Horse/pony fiction

(16 Posts)
iseenodust Thu 15-Nov-12 14:03:15

Looking for present for 10 yr old. Seen Jane Smiley books on Amazon. Anyone recommend?

DeWe Thu 15-Nov-12 18:48:39

Wish for a Pony by Monica Edwards is a good place to start. Not sure if it's still in print, but ebay usually has a few.

RudolphUcker Thu 15-Nov-12 18:53:18

You need to go Old (riding) School grin. Ruby Ferguson, Pullein-Thompsons, Monica Edwards.
The Saddle Club sets are good for that age too.

tuckingfits Thu 15-Nov-12 18:56:08

Patricia Leitch - shantih & jinny stories were my absolute favourites! There are loads too to keep her going for months/years!

Campaspe Thu 15-Nov-12 19:14:07

Never mind the children; I loved lots of these books! I read loads by the Pullein-Thompson sisters, though I imagine that references to hunts, stirrup cups etc make them very old-fashioned. I'm surprised they're even still in print, though I did absolutely love them. I was also obsessed with the Shantih stories and I felt I really identified with Jinny. Do you remember that she had a horrible sister called Petra and a hippy called Ken living wiht them?

RudolphUcker Thu 15-Nov-12 19:19:51

The hippy was dodgy as <nods>. I was very jealous of Jinny as she got to ride the highland ponies to school.
I still have my books, they were always outdated and I loved them anyway smile

Tilly's Pony Tales

Katie's Exmoor Pony

Jinny and Shantih

My Friend Flicka

Misty of Chincoteague

Alllll the old school stuff - Ruby Ferguson, the Pullein-Thompsons, Monica Edwards (Follyfoot esp. popular here)

I have a 9yo pony lover grin and we get a lot from Jane Badger's website.

Unless Jane Smiley has started writing children's books, I'd save her for later. Agree with the above, and add the Silver Brumby series, and Black Beauty of course.

RudolphUcker Fri 16-Nov-12 13:15:39

Just noticed that, grin Yes, I can't recall too many horses in her novels.

iseenodust Fri 16-Nov-12 15:03:39

Brilliant thanks. I fondly remember Silver Brumby now.

Jane Smiley has a recent series of kids' horse books if you need some new ones.

Campaspe Fri 16-Nov-12 19:19:19

Yes, the Silver Brumby books were ace. And really well written from what I remember. I think I read them as a child without ever realising that they were set in Australia, as I don't think I thought it could snow over there.

thewhistler Fri 16-Nov-12 21:32:56

Agree all above, and recently reread My friend Flicka. It was surprisingly good. And green grass of Wyoming.

Ponies plot by c northcote parkinson.

toomuch2young Fri 16-Nov-12 21:42:52

Holywell stables series Samantha alexander
The saddle club series
Riding school series by Samantha Alexander
Ahh what are the old ones called where they all went to gymkhanas??

Luce808 Fri 16-Nov-12 22:49:28

Follyfoot! Jill has Two Ponies! Flambards! You can't beat the oldies.

tuckingfits Sat 17-Nov-12 01:35:25

forget the highland ponies,I always fancied myself as having an Arabian! I was such a huge fan Patricia Leitch came to my house & signed all my books (of hers) & brought me the newest one. Lovely lady!!

iseenodust Mon 19-Nov-12 09:52:25

Thanks everyone. This is fab. A lot of the little girls I buy for may be getting pony books this year. grin <I wouldn't flick much before I wrapped.>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now