Diary of a wimpy kid. What next?

(12 Posts)
eightytwenty Sat 26-Jan-13 10:18:04

Ds1 (8) has just devoured the latest doawk. Anyone have any recommendations for what else he might enjoy?

chocoluvva Sat 26-Jan-13 14:08:48

Lemony Snickett - A Series of Unfortunate Misadventures

Roald Dahl

David Walliams - Mr Stink

eightytwenty Sat 26-Jan-13 17:44:12

Good suggestions. Thank you. He has read most of David walliams and some roald dahl - but can top up there. We've read the first lemony snicker to him but think the text / language is possibly still a bit hard.

Anyone/ anything else?

RupertTheBear Sat 26-Jan-13 17:45:52

There are some other diary type ones - my dd likes dork diaries, but these are maybe more aimed at girls? I was going to get her the Tom Gates ones next.

lljkk Sun 27-Jan-13 13:31:48

Tom Gates, Big Nate: also diary format and funny. Calvin and Hobbes. For a girl over 10 I would say The Dork Diaries, they are rather girlie, though, with lots of BOY worries.

Jeremy Strong. Cliffhanger & sequel (the most boy books by Jacqueline Wilson, and age-appropriate).

DS is only 8yo & I think not quite ready for The Donut Diaries, but in a year or 2 yes. No girls in The Donut Diaries, but lots of bodily absurd humour and hints of preteen angst. They are the only ones of all these series mentioned that actually makes me laugh at loud (sometimes).

Coconutty Sun 27-Jan-13 13:33:09

Captain underpants?

lljkk Sun 27-Jan-13 13:35:34

Even though I am American my kids just don't get the American cultural references in Captain Underpants. Maybe it works if your kids have seen lots of US TV.

DS2 also reads The Beano from cover to cover each week. I wish there was a comic on the market targetting maturity levels between The Beano & The Phoenix.

eightytwenty Sun 27-Jan-13 18:36:02

Brilliant everyone. Trip to waterstones planned! Keep them coming!

booksteensandmagazines Mon 28-Jan-13 14:34:07

Eoin Colfer - his 'Legend Of.....' series - funny, great writing, not too long

eightytwenty Mon 28-Jan-13 21:31:49

Thanks a lot. Haven't heard of all of these bit now have a long list stored on my phone.

He's just started ratburger so that will keep him happy for a while.

IndridCold Tue 29-Jan-13 15:19:26

Cressida Cowell's How to Train Your Dragon series; very funny, DS loved them! Also, Andy Stanton's Mr Gum books.

eightytwenty Tue 29-Jan-13 15:45:37

Fab. Have one of each.

Also ds has read one of Alexander mcall smiths books set in Africa - akimbo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now