Normal Kindle or Kindle Fire? And and recommendation for e-books for an 11 year old?

(11 Posts)
bamboozled Sat 17-Nov-12 18:40:04

The hunger games series, Malory Blackman - antidote, pig heart boy, etc,
Just make sure your accounts are sorted so yor 50 shades doesn't end up on her kindle...

bigbadbarry Sat 17-Nov-12 18:32:48

charlesvald they have recently introduced parental controls so that is no longer an issue. I'd go for the proper kindle kindle not the fire, too.

MadameCreeper Sat 17-Nov-12 18:30:52

I'd go for the basic one if its for reading. With the e ink you can read them out in bright sun.

BooksandaCuppa Fri 09-Nov-12 20:43:11

Just remember the original has e-ink, the Fire is not an ereader at all, just a cheap tablet, so it's much worse for your eyesight. Would recommend that a proper ereader is much more preferable for a decent amount of reading.

freddiefrog Wed 07-Nov-12 21:50:34

Thanks.

I'm leaning towards the Kindle Fire as it can do more - FB/apps for when she's older so it'll last longer/save on tablets in the future

I don't have a Kindle so anything downloaded will just be for her.

Thank you!

charlesvald Wed 07-Nov-12 21:24:49

I suppose I was being a bit prudish, my kids are only 5 and 8, so I haven't had to deal with it yet smile and as you said that way you can share.

roisin Wed 07-Nov-12 20:56:35

The kindle paperwhite and Kindle Fire are selling like hotcakes. Order NOW if you want them for Christmas.

roisin Wed 07-Nov-12 20:55:53

I would recommend link it to your own account, then you can share books and only pay for them once.

I don't really agree with censoring reading past the age of about 11 anyway.

We have 4 kindles all linked to one account, it works very well.

charlesvald Wed 07-Nov-12 20:20:22

Are you going to create a new amazon account or share your own?

The problem being if there are books of a more adult nature on your own kindle it will download onto her own kindle which you might not want, so I would suggest setting up another amazon account.

madamehooch Mon 05-Nov-12 12:16:54

If all she wants to do is read books on it then go with the basic Kindle.

If she wants to play games, download apps etc, as well then the Kindle Fire is tres cool.

Let her have a good search on the kindle kids book site of Amazon - she'll find loads of stuff she'd probably want to read and the beauty of the Kindle is that you can download a free sample to see if you like it.

freddiefrog Mon 05-Nov-12 09:40:56

As per title really.

DD1, 11 has been asking for a Kindle for a while and she's an avid reader so we thought we'd get her one for Christmas but I'm unsure whether to get the basic Kindle, or go for the Kindle Fire

Also, can you recommend me any e-books? Not into ballet or horse riding type books - likes Wolf Blood, Merlin type stuff.

I find it quite hard with her, she's got quite a high reading age and she's at that middling age where everything is either 'babyish' or too old for her.

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now