David Williams books - suitable for a five year old?

(7 Posts)
SingSung Thu 22-Nov-12 17:20:13

Hi,
Ds1 is five but reads without any issues. Eg reads Ronald Dahl etc without needing prompts. Are the David walliams books suitable - content wise?
Also, I have a dd1 who is four. What are the girliest books that people like at the moment?
Apologies for the questions - we're not in the uk, so I rely on amazon!
Many thanks!

SingSung Thu 22-Nov-12 17:25:30

Eugh, spell check! Obviously I mean Roald Dahl!

VestaCurry Fri 23-Nov-12 01:02:24

Hi I think they may be too old in terms of content. My 9 year old is loving them, but I do have to carefully explain eg references to magazines on the top shelf in newsagents. I think it's fine doing that with him, he's just the right age to appreciate it, at 5, a lot of the interesting stuff in the books would have gone over his head and so be wasted.

SingSung Sat 24-Nov-12 02:42:09

Hi, that's just what I needed to know - thank you!

Melmagpie Sun 25-Nov-12 20:58:41

Hi, just posted about reading chapter books to my dd also 5. I'd assumed Roald Dahl would be a bit dark for her but did you find it completely fine for your ds? (wow that he can read them himself!)

Hulababy Sun 25-Nov-12 21:00:59

Content wise - too old I would say.

Re Roald Dahl melmagpie- many of them are fine to read to/for 5 year olds. Start with the shorter ones and see how it goes.

3bunnies Sun 25-Nov-12 21:05:41

The rainbow fairy books are probably the girliest, not sure any parent actually likes them though. Very formulaic, but got dd1 reading.

I would agree that Walliams is a bit more grown up, dd1 loved them all, she started on them at 7.5, but there were a few issues which I had to explain, such as what an affair was etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now