb-13 00:24:23

I agree with Pombear. So much so, that I've just ordered the books from Amazon uk for my dd!

Judy Bloom is also a fabulous author, although I am still hesitant to give DD (who is coming up to 10) "Are you there God, it's me, Margaret?" just because I remember how that book made me feel!!

montmartre Tue 19-Feb-13 00:09:53

My 7yo is enjoying the Secret Seven and The Magic Faraway Tree atm, and Paddington too.
Sh has loved Pippi (favourite I think), Worst Witch, Mr Majeika, Naughtiest Girl in the School, Olga da Polga, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, all the Roald Dahl (have kept The Witches back as she's a bit sensitive, and would likely be scared).

EduCated Bosnia-Herzegovina Tue 19-Feb-13 00:03:28

I loved Naughtiest Girl in the School. I always secretly wanted to be Elizabeth!

At that age I was hugely into the Sophie series by Dick King-Smith (Sophie's Snail, Sophie's Tom, Sophie is Six, Sophie Hits Seven and Sophie's Lucky, I think!)

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 18-Feb-13 23:25:43

An alternative to Mallory Towers is the Naughtiest Girl in the School. About a co=ed school which runs democratically by the school itself.
The Naughtiest Girl turns it around and becomes a prefect in the end IIRC.
I liked those.

The thing with Blyton and "the youth of today" grin is that they can read them as complete fiction. In the same way that say, Harry Potter has the magic and everything in it, so is "made up" iyswim, then the settings for EB's books are the same now.
It's a long gone time and place, and is so far from what modern children recognise as "real life" that they just think of it as made up, and not as ever having been real at all.
Rather than being racist/classist/unfeminist as we, as adults, see them, to a child they are just stories, all made up, and can be enjoyed as such without the need for angst...

Tincletoes Wed 13-Feb-13 20:31:35

My naughty little sister stories are great - my DS (5, also loves Roald Dahl) has really enjoyed them. We are still at the reading to him stage, but if say if your dd can manage Roald she'd manage my naughty little sister!

Jezabelle Sun 10-Feb-13 23:09:29

I am starting to think that I might not buy/encourage the whole MT thing. There's so much else out there that's less dated and I'm looking forward to trying out the recommendations and finding a few more of my own to
offer her.

If she hears about Malory Towers or other Enid Blyton from peers then I'll get the books for her.

I will definitely try the Jacqueline Wilson novels which you mentioned Duchess. I have read a couple of her novels but wasn't aware that there were any age appropriate ones.

She tried Pippi Longstocking almost a year ago now and, although she loved it initially, it was a bit beyond her. I might give it another go now.

Thanks to you all for all the advice.

DuchessofMalfi Sun 10-Feb-13 18:07:26

DD's nearly 7 and we're reading the Magic Faraway Tree books as bedtime stories. She's enjoying them - we've just started the second book in the trilogy.

She's also starting to enjoy Jacqueline Wilson's novels. We've read Four Children and It together and I think that one would be ok for your DD to read. No complex issues or inappropriate story lines. The only thing I needed to explain was step-siblings.

We've also lined up a few more to read later this year. She's keen to read the Hetty Feather trilogy.

I remember really enjoying the Malory Towers stories when I was a child.

How about Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren? We loved the quirkiness of Pippi's life.

stradbally Fri 08-Feb-13 22:33:28

Oh please, not Enid Blyton! Even when I was at school in the '70s we were discouraged from Malory Towers etc because there's so much gender/class/race stereotyping in them. I did read some, and even at that age I agreed - "I say Postie, are there any letters for me? I'm sorry Miss, not today....." or " Goodness, you talk such nonsense, you could be Irish..." etc etc. Cringe! There's loads of brilliant modern children's writing available, it's fun spending hours in bookshops and libraries checking it all out. I'd get yourself down there and have a good browse.

Jezabelle Fri 08-Feb-13 22:09:08

Brilliant, thanks. Will get try her out on MT like you suggested Melfish. I thought Michael Morpurgo was for older children bokksteensandmags, but will try The Butterfly Lion. Any other Michael Morpurgo titles which are suitable for a younger reader?

Will look into the others you have suggested. I love her reading the Roald Dahl, not too keen on the talking animal books. Although I'm just happy that she reads, I figure that if she is just as happy to read "good literature", I'd prefer her to be provided with lots of that!

dd is reading them at age 9. She could try the magic faraway tree books- ds is 6 and enjoyed me reading them to him.

bigbadbarry Fri 08-Feb-13 22:06:26

I think she's a good age for Malory Towers and if she likes them there are the ST Claire's set as well.

DD (8) has read some Malory Towers, but she wasn't that impressed with the characters. She quite liked the Magic Molly books.

I would recommend most stuff by Linda Chapman for this age:
Unicorn School series, Skating School series.
Then Sky Horses series, My Secret Unicorn series and Sky Horses series when she's a year or so older.
Also Sophie & the Shadow Woods, which has a great, kick-ass lead character!

DD also enjoyed Nim's Island, Pippi Lingstocking, the Worst Witch series and Charlotte's Web.

She is now reading 'Lily' and 'Rose' books by Holly Webb.

Floralnomad Fri 08-Feb-13 22:03:14

I think the problem with most Enid Blyton is that it is really dated . When mine were that age ( which is a while ago) they liked the Mr Majeika books .

booksteensandmagazines Fri 08-Feb-13 21:59:08

In the school I work at, Mallory Towers is very popular with year 3 girls. Its girls only so not anti-girl like the famous five were but it does stereo type by character a bit - but the truth is they are enjoyable books.
Michael Morpurgo does some good books for this age range - The Butterfly Lion, then Jill Tomlinson books about animals are good, The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy is also fun

Melfish Fri 08-Feb-13 21:57:31

I read MT when I was about 7 i think. I then read quite a few of the Enid Blytons and enjoyed them, didn' t really think about the stereotyping when I read them but I enjoyed the stories themselves. From what I remember they are quite easy reads in that you can get into them and read them fairly quickly.

Perhaps let her try reading one and see how she goes? If she feels they're not for her yet she may want to try again in a year or so.

Jezabelle Fri 08-Feb-13 21:47:16

My 6yo DD, (7 in April) reads in bed each night. In January she read The Twits, Georges Marvellous Medicine and two chapter books featuring a girl called Molly who talks to the animals and is now enjoying The Magic Finger. I am thrilled with her enthusiasm for and ability to read, not least because I am dyslexic and never had the joy in reading that she clearly has.

Due to my being a bit pants at reading as a child (and now really!) I read very little. A few of my friends read the Malory Towers series as children, but I did not. Do you think she is a bit young for this? Plus, I did read a few famous five books as a child and remember the stereotyping of girls to be poor. Is Malory Towers the same? With so much great literature out there I would prefer to get her books with positive role models in them.

I will be getting the rest of the Roald Dahl collection, but wondered if you lot could give me any advice on MT or other recommendations?!

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now