Famous 5 or Secret 7 for DS, aged 6?

(8 Posts)
DeWe Fri 02-Nov-12 13:55:11

Secret Seven has dated more (look at the names-Colin, Janet, Pam, Barbara etc.) and imo isn't that much easier to read than the Famous Five. Because there are more in the SS they are harder to keep track of and the characters aren't very distinct.

My dc all read FF round age 5-6yo, and then read SS after, when they were asking for more FF, but didn't enjoy them as much.

Five find outers and the adventure series are harder, Find outers in particular are that little bit more subtle in the stories and they enjoy them more when they're older.

Secret series (Secret Island), are another good one to begin with. I think that was the first Enid Blyton Dd1 read to herself.

DuchessofMalfi Wed 31-Oct-12 19:49:34

I'm reading The Famous Five books to DD (6) at bedtime. She's enjoying them. I'm thinking about getting the Secret Seven books for her for Christmas (there's a box set of them on offer at The Book People at the moment).

I remember reading The Famous Five when I was little, but don't remember The Secret Seven at all. DH says he read them as a child but didn't think they were as good as The Famous Five though.

TheDeathAndGories Wed 31-Oct-12 12:50:43

Why not try the five finder outers

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Wed 31-Oct-12 11:04:04

confused It is the contrary no? (at least for the french translations) famous 5 have a bigger font than secret 7.

DD1 (7) started with the famous 5 (after 6 months of being taught to read) and really likes them she is waiting for more from FC.

ornellaia Wed 31-Oct-12 11:03:50

My DS (almost 6) loves Famous Five, he's never read Secret Seven though so maybe he'd like that too.

Leeds2 Wed 31-Oct-12 11:00:05

Secret Seven was, I think, aimed at younger children which they were meant to read before progressing to Famous Five. I don't think Secret Seven books are terribly popular these days though.

Takver Wed 31-Oct-12 10:52:19

Secret 7 first, I'd say - its easier to read and a bit 'younger' in tone and content.

(However IMVHO the children in it ought to be taught better manners and their attitude to their younger siblings verges on bullying grin so from that point of view I'd choose the Famous 5 )

absolutelyflawed Wed 31-Oct-12 10:10:48

Which seems to be more popular, thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now