12 yr old girl

(16 Posts)
noddyholder Sat 29-Sep-12 09:34:39

Could anyone recommend some books for 12 yr old girl ? Sporty clever voracious reader! Not teenagey at all still very much a girl iygwim! TIA

EmpressOfTheGoldOceans Sat 29-Sep-12 09:43:00

Sounds a bit like DD. She's reading Ally Carter's Gallagher Academy books, about a spy school for girls, Dee Shulman's Totally Secret Diary series and Caroline Lawrence's Roman Mysteries.

DeWe Sat 29-Sep-12 21:40:22

Dd1's 11yo and very much a girly-girl.
She's enjoyed over the last couple of years Alex Rider, and The Cherub Series/Henderson Boys. Also Nancy Drew. I've just sent her up with one of the Green Knowe stories. I'll see if she enjoys that.

Takver Sun 30-Sep-12 13:20:47

What other books does she like? Some thoughts -

Fly By Night by Frances Hardinge
The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde (I think he's done other YA books but only seen this one)
Dragonsong trilogy by Anne McCaffrey (this trilogy is also YA although the other Pern novels are aimed at adults)
Terry Pratchetts young adult novels, the Tiffany Aching series in particular.

Also maybe A Dog Called Homeless by Sarah Lean (quick easy read, but a very thought provoking story, I think it would appeal to most girls on that child/teen interface)

burmac Sun 30-Sep-12 22:25:20

My 12 yr old DD has ploughed through lots of Darren Shan and just today started on Cherub series, recommended by my older DD.

jongleuse Mon 01-Oct-12 12:00:46

Tiffany Aching and Pratchett fab. Small Persons with Wings by Ellen Booraem Flora Segunda by Yseabeau Wilce and Ellen Renner's City of Thieves also good.
Has she read Phillip Pullman?
Non-fantasy...have heard good things about Susie Day and Lil Chase's books must admit haven't yet read them myself.

yearsofrefusal Mon 01-Oct-12 12:06:36

David Walliams

Maryz Mon 01-Oct-12 12:21:28

dd enjoyed Cornelia Funke and Philip Pullman at that age.

And then moved on to Vampires hmm.

There is also the City of Glass trilogy by Cassandra Clare, and of course the Hunger Games

She also enjoyed ds2's zombie books - Charlie Higson's The Fear etc and the Percy Jackson books.

Maryz Mon 01-Oct-12 12:23:03

And the old favourites - Anne of Green Gables, Mallory Towers, Little House, Black Beauty (she bawled at that one), 101 Dalmations and the sequel, chalet school if you are lucky enough to have them.

There are lots of books that don't have to go into teenager yuk.

Blipbipbeep Mon 01-Oct-12 12:25:36

Laine Taylor - Dreamdark books - about a feisty fairy saving the world one devil at a time.

Takver Mon 01-Oct-12 17:34:25

Old favourites - I'd add Flambards (now out as a Oxford children's classic) + sequels and other KM Peyton novels. Especially good if she likes horses, but good stories regardless.

Themumsnot Mon 01-Oct-12 17:44:13

My 12 year old DD is also reading Cherub series atm. DD1 wouldn't have touched them. She has also enjoyed Alex Scarrow's Timerider series, and a adventure/mystery series by Michael Grant (Gone, Hunger, Plague).
Most of the time she reads historical fiction though, she loves Eve Edwards who does Tudor romance stuff, really liked Simon Scarrow's Gladiator books and older fiction like Little Women. I'll assume your DD has read the Hunger Games, but has she read Divergent by Veronica Roth which is a must read for anyone who liked the HG series.

Youwontdissolveintherain Mon 01-Oct-12 21:28:02

Lauren St John - The One-Dollar Horse. Really exciting story, great characters.

Jusfloatingby Tue 02-Oct-12 15:11:19

I capture the castle by Dodie Smith is a lovely book. I read it when I was 12.

noddyholder Tue 02-Oct-12 18:24:21

Thanks everyone! I have made a great list for her. Not my dc but a little girl I know whose mum asked me as she knows I read and she doesn't but I am clueless on 12 yr old girls!

jongleuse Fri 05-Oct-12 21:31:36

p.s. also there is a great website called www.lovereadingforkids.co.uk where once you register you can read the opening chapter of lots of books for free which might help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now