Can we have a 'Does Anyone Recognise this Book' thread?

(146 Posts)
deleted203 Mon 22-Oct-12 18:46:28

I know lots of us have vague memories (particularly me, as I get older) of much loved children's books we can't remember the title of. Thought we could post and see if anyone else can help.

I am desperate to know the name of a book I read in probably late 70s aged about 11-ish, that I only remember faintly.

There was a girl who went to stay with her aunt/godmother who was a witch and so were the rest of the village women, I think. I can't remember much about it except that her aunt upset the others (who I think were bad witches) and they were more or less trapped in their house being beseiged by the bad witches. There might have been ravens/crows involved. It would have been set in England.

Ring any bells anyone?

cutegorilla Tue 23-Oct-12 20:32:40

SummerRain I think your book is The Chrysalids by John Wyndham.

steppemum Tue 23-Oct-12 23:54:08

anyone know a book about a girl called cassandra? It was read out loud ot us at school and I remember she lived in a castle? and had a bath in a tin bath in front of the fire

wanted to call my daughter cassandra for years

MooncupGoddess Tue 23-Oct-12 23:57:39

Steppemum - that is I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. Lovely book.

steppemum Wed 24-Oct-12 00:10:02

That sounds right!

will order it from library

madamehooch Wed 24-Oct-12 08:43:30

Have posted this a few times but going to give it one last bash!

I'm looking for a teen book from the eighties. I'm pretty sure the girl was called Julie. She fancied an older boy called Steve but I think a boy called Chris fancied her. She bought lots of things off 'club' books. She invited Steve for dinner and cooked him fish and chips but it caught fire so she went to the fish and chip shop and asked them to cook fish in breadcrumbs instead of batter so he would think she cooked it!

Needless to say, I'm not even going to attempt to justify that this is great literature. I just NEED to know what it's called so I can put myself out of my miserysmile

comixminx Wed 24-Oct-12 09:16:03

summerrain, there were lots of books that included the sort of theme you mention, cos its a trope I'm very fond of and read lots of! It could be The Chrysalids or Children of the Dust, as have been suggested, but I remember reading a library book that was similar but had a number of linked stories set initially after a nuclear holocaust but then going on to star exploration and beyond, as the powers that earth people has grew and grew. I think it might have been called Worlds Apart but I might be mixing it up with something else; it might also have been called something with Tree in the title.

RubberNeckNibbler Wed 24-Oct-12 09:53:43

jeee thanks for that suggestion, it sounds intriguingly (amazingly even) similar but having read the chapter summaries I don't think it's the story I'm looking for. However I will track down a copy to have a read in case there was a lot more to the story that I'd forgotten (entirely possible!). Thanks!

DeWe Wed 24-Oct-12 13:43:47

I've located the Anna books. Translated from Swedish.
Anna of Bloom Farm
Anna Keeps her promise
Anna Wins through
Anna of the Manor house
Anna solves the Mystery
Anna All Alone

by Martha Sandwall-Bergström

Not doing badly.

The other one definitely isn't Enid Blyton, much more violent than her grin. Have looked at the other and I don't think it is right, although the review I read was very scathing about the quality of the book writing ("best thing about this book is it's short"!) so I haven't necessarily had the best view of it.

vesela Thu 25-Oct-12 09:08:22

Definitely remember The Strange Affair of Adelaide Harris as a TV programme - it was excellent. It had a funny theme tune with alternating pictures, didn't it? And I liked one of the boys smile I'm not sure if I read the book or not.

Googling the details helped me to find my lost book. All I could remember was that the opening scene featured two children playing on the side of a mountain, and an eagle that (as I wrongly remembered) carried one of them off. In fact, the eagle brought something, and the book was The Toymaker's Daughter by Ursula Moray Williams.

