How can anyone not cry every time they read...

(94 Posts)
LoveYouForeverMyBaby Wed 03-Oct-12 21:44:03

...love you forever by Robert Munsch, gets me every time!

qo Thu 04-Oct-12 07:36:27

I read Charlotte's web when I was 7 and was inconsolable, I bought it for my nieces birthday when I was an adult and was inconsolable all over again - I can't believe someone would write something so heart-achingly sad for a children's book!

AllOverIt Thu 04-Oct-12 07:46:25

Snail and the whale for me.

'and the whale and the snail told their wonderful tale of shimmering ice and coral caves, and shooting stars and enormous waves and of how a snail, so small and frail, with her looping curling silvery trail, saved the life of the hump-back whale.

And the hump-back whale held out his tail and on crawled snail after snail after snail

And they sang to the sea as they all set sail on tail of the grey-blue hump-back whale....

sob

BikeRunSki Thu 04-Oct-12 07:49:07

I can't believe no one has mentioned Peepo!

On the other hand, we always cheer when Tiddler gets back to school.

ScienceRocks Thu 04-Oct-12 07:52:31

Once There Were Giants does me in. It's just lovely smile

bruffin Thu 04-Oct-12 08:07:46

and me Science Rocks

MissHavishamsWeddingCake Thu 04-Oct-12 08:23:37

No Matter What by Debbie Gliori gets me very time sad

qo Thu 04-Oct-12 10:07:30

I've just filled up with tears from only reading the review of once there were giants! Note to self, never read the book!

Wetthemogwai Thu 04-Oct-12 10:46:18

bike what's wrong with peepo?

TunipTheVegemal Thu 04-Oct-12 11:52:16

Peepo? Because it's the time when our mums and dads were babies, and our grandparents who are now dead were young mums and dads like us.
And because the war is going on in the background and the baby experiences a safe happy life but so many children weren't.

LegArmpits Thu 04-Oct-12 11:56:51

Once There Were Giants. I have goose pimples just thinking about it.
And Tabby McTat!

Yes - No Matter What completely floored me when DS got it out of the library sad. I couldn't finish it.

Both my parents have died so I genuinely believe books like this should have a warning sticker on the front. Maybe some kind of 'weepy' logo. wink.

I also struggle with Owl Babies (and she came!)

Oh the Places You'll Go is also often a struggle.

Blimey I need to pull myself together!

Velveteen Rabbit and Dogger both make me weep. Am teary just thinking of them... (which is not good because I'm waiting to go into a meeting here!)

lljkk Thu 04-Oct-12 12:05:30

I was given at least 4 copies of the Munsch book when DC1 was born.
I loathed each and every one.
Yes it makes me cry, but it's just... horrible. It's like people who think Every Breath you Take by the Police is a love song. Something deeply wrong.

BardOfBarking Thu 04-Oct-12 12:27:47

I agree lljkk Every breath you take is very disturbing; freaky, stalker song of obsession. Oh a bit like 'Love you forever'. The mother is deranged and obsessed!!!

PostmanPatsBlackandWhiteCat Thu 04-Oct-12 13:04:58

I have just watched someone reading I love you forever on you tube I cried my eyes out.
Goodnight Mog gets me too and Hey I love you does as well.

notso Thu 04-Oct-12 13:19:43

<<shudder>> at that love you forever book, can you imagine the AIBU thread?

Woke up to find MIL rocking a sleeping DH while crooning, WIBU to get her arrested?

drjohnsonscat Thu 04-Oct-12 13:24:50

Puff the Magic Dragon. Wahhh. We have a book of it which I cannot get through.

Also a lovely baby book called Me by Emma Dodd. About a baby penguin and how big the world is. The payoff line, said to his mum, is

"I may be small but I can see,
the biggest thing to you is me"

Also "Oh the places you'll go". Cannot get through it without voice going weird.

Nottigermum Thu 04-Oct-12 13:26:51

I read The Kindest Giant in Town to DS1 when pregnant and bust into tears.

He was really wondering what was going on with mum.

Some Dogs Do also brings a tear to my eye, but the kids don't get it at all.

BikeRunSki Thu 04-Oct-12 13:28:34

I read recently that Peepo is based on Allan Alberg's own childhood, growing up in the Blitz with two older sisters. I guess I find it weepy because it's about my parents' and grandparents' generations and that we now know how many fathers did not see their families again.

winnybella Thu 04-Oct-12 13:31:45

Every single time I read Guess How Much I Love You to DD I wonder why did it make me cry last time as there isn't anything really that moving there...

and so I stay dry-eyed throughout the whole book

and then I get to:

I love you to the moon - still ok there

AND BACK ---tears streaming down hmm

BikeRunSki Thu 04-Oct-12 13:32:54

I am meant to be reading "The Places You'll Go" at DD's naming in a couple of weeks. Not sure that I'll manage.

CaseyShraeger Thu 04-Oct-12 13:35:05

In principle I love No Matter What, but the grammatical errors bug the hell out of me. I am aware that this makes me a soulless pedant.

Badgers Parting Gifts. <snivel> Someone bought it for my eldest dd about 15 years ago and I still heave with sob-ness when I even see the cover!

NimChimpsky Thu 04-Oct-12 13:41:26

The Bog Baby is beautiful. DD adores No Matter What and Peepo with the mirror with the rainbow rim? <sob>

Love You Forever is creepy shit on the other hand.

The Places You Will Go is v v moving too.

BirdyArms Thu 04-Oct-12 13:43:25

Peepo makes me cry more than any other. Owl Babies too if I'm in a weepy kind of a mood.

Guess How Much I Love You can also make me cry although I fundamentally disapprove of it - think big nut brown hare is a bit of an arse always having to get one up on Little nut brown Hare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now