What are you and the kids reading tonight?

(77 Posts)
KittenMitts3 Wed 15-Aug-12 13:34:20

My older DH is reading 'Nation' - fantastic story, I've read it too.
My SE is having Farmer Duck, then the ebook Slippy the Slimy Slug!
I'm going to settle with a cup of tea (or a glass of wine), then look at my 'Now' magazine.

What are you all reading?

EyeoftheStorm Wed 15-Aug-12 21:02:45

DS2: Iggle Piggle Lost his blanket

DD1: Five on a Treasure Island (I'd forgotten how much George hates being a girl and there's an awful lot of twinkling between her and Julian)

DS1: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (almost at the end and I'm wondering how he's going to react to what happens to Cedric Diggory)

Me: Orb Sceptre Throne by Ian Esslemont (nothing like a meaty fantasy of an evening)

I must have read out loud for about an hour and a half tonight. Need some wine.

Vagaceratops Wed 15-Aug-12 21:06:46

DS1 is reading on of the 'How to train your dragon' books
DS2 - The Gruffalo's Child (for the 57 millionth time - he has ASD and had had that book as part of our routine for about 2 years now. He wont entertain any other book)
DD - Barry the Fish with fingers and the hairy scary monster.

FarelyKnutsAboutTheIrishTeam Wed 15-Aug-12 21:09:45

The very hungry caterpiller (again!!) and Slinky Malinky (also again, I can read it off by heart now grin )

For myself it is Fallen by Karin Slaughter

madliz Wed 15-Aug-12 21:12:13

DS (14) is reading Polgara the Sorceress by David Eddings (my book from when I was 16!)

DD s (twins of 10) were reading Brain Fart and Secret Seven respectively.
DD (4) was reading Room on the broom - by herself- such a clever chops!

Im on here when I should be studying for a very exciting financial exam so I guess by book of (NO) choice is Certificate of Financial Planning- whooppeee

foolserrand Wed 15-Aug-12 21:26:35

We had the monkey with the bright blue bottom for ds aged 3 and mrs tiggy winkle for dd (15 weeks).

I'm reading the controversial 50 shades <ducks> but promise to read a proper book after! grin

bahookie Wed 15-Aug-12 22:06:45

DD1 (7) roald dahl's biography of his childhood - boy and going solo (she's loving it!)
DD2 (5) katie morag storybook - by mairi hedderwick

i'm currently on amazon trying to find my next book to download to kindle....

Sabriel Wed 15-Aug-12 22:11:44

DD had Zog, CaveBaby and the Troll.

I'm halfway through a David Baldacci but no idea what it's called.

Moocherbot Wed 15-Aug-12 22:15:52

Funny how many kids books contain the words "Again" in their unofficial title. DD's all time favourite she believes is actually called "The Tiger who came to tea AGAIN"

peeriebear Wed 15-Aug-12 22:16:53

DD1 (10) - Ottoline and the Yellow Cat
DD2 (5) - We read the Sneetches again for a bedtime story.
Me- Just finished the Lord of the Rings again. <sniff>
DH- Just finished Fight Club on my Kindle, secretly chuffed as he is dyslexic and reads about 2 books a year!

goingtobefree Wed 15-Aug-12 22:38:12

Dd11 was reading Mistress Mashams repose but have decided that she does not want to continue this. She has decided to read PG Wodehouse Jeeves and Wooster -not sure what she has started.

goingtobefree Wed 15-Aug-12 22:39:01

Right Ho Jeeves is what she was reading tonight.

gingercurl Wed 15-Aug-12 22:57:48

DS had Horton Hears a Who! and The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (He's is definitely going through a Dr. Seuss phase.)
I've just finished The French Lieutenant's Woman. Haven't decided what to pick up next, but have a self-imposed moratorium on buying new books as I have too many lying around that I have yet to read.

Beamur Wed 15-Aug-12 23:00:59

DD had 'the Duck that had no luck' and a story from an anthology called 'Big Bog Frog'
I'm reading something on my Kindle which has a very long name (which I can't remember all of) which starts something like 'the girl who circumnavigated the globe...' I've just finished 'The song of Achilles' which I rather liked.

The Tailor of Gloucester to my DS, we're working through the Beatrix Potter 'Peter Rabbit' series this week. Me, I'm on 'Spuds, Spam and Eating for Victory, Rationing in the Second World War' as that's a bit of a hobby for me. Not really recommended unless you're a fan.

bonkersLFDT20 Wed 15-Aug-12 23:11:17

I am reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It was my Mothers and is falling to bits, but it seems to be hard to get hold of a new paperback copy.

DS2 (age 3) had Crocodile's Masterpiece by Max Velthuijs and one about Frog's Birthday by the same author.

Don't know what DS1 (13) is reading, but he's enjoying it. I can't be arsed to get up and find out!
Don't know what DH is reading either.

GetKnitted Thu 16-Aug-12 08:23:17

Tell me a story about the OLD DAYS mummy... when you were little.

shock

Prarieflower Thu 16-Aug-12 08:40:35

I'm reading Nightwoods by Charles Frazier

Dtwin s(8)a Horrible Science book and a Jeremy Strong
Dtwin s (8) I Houdini by Lyn Reid Banks and the Argos catalogue
Dd (7) Ottoline

DuchessofMalfi Fri 17-Aug-12 08:43:54

DD (6) - last night it was The Lorax. She took a break from reading her current terribly formulaic (but somehow still enjoyable) Rainbow Magic story.

DS (3) - a book of nursery rhymes. He loves them and enjoys joining in.

Me - The Tudor Housewife by Alison Sim (non-fiction, history) and Calmer, Easier, Happier Parenting by Noel Janis Norton.

IAmNotACaterpillar Fri 17-Aug-12 21:40:54

I'm really excited because I've just started reading dd my copy of Gobbolino the Witch's Cat and she loves it!

Also have now ordered The Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse, which captivated me when my very first teacher (back in the day when it was called first year infants!) read it to us, so that'll be the next one.

I'm perusing my list on my kindle and deciding what to read next...

Campaspe Sat 18-Aug-12 18:42:16

DD - aged 5 - will be having a chapter from one of the Railway Rabbits books read to her. I've got several new books from the library today, and will make my choice when I go to bed tonight!

wibbleweed Mon 20-Aug-12 16:52:10

We're currently reading Harry Potter - Goblet of Fire to DS1 (8) as a bedtime story and he's reading 'Dream master - Arabian Nights' to himself

DS2 (5) is obsessed with non-fiction and each night selects one of his 'Usborne Beginners' books to have read to him. Last night was 'Volcanoes'.

And I'm currently reading 'Toast' about Nigel Slater's childhood...

ww

drjohnsonscat Mon 20-Aug-12 21:46:22

DD (5) is reading Oh Kitty by Bel Mooney
DS (3) was read another Tinga Tinga tale which he loves

I'm reading Bond St Story by Norman Collins - a very underrated novelist who wrote some very vivid London stories.

BigHairyFlowers Mon 20-Aug-12 21:50:10

DS - Slinky Malinki
Me - Mumsnet

WantAnOrange Mon 20-Aug-12 21:51:31

I am reading 11.22.63 by Stephen King.

DH and DS are reading Danny the Champion of the World.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Mon 20-Aug-12 21:54:36

ds1 beano comic
ds2 chapter of wind in the willows
me - mn & silent witness on tv

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now