AGhoulfromtheCrypt Thu 25-Oct-12 09:18:08

Does anyone remember a series of books about some children in Liverpool? They lived in an area where a lot of the houses were boarded up, and one of them had really red hair. I read them in the 80s, not sure when they were set. They might have been called the (whatever street it was) Street Kids or something. For some reason I keep thinking of Hope Street but it's not that.

sununu Thu 25-Oct-12 09:21:04

sarahplane - could the book with the alien teacher be Boom by Mark Haddon?

vesela Thu 25-Oct-12 09:35:20

GoldPlated - there's been a thread on the patchwork farm book before. I thought I found it, but the thread was in Chat and has disappeared now. (There was a shorter thread in Children's Books but that's not where I posted).

Aghoul were yours the 'Tommy Mac' books by Magaret Stuart Barry?

vesela Thu 25-Oct-12 09:46:56

AGhoulfromtheCrypt - A Pair of Jesus Boots, by Sylvia Sherry? Set in Liverpool and the main character (Rocky O'Rourke) has red hair.

AGhoulfromtheCrypt Thu 25-Oct-12 10:14:32

I don't think it's either of those. sad Thank you though!

It was definitely a series, and the name of the street was part of the name of the books. The kids were pre-teen rather than teen, they were all poor and a bit rough-and-ready - the older ones looked after the younger ones, and I think maybe some were Protestant and some Catholic.

I'll keep googling!

vesela Thu 25-Oct-12 10:21:38

Eve Garnett's The Family from One End Street? But it wasn't set in Liverpool.

A really long shot here before I resort to Booksleuth.

A book my dad read to me in the late 70s. I remember being scared.

It was a long story, and had pictures, one picture was a dragon roaring/breathing flames standing on top of a hill. The children in the book somehow ended up in some caves.

Not much info I know, sorry.

AGhoulfromtheCrypt Thu 25-Oct-12 10:33:04

I think I remember The Family from One End Street - was there an incident when someone boil-washed (or ironed) an item of clothing and it shrank?

I've actually managed to track them down (thanks to Abebooks) - the Wood Street series by Mabel Esther Allan. Brilliant!

TunipTheVegemal Thu 25-Oct-12 10:34:18

Yes there was, AGhoul. Lily Rose was trying to be helpful and she shrank a rich lady's petticoat but fortunately she was a kind rich lady and didn't mind.

AGhoulfromtheCrypt Thu 25-Oct-12 10:38:32

What a nice kind rich lady. And silly Lily Rose!

SummerRain Thu 25-Oct-12 10:47:16

Ponders.... I wasn't the average 10 year old, I started on the adult section at eleven so my 10 year old reads were the teenage section. Chrysalids sounds very familiar... I've definitely read children of the dust too but don't think it's the one I'm thinking of.

Comix... I'll check out worlds apart too thanks. I'm almost certain it wad on of a series so sounds likely.

I was an apocalyptic sci fi nut too so it's hard to narrow it down ad they all sound familiar!

Ponders Thu 25-Oct-12 14:16:54

SummerRain, looking at the amazon reviews I see several do recommend it for Y6/7 upwards so maybe it wasn't as strong & scary as I thought. I must read it again.

Did you ever come across Davy? (there are alternative editions, I just picked this one for the reviews)

As with the Chrysalids it's many years since I read it - I had a Penguin edition from when they had a sci-fi section, probably early 70s - so I don't remember too many details but I think it would be your sort of thing too smile

TicketToHull Thu 25-Oct-12 14:23:35

The Family From One End Street was one of the books I was going to ask about! Thanks vesela grin

I also thought I'd try to push my luck and see if anyone can help with a book I've been trying to remember for about 10 years now. It was about a girl who ended up with a black cat and a broomstick, and it transpired that (by putting the broomstick in a cupboard? Memory's a bit hazy) the cat could talk to her. His name began with a C I think.

There was also a sequel, and I think the author's first name was Barbra scared that I've included too much false information that's going to put people off the trail Anyone have the faintest idea of what it might've been called?

Ponders Thu 25-Oct-12 14:25:54

must have been this one though in my head the coloured illustration was different

all their sci-fi back to 1935 is illustrated on this page - you might find some new friends!

Ponders Thu 25-Oct-12 14:26:12

Carbonel, Ticket smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now