How can anyone not cry every time they read...

(94 Posts)
LoveYouForeverMyBaby Wed 03-Oct-12 21:44:03

...love you forever by Robert Munsch, gets me every time!

lisa1968 Sun 14-Oct-12 17:03:30

No Matter What by Debi Gliori.....cant read it!!

alemci Fri 12-Oct-12 21:51:25

Bike

definitely Peepo. The time period was when my grandparents were young and my dg would have been in ww2 uniform. It makes me cry. nostalgic and old fashioned.

probably Dogger too but haven't read it for a long time.

"No matter what" gets me every time, was really hard when DS wanted that story every night. "Once there were giants" was a story I had to read in assembly hen I was 8 months pregnant. I had to get the children to leave quickly before they realized I was crying! blush

Alitoomanykids Wed 10-Oct-12 14:37:19

I wish I could remember the name of a book that my son brought home from school as reading homework. I cant even remember the whole story (as I was blubbing uncontrollably behing ds back) but loosely it featured a wee girl and a bunch of dragons who went to sleep and turned into some small hills. I must have been pre-menstrual.... I can think of no other explanation!

SayHelloToMyLittleFriend Tue 09-Oct-12 17:28:28

I've got Guess How Much I Love You but have never actually got to the end of it as my dd (just turned 3) gets bored and wants a different book halfway through. Thinking about buying The Velveteen Rabbit and Love You Forever now though.

weegiemum Tue 09-Oct-12 16:52:09

I hate "Guess How Much I Love You"

"ok small brown rabbit (or something) you love me but cos I'm bigger I love you more and I can always win on the who loves the most game" eases

My weep-fest is "waiting for Noel". Sob!

Whatiswitnit Tue 09-Oct-12 16:48:52

Absolutely Peepo - it's the nostalgia of the pictures mainly but the rhythm and lilt of the words too.

Dogger, Bog Baby (really chokes me up!), Owl Babies and The Snail and The Whale all get me going too.

The biggest tear-jerker for me at the moment though is Blueberry Girl by Neil Gaiman which I bought for my youngest daughter's first Christmas. I'm a wreck by the end of that one.

EugenesAxe Mon 08-Oct-12 03:38:59

Maybe not the best... Congratulations though Earnest!

EarnestDullard Sun 07-Oct-12 16:52:43

I should not be reading this thread 4 days after giving birth.

<sniffs, wipes away tears>

EugenesAxe Sun 07-Oct-12 16:46:58

hermione - your post has given me eyeball prickles on a grand scale. That is so lovely!

I only know Velveteen Rabbit from bloody Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason! I will have to seek out for real.

ScatterChasse Sun 07-Oct-12 16:42:38

I had to read The Velveteen Rabbit when I was babysitting once, fortunately the little girl fell asleep as I was reading it because I was in floods by the end. I still think the Mum should have warned me!

Mole's Sunrise also gave me a bit of a lump in my throat at the end.

WereTricksPotter Sun 07-Oct-12 16:40:01

Nothing, by Mick Inkpen.

He's the Grandad's old, lost toy <dissolves>

Nagoo Sun 07-Oct-12 16:28:47

<surreptiously wipes away tear reading Lynette's post>

<orders loads of new books>

picnicbasketcase Sun 07-Oct-12 16:24:26

Why would you cry at the end of Stick Man, it's a lovely happy ending!

drjohnsonscat Sun 07-Oct-12 16:21:26

Oh my god loveandsqualor.

I had no warning that was coming. Bloody hell and snivels.

NothingTraLaLa Sat 06-Oct-12 21:30:56

I find it very hard to hold it together when reading "Little Baa" (especially in the past week) and usually end up hugging DD as tight as she will let me while trying to hide the tears.

"From far across the field, Ma picked out the little sound. It was the sound she wanted most of all in the whole wide new spring world."

sob

hermioneweasley Sat 06-Oct-12 21:19:02

Another one for velveteen rabbit.

The one that sets me off is "Sophie's masterpiece" about a spider who just wants to weave love,y things for people with her silk, but keeps being chased away. Eventually settles in the room of a boarding house where a young woman is pregnant and can't afford a baby blanket. Sophie is very old by now but works tirelessly to weave a blanket for the baby, and weaves her own heart into it and dies. I'm welling up just thinking about it. I always cry at the end.

I tell you, you haven't cried until you've sobbed your way through Roddy's Doyle's Her Mother's Face.

Siobhan's mother dies when she's three (yes! for STARTERS) and her dad brings her up; he's locked in his grief and they never talk about her mum (sniff). Now she's 10, and while she can remember her mother's hands and her laugh (choke) she can no longer picture her face (gulp). Then she meets a mysterious woman in the park who tells her a secret: to see her mother's face she needs to look in the mirror (roar). And then, if you can believe it, it gets even MORE heartrending.

I simply CANNOT read this to DS. It breaks me like a twig, every time.

chocolateshoes Sat 06-Oct-12 20:58:16

the Railways Children gets me every time

OlivesTree Sat 06-Oct-12 20:50:49

For anyone interested in the Velveteen Rabbit, the edition that is illustrated by Donna Green is exquisite.

Trying to find a link to it but struggling, I think it is an Australian edition.

OlivesTree Sat 06-Oct-12 20:44:05

This THREAD!

I am sitting here finishing of DD's 1st Birthday Prosecco from her party today and SOBBING over books that I haven't even read, & looking forward to poring over all of these with snuggles before bed.

We already have Hug which we love and I am off now to order Dogger, which I always LOVED and the Velveteen Rabbit, which is just. so. sad! I have also always liked The Giving Tree.

stargirl1701 Sat 06-Oct-12 20:28:30

I burst into tears reading 'When the World Was Waiting For You' whilst pregnant - in the middle of Waterstones! I bought it and it was the first book I read to LO (four weeks ago grin). I cried then too grin

TheMightyMojoceratops Sat 06-Oct-12 20:22:55

The end of Winnie the Pooh, where Christopher Robin grows up and leaves...

"But wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the forest a little boy and his bear will always be playing."

<sob>

VeritableSmorgasbord Sat 06-Oct-12 20:17:13

Love You Forever is banned in our house. It distressed me for DAYS.

EugenesAxe Sat 06-Oct-12 20:02:19

Yes perhaps re. your non-Christian point neontetra (love the name... those are the only fish I can name for DS when looking in the doctor's tank). You don't have to be a Christian to be compassionate and recognise the message given out in the book, but the emotion from the Easter story may be why we are tipped over the edge.

I'm with you on the Guess How Much books... tedious.

I forgot - and I can only suppose this is some issue I have with religious festivals generally - The Night Before Christmas. Only the last lines 'Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Good Night!'. They bring a lump to my throat. Narnia too, of course. Dawn Treader the most... the whole book from when Reepicheep jumps in and realises he's in freshwater fills me with this feeling of warmth and wonder. I sound very saccharine; I'm not really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now