Diary of a Wimpy Kid Creator, Jeff Kinney joins Mumsnet for a Q&A- ANSWERS BACK

(60 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 19-Oct-11 13:49:35

To celebrate the release of the brand new Diary of a Wimpy Kid book: CABIN FEVER, we're inviting Greg Heffley fans to send in their questions for author Jeff Kinney. When the Q&A closes, we'll send over your questions to Jeff and if your question is one of ten to be answered, you will win a copy of CABIN FEVER.

CABIN FEVER catches up with the Heffley family who are stuck inside when a fierce blizzard hits....the big question being; will they weather the storm?  

If you haven't yet encountered the Wimpy Kid books, they are a mixture of comic-strip and novel and have sold over 50 million copies worldwide, as well as being turned into two feature films. They diarise the hilarious  exploits of goofy student, Greg Heffley, his family and friends. Jeff Kinney began a comic strip whilst at Uni called 'lgdoof' which ran in the campus newspaper. He then spent six years writing the first Diary of a Wimpy Kid, which was published in daily installments on the educational website, Funbrain.com. In 2008 the diaries were published together as the first book in the series.

If your children are Wimpy Kid fans, send in their questions for Jeff before the end of day on Tuesday 25th October. You don't have to give any details about your child, although their age may be useful. We'll be announcing the winners and linking through to the ten questions and answers on publication date, 16th November. 

WhoIsThatMaskedWoman Wed 16-Nov-11 16:40:00

Oh how exciting. The DCs were thrilled to see their names in lights (sort of).

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-Nov-11 14:58:18

Jeff Kinney's answers are now back. See:

Jeff Kinney Q&A

Congratulations to the ten Mumsnetters whose questions were answered, you have each won a copy of Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever, which is published today. We'll be pm-ing you with more details.

Lilyloo Wed 16-Nov-11 13:34:37

Have i missed this or will it be linked on this thread today ? thanks

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 26-Oct-11 18:18:38

This Q&A is now closed. We're going to be sending over the ten selected questions to Jeff by the end of the week and linking to his answers, as well as announcing the ten winners of Cabin Fever, on publication day: November 16th.

webwoman05 Tue 25-Oct-11 17:20:39

My 10 year old son loves your books and chose Diary of a Wimpy Kid to review for his creative homework (as did most of the class!). He would like to know - Which character was the most fun to write?

urania Tue 25-Oct-11 17:01:53

Where did you get the inspiration for your books?

Keep up the good work! Theo age 8

ICapturedTheKitchen Tue 25-Oct-11 14:57:44

First of all, huge congratulations on writing such brilliant books that have managed to appeal to all of us from kids to ancient parents!

While I'm particularly keen on Rodrick's 'sorry women' comment in Book/Film 1, I do still have a chortle at Grandad's board game and the sound fiscal policy responsiblity comments - which shows how sad I am.

Still, I have reasonably normal children and here are the questions from the boys (their sister is in the Patty camp so less likely to ask anything . . . )

DS1 (12): Do you get absolutely furious when you see all of the books which are ripping off 'Wimpy Kid'? (This concern came about after our last bookstore trip which did, indeed, show an alarming number of copycats, which offended him hugely.)

DS2 (6): Do you think I should have my own copies of the books rather than share them with my brother, because that would be much better? (That question isn't going to set the critical literary analysis world alight, is it?)

Thanks - and keep them coming!

Lotstodo Mon 24-Oct-11 20:23:30

My 10 year old daughter loves 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' and wants to know if you have any plans for a story board/comic strip type of book as she loves the expressions on Greg's face and although she is a competent reader she always loves comics like Beano and Dandy for that reason?

P.S. In her excitement she thought this was to meet Jeff Kinney in person. She will settle with asking a question though.

nadchaoli Mon 24-Oct-11 20:04:40

did you really have a party when your mom and dad were away and did your older brother write a cool message on the bathroom door and did you have to swap the door?

