Books recommendations for an 11 year old please?

(12 Posts)

DD1 loves reading, she's reading several years ahead of her ago so can cope with most vocabulary, and has read her way through most popular series and classics. She's not hugely keen on fantasy but likes historical fiction and adventure.
What she needs is a good, thick series of books to keep her engrossed for a bit.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Woodifer Thu 24-Jan-13 10:59:55

Sunan Copper - Over Sea Understone Series (ooh that's a bit fantasy)

Treasure Island and the Black Arrow (Robert Louis Stephenson)

The wolves of willoughby chase

Midnight is a place

Ballet Shoes/ Thursdays Child

Little house on the prairie books

The Sally Lockhart books by Phillip Pullman

nancy drew (too datad?)

hardy boys (too dated?)

carries War

i am david

booksteensandmagazines Thu 24-Jan-13 11:04:10

Has she tried:
- Michelle Paver - her new series is Gods and Warriors (http://www.booksteensandmagazines.com/view/gods-and-warriors) and is set in Ancient Greece.
- Moira Young - Dustland Series. However the style of writing is unusual and it seems to have a 'marmite' effect on readers (http://www.booksteensandmagazines.com/view/blood-red-road)
- Malorie Balckman Noughts and Crosses series - they are really good (http://www.booksteensandmagazines.com/view/noughts-and-crosses)

There are quite a few more under the adventure genre on my review website - www.booksteensandmagazines.com/browse/go-on-an-adventure

SanityClause Thu 24-Jan-13 11:08:39

My 11yo DD loves anything by Ali Sparks.

My 13yo DD loved (and still does) the Mortal Engines series by Philip Reeves, at that age.

weegiemum Thu 24-Jan-13 11:15:01

Anything by Joan Aitken

Ursula Le Guin? (tends to be fantasty but some not).

Kind of out of date these days, but Willard Price?

Isabel Allende has written a fab trilogy for teens, which starts with "City of the Beasts"

Leeds2 Thu 24-Jan-13 11:25:58

At least one of the Willard Price books has been updated. I won Leopard Adventure in a recent competition! I didn't read it though, so don't know what the changes are like.

Anne of Green Gables. Little Women. What Katy Did.

IndridCold Thu 24-Jan-13 17:41:00

Another vote for Michelle Paver

Rosemary Sutcliffe

KM Peyton Flambards books

goingtobefree Sat 26-Jan-13 17:28:09

Diana Wynne Jones - Howls moving castle , power of three, the ogre downstairs in fact anything by her

Madeline L'Engle - A wrinkle in time.
The hitchhikers guide to galaxy

Lots of good ideas here. She's read some of the older ones mentioned, but will investigate others.

pickledsiblings Sat 26-Jan-13 18:56:10

Philip Pullman, Northern Lights trilogy.

Takver Sat 26-Jan-13 20:21:58

She might like the Temeraire series - set in the Napoleonic wars. It is fantasy (it also includes dragons) but has a very realistic feel, if that makes sense.

Also, has she tried Georgette Heyer, Daphne du Maurier etc?

Jean Plaidy
Elizabeth Goudge
Laurie Lee
Gerald Durrell

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now