Sophie's world - age range

(5 Posts)
madamehooch Wed 31-Oct-12 08:35:55

I personally think Sophie's World would be a real slog for an 8 year old.

No, those are the only two I've read and I also remember thinking that the Solitaire Mystery wasn't as good.

I may have to hunt out Sophie's World now and reread it. smile

3bunnies Tue 30-Oct-12 13:10:39

Thanks, it is a long, long time since I read it, and I wasn't 8, but it says on the blurb it is aimed at teenagers. I remember the story line being engaging. Will see if it is in the loft. Have the solitaire mystery too but I didn't think it was as good at the time. Any experiences of his other books?

I remember reading it at about 8 years old. I didn't understand all of it at the time buty parents were happy to discuss bits with me, and the older I got the more of it I understood.

I can't remember being scared by the storyline but it's been a good few years since I've read it. Have you tried googling? Wikipedia or another site may have a plot summary.

3bunnies Tue 30-Oct-12 12:36:40

Dd1 is v philosophical, she has been asking about death in a philosophical way since she was 3; loves discussing moral dilemas, understanding the world etc. E.g. Why did Socrates drink hemlock willingly? From what I can remember of Sophie's World I think she would get lots of the philosophy, as it was quite accessible, what I can't remember is the accompanying story line and how scary it was. I seem to remember some element of suspense, but I could be wrong. She is nearly 8, handles Narnia fine, think she would be ok with early Harry Potter (and keeps bugging us to let her read it), but not the later ones. Anyone read it recently?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now