My 7 year old son just typed the above question(s!) for Greg; he even elected to use the American spelling for 'mum'. He was really excited to hear about the Q&A and said he should try to ask an open question as Greg would "have to do bigger answers and say more".

MissSwift Mon 24-Oct-11 18:58:02

DD (aged 9 and a huuuuge fan) is asking if Greg had to take part in next year's London Olympics which sporting event would he take part in and why?

norfolkdumpling Mon 24-Oct-11 17:40:39

Hello. My 9 year old son would like to ask three questions please. He asked if Greg will grow up in your books like Harry Potter does? He also wants to know how do you make up such funny stuff and how did you learn to draw so well? Thank you.

Cheeseandseveredfingersarnie Mon 24-Oct-11 15:56:18

ds1(10) would like to say 'they are really good books'
can i add that that he's dyslexic,has never had any interest in reading untill he was given one of your books!hes obssessed!he reads them to me,to his teacher,to himself.for a child that refused to read because he'd had so much trouble being diagnosed with dyslexia,to see him reading and enjoying it is fantastic,so thankyou!

lia66 Mon 24-Oct-11 15:43:09

I am now handing over to my 6 yr dd who would like to type her own question....

How did you think of so fantastic comics?

kitandnoodle Sun 23-Oct-11 20:49:40

DS (7) asks "What made you do the drawings in the books as cartoons?".

pointydog Sun 23-Oct-11 14:27:45

dd2 turns 13 next week and she's a big Wimpy Kid fan, books and films and books about films etc.

As she has an annoying big sister, she loves Rodrick. Where did your ideas for Rodrick come from? A big brother, cousin, school? And will you be writing about Greg until he is Rodrick's age?

MrsHeffley Sun 23-Oct-11 10:29:21

DD 6 sings Loaded Diaper. She's had nightmares that Freggly is coming for her with a bogey too confused.

I know there is a limit on books but could you answer all the questions as my dc are enjoying this thread and would like to know the answers to them all grin?

pink4ever Sat 22-Oct-11 15:12:56

Hi jeff
Have to be honest-we came to the wimpy kid stories through the filmsblush.
Did you enjoy the films? were the characters how you imagined them to be?-and are there going to be any more because we thought they were great!!

Rooroo Sat 22-Oct-11 15:05:29

Hi Jeff. My DS (age 8) loves all your books and can't wait for Cabin Fever to come out. He'd like to know if you had a brother like Rodrick when you were growing up?
PS He's always singing Loded Diper!

Tarka Sat 22-Oct-11 11:37:10

Hi Jeff, my 8 year old son would like to know - who is your favourite character from the books, and why?
Thanks. smile

Tarka Sat 22-Oct-11 11:26:03

Hi Jeff, my 8 year old son would like to know who your favourite character is from the books and why?
Thanks. smile

TheMonster Sat 22-Oct-11 10:56:55

I teach secondary pupils, many of whom enjoy your books. Did you expect children to enjoy them at age 15?

jackandbethsmum Sat 22-Oct-11 08:03:07

Loads of questions from my 10 year old DS, such as what colour will the cover of your next book be and are there any new characters in Cabin Fever? He would also love to know what made you start writing books? My DD (7) wants to know which books you liked when you were little?

bubby64 Fri 21-Oct-11 20:20:04

DtwinSs (10yrs) both love the books and films, and wish to know the following:
DS1 - Why is Rowley such a baby?
DS2 - How old is Manny meant to be?
Also, are any of the characters based on you or your family, if so, who is who?

philmassive Fri 21-Oct-11 19:36:27

Ds would like to know if wimpy kid was the first 'proper' thing you wrote and what sort of things were you good at in school. By which I think he means the lessons you were best at. Thank you.

Ilikedrinkingblood Fri 21-Oct-11 19:26:21

DD (age 8) would like to know if Diary of a Wimpy Kid is about you as a child. She loves your books and was so happy when they were bought for the school library.
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now