How can anyone not cry every time they read...

(94 Posts)
LoveYouForeverMyBaby Wed 03-Oct-12 21:44:03

...love you forever by Robert Munsch, gets me every time!

CaseyShraeger Thu 04-Oct-12 14:11:09

Someday by Alison McGhee makes me get a bit weepy.

Adult book wise - has anyone read 'Family' by Susan Hill? It is a total humdinger of a sobathon. I mjst have read it over 10 times and I still cry!

Wetthemogwai Thu 04-Oct-12 19:22:10

Ah I see, I've not read it since I was a child so that's another for dds reading list!

Littleplasticpeople Thu 04-Oct-12 19:26:01

Not read 'love you forever', but agree with Dogger. I literally can't read it to the dcs. Just can't, I choke each time (and they sit there all stony faced).

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Thu 04-Oct-12 19:32:05

Dogger gets me and Annie-Rose is my Little Sister.

HUG used to make DC3 cry when he was little.

LookMaOneHand Thu 04-Oct-12 19:37:05

The Heart and the Bottle by Oliver Jeffers is a beautiful book that I cannot read without a lump in my throat and streaming down my cheeks

About a little girl who, through grief, has lost her ability to see the wonder in the world until she grows up and finds another little girl still small enough to see the wonder and give it all back to her... Oh, God.

I relate to it because my parents died when I was young and my little dd has given so much joy back to my life. The book tells a strange little story but it rings true through and through.

And I love it because the characters are girls, and they're filled with 'all the curiosities of the world', and the thoughts that fill their heads are about the solar system, and the biology of whales, and the classification of leaves. Not princesses and shoes.

Thank you, Oliver Jeffers smile

LookMaOneHand Thu 04-Oct-12 19:38:27

that should read and tears streaming down my cheeks

I have ruined that whole post with the surreal and gross image of a lump streaming down my cheeks. Sorry blush grin

Convert Thu 04-Oct-12 19:38:31

Agree with 'Guess how much I love you', 'The snail and the whale' makes me a bit emotional too.
I used to have a book called 'The christmas kitten' by James herriott when i was little and my Mom found a copy for me recently. I can't actually managed to read it to the kids because it upsets me so much!

Nottigermum - YY to "some dogs do"

niminypiminy Fri 05-Oct-12 22:57:21

Dogger - yes
Owl Babies - yes
Peepo, though, even thinking about it makes me teary. The thing is, I first read it when I was a children's librarian, and longed to have children, and I had a copy and then lost it in the years and years I was longing to have children and thought I never would be able to. And then, miraculously, I did, and a friend ( not knowing all this history), sent me a copy of Peepo, saying it reminded her of me. And then, when I get to the last page, and I think of all the time when I thought I would never be able to lift my own baby up to see himself in the mirror with the rainbow rim, and see a mother with a baby just like him... well, then I can't read anymore for all the tears and joy in my voice.

RillaBlythe Fri 05-Oct-12 23:05:47

Aw niminy

Peepo, Dogger, Alfie Gives a Hand, Snail & the Whale.

Also Everywhere Babies, & 10 Little Fingers.

Sniff.

RillaBlythe Fri 05-Oct-12 23:06:40

Oh, & Prayer for a Blueberry Girl by Neil Gaiman.

Love You Forever scares the bejesus outta me! How the son didn't have her institutionalised I don't know!

Not a book but The Stolen Child makes me sob. My friend lost a baby and had it read at the service. Oh god I weep!

"Come away oh human child
To the waters and the wild
With a faery by the hand
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand"

sad

LynetteScavo Fri 05-Oct-12 23:28:18

My DC know that when they grow up and move across town I will drive over in the night with a ladder strapped to the roof of my car and sneak into their room.

After I've rocked them I will pick up their dirty clothes of the floor and take them home to wash. And leave a not reminding them to take their vitamins.

In a moment, before I go to bed, I will go into my teenagers room, brush back the hair from his beautiful face, (which I don't get to see these days) and marvel at how sweet he looks as he sleeps. During the day he wouldn't let me touch him. If I could still pick him up and rock him while he slept I would.

EugenesAxe Fri 05-Oct-12 23:29:56

I choke a bit at Mutt Dog (if you've ever come across it) at the end, because of the word 'belongs' after the homeless-in-the-wet-and-wind montage in the middle of the book.

The Selfish Giant is the worst for me... but then I can't cope with the reading in the Bible it's based on. I mentioned it to the vicar once and starting crying... despite his godliness I still think he thought I was nuts.

I cry at several points of the Lord of the Rings. The worst is when a cock crows in the city of Minas Tirith during the battle and the narrative goes: 'And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns, dimly sounding in dark Mindolluin's sides. Great horns of the North, wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.' gives me the shudders. Gollum's bits are pretty bad too - when he touches Frodo's leg just before he's about to shop them to Shelob and Tolkein says of it that it could almost have been a caress.

BestIsWest Fri 05-Oct-12 23:47:19

niminyPiminy, Never mind the books, I found it hard to read your post without a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. What a lovely story.

Ruby Flew Too!!!
In floods every time. Ds does not allow me to read to anymore blush

read IT anymore
bad bad red wine smile

neontetra Sat 06-Oct-12 15:22:39

Yes to the Selfish Giant - deeply moving (though possibly less so to a non- Christian?) Don't get those Guess How Much I Love You books though. No plots to speak of. Dd and I find them deeply boring (but she is six months and bored by any books without multi-textured pages).

EugenesAxe Sat 06-Oct-12 20:02:19

Yes perhaps re. your non-Christian point neontetra (love the name... those are the only fish I can name for DS when looking in the doctor's tank). You don't have to be a Christian to be compassionate and recognise the message given out in the book, but the emotion from the Easter story may be why we are tipped over the edge.

I'm with you on the Guess How Much books... tedious.

I forgot - and I can only suppose this is some issue I have with religious festivals generally - The Night Before Christmas. Only the last lines 'Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Good Night!'. They bring a lump to my throat. Narnia too, of course. Dawn Treader the most... the whole book from when Reepicheep jumps in and realises he's in freshwater fills me with this feeling of warmth and wonder. I sound very saccharine; I'm not really.

VeritableSmorgasbord Sat 06-Oct-12 20:17:13

Love You Forever is banned in our house. It distressed me for DAYS.

TheMightyMojoceratops Sat 06-Oct-12 20:22:55

The end of Winnie the Pooh, where Christopher Robin grows up and leaves...

"But wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the forest a little boy and his bear will always be playing."

<sob>

stargirl1701 Sat 06-Oct-12 20:28:30

I burst into tears reading 'When the World Was Waiting For You' whilst pregnant - in the middle of Waterstones! I bought it and it was the first book I read to LO (four weeks ago grin). I cried then too grin

OlivesTree Sat 06-Oct-12 20:44:05

This THREAD!

I am sitting here finishing of DD's 1st Birthday Prosecco from her party today and SOBBING over books that I haven't even read, & looking forward to poring over all of these with snuggles before bed.

We already have Hug which we love and I am off now to order Dogger, which I always LOVED and the Velveteen Rabbit, which is just. so. sad! I have also always liked The Giving Tree.

OlivesTree Sat 06-Oct-12 20:50:49

For anyone interested in the Velveteen Rabbit, the edition that is illustrated by Donna Green is exquisite.

Trying to find a link to it but struggling, I think it is an Australian edition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now