The Silver Sword

(15 Posts)
Hanorah Sat 29-Sep-12 22:12:47

I adored this book as a kid, and I read it to my DTSs a few months ago when they were 10 going on 11. They handled it fine at that age but I wouldn't have tried it much younger. I struggled to keep it together reading the last few pages !

DisorderlyNights Thu 20-Sep-12 15:26:33

My DS read it in year 3, when he was studying the wars and had been asked to read a novel set then during Easter holidays. I had good memories of enjoying it and we read it together.

He isn't sensitive though, some children wouldn't cope with it at that age.

Colyngbourne Tue 18-Sep-12 00:36:30

It's usually read in Year 5 or 6 alongside studing WW2. I agree it is pretty much one of the best stories set in that period.

Ds (who is now 11) read it in year 4. As they did a project about WWII that year, it tied in quite well.

ScatterChasse Sun 16-Sep-12 21:26:45

I read it when I was about 8 I think (just on my own). My DBro did it at school in Year 5, so 9-10 as part of a topic.

StormGlass Sun 16-Sep-12 20:06:33

We did it in school in year 7.

derekthehamster Wed 12-Sep-12 18:24:44

My son enjoyed it. He would have been 10 or 11

DeWe Wed 12-Sep-12 18:23:08

Dh read it at about age 6-7. He said it was his first long chapter book and he was determined to read it. He found it a slog, but enjoyed it at the same time if that makes sense. But he has a lot of determination if he decides to do something.

SecretSpi Tue 11-Sep-12 21:05:07

I read it to my son a couple of years ago when he was 10. He also read "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" around the same time and found "the Silver Sword" a far better book as it has more of a sense of a real story about it - he identified with the children in "The Silver Sword" whereas he found the boy Bruno in TBITSP rather dim!

sassytheFIRST Tue 11-Sep-12 18:43:25

Fab book - no younger than 9 IMO tho because of the subject matter.

Grey kitten? What was that? Can't remember that detail...<wibble>

sittinginthesun Tue 11-Sep-12 18:40:37

Thanks. DS is year 4, and a strong reader who loves history, but I'm just wondering if it'll be a bit much for him. It still makes me feel a bit teary just thinking about it, and it's been 20 years since I read it!

CakeBump Tue 11-Sep-12 18:39:43

A fantastic book.

I would say its aimed at children reading at aged 10 to 11 too. The themes would be a little bit disturbing to a younger child I think.

jeee Tue 11-Sep-12 18:38:00

my kids loved it - but when I was reading it to them I struggled with the last couple of chapters because I found myself welling up.

DD1 and DS then read it at school in year 5.

SheelaNeGoldGig Tue 11-Sep-12 18:29:46

Iust have been about 10 or 11.

That grey kitten has always worried me.

sittinginthesun Tue 11-Sep-12 18:27:34

I have vivid memories of this book - just wondered if it's still being read and, if so, what age it's aimed at?

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now