Top 5 recommendations for books for babies

(40 Posts)
stereo Sat 15-Jan-11 22:26:59

Hi all, if you were to invest in (i.e. buy rather than borrow)five baby books, what would be your top recommnedations? Thanks!

BookKids Thu 25-Jul-13 09:25:01

I agree with mylifewithstrangers, some great titles are:Dear Zoo
The Baby's Catalogue (Ahlbergs)
Each Peach Pear Plum (ditto)
Peepo (ditto)
Owl babies
Hairy Maclairy/Slinky Malinky series

Others authors I would recommend are:
Leslie Patricelli series (Yummy Yucky, Huggy Kissy)
Sandra Boynton (my kids' favourite books 1-3 years old)
Rod Campbell (eg Dear Zoo)
Check out this website for more recommendations:
www.bookkids.com.au

SW3motherofboth Sun 27-Mar-11 02:35:03

You must get Charlie Chick. Have yet to find a toddler that does not love it.

MrsDaffodill Tue 22-Mar-11 14:55:41

Agree with most suggestions here. But also you NEED "Goodnight Moon" by Margaret Wise Brown - the perfect end to any bedtime ritual.

mathanxiety Tue 01-Mar-11 20:30:28

The Boo and Baa books by Olof and Lena Landstrom are short and chewable, quite amusing.

We had a book called What Do Babies Do? Here -- it had photos of babies doing real things like smiling, crying, going on tiptoes -- actually I had to buy three copies, one after the other, as they all loved that book. Babies and little toddlers love looking at photos of other babies.

If you can lay your hands on any board books by Judy or Phoebe Dunn, buy them (buy more than one at a time because they will get worn out eventually, from use) -- this one especially -- each page of this one just has a photo of a farm animal. All the DCs loved this little book. I turned the chunky little pages and said something along the lines of 'the cat says MIOW' at the appropriate page. DD3 surprised me by turning the pages one day and making the sound of each animal in turn.

Assortment of animal books by Judy Dunn. I can't say enough about the attractiveness of these photo board books for the very young.

And Eric Carle books too.

And Sandra Boynton is lovely for babies and toddlers. We loved But Not The Hippopotamus, and The Going To Bed Book.

Dred Tue 01-Mar-11 06:28:35

'You' by Emma Dodd is lovely.

K8ster Tue 01-Mar-11 04:38:48

That's not my.......
Dear Zoo
Wheres Spot
Brown Bear, Brown Bear what do you see?

My son also LOVES Baby on the Farm and F is for Farm..of which there is also B is for Bear

...Gruffalo will not hold his interest yet nor the caterpillar nor guess how much I love you...from my experience books with "feely" bits or 'flaps" are better for younger babies...but I'm sure all babies are different!

Orange Pear Apple Bear. Lovely, and interesting enough for you to sound perky at each reading!

Hippos go Berserk. Fun rhyming text, and great details for later on.

What is Black and White? Nice repetitive text, fun final page and clever pages which make it super easy for the baby to turn them.

Tickle Tickle. Only four pages - easy to learn to anticipate the tickle at the end.

Where is Maisy's Panda? Flaps seem to be an ideal size. Bit odd to look for the panda in the toilet, though!

wearymum200 Fri 18-Feb-11 22:12:46

For little babies (board book versions def recommended)
That's not my.... (unlike others above I would say one or maybe 2 max)
Baby boo
Dear zoo
Cloth book, pref crinkly
Very hungry caterpillar

When a bit bigger
Any julia donaldson, but try a few out, diff children seem to be captiavted by diff ones
Tiger who came to tea
Hairy maclary (both of mine loved the rhymes)
Little red train
And our current favourite, pumpkin soup

cymruoddicatref Fri 18-Feb-11 17:25:42

Tony mitten's bumpus jumpus dinosaur rumpus.

What a fab book that is. More toddler really, but it is impossible to read it without getting caught up in the wonderful rhythms.

Also, stretching back into the mists of time, spot the dog was v popular.

crystalglasses Fri 18-Feb-11 15:01:11

Where's Spot

UntamedShrew Fri 18-Feb-11 14:59:58

Meg & Mog
Dear Zoo
Elephant and Bad Baby
One Mole digging a hole
A squash and a squeeze

We also got a nice one for free from Bookstart which is called the Big Night Night Book.

My DTs are 2 and like a mix of longer stories / more visual / more interactive. Hope the above list fits that criteria, but would look at the books first and try not to buy all the same time e.g. all lift the flap books.

cloudydays Sat 29-Jan-11 23:20:18

1 year old DD and I recommend:

Polar Bears - an Usborne book with touchy feely bits, very simple text and very sweet pictures.

That's Not My Dinosaur

The Elephant and the Bad Baby because she rides rumpeta rumpeta rumpeta on my knees and loves that.

Pumpkin Soup because I never tire of the gorgeous illustrations no matter how many times we read it.

And her very favorite that I would (and do) recommend to anyone who asks:

My Family a soft photo album with eight or nine pages that fit 4"X6" pictures. We filled it with pictures of her, each of us, her grandparents and cousins - mostly close-ups of faces - and she really loves it. When she was tiny she just stared a the faces, and now she's started to proudly name who's who. It's brilliant because some of them live far away or have passed on and we love that she's getting to "know" them all.

BertieBotts Sat 29-Jan-11 01:27:53

Anything touchy feely you want to buy new, as otherwise the textured bits can be a bit raggedy. But otherwise I still get all of DS' books from charity shops - it's fun as you never know what you will find And for 20p or so on a book, I don't get precious about it if he accidentally rips them or spills things on them or wants to turn the pages himself and ends up creasing them

anonymosity Sat 29-Jan-11 01:11:43

Eric Carle's "Polar Bear, Polar Bear, what do you see?"
and his "The Very Quiet Cricket" and
"Papa, Please get the moon for me"

agree with Peepo and Hungry Caterpiller and Rosie's Walk.

DilysPrice Fri 28-Jan-11 17:03:33

For very young babies you can't beat the Amazing Baby board books - they're specially designed to be full of stuff that the 4-6 months ones love. DD adored the Twinkle Twinkle Little Star one. Once they're a teeny bit older then I'd second practically all the other suggestions above.

Blatherskite Fri 28-Jan-11 16:51:50

I was reading "Rainbow Rob" to my last baby yesterday and getting all upset at the thought that in a few years, no-one will want to read it with me again sad It's such a lovely, bright book with lovely textures that teaches colours to teenies and has a lovely message about it being OK to be yourself for toddlers and the last pages fold out to make a huge, 4 page spread. It's great and i know it off by heart.

There's another one called Millie Moo by the same people tht's almost as good.

I buy "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" for any new babies in the family because it's so good.

"Dear Zoo" definitely. We got "Dear Santa" at Christmas too.

"Guess How Much I Love You" for slightly tearful bedtime cuddles

and

lots of the "That's Not My...." books. Our favourite is "That's Not My Baby" as DD loves admiring herself in the mirror at the end

NickiAndAlex Fri 28-Jan-11 16:32:08

My daughter's favourites include:

The Gruffalo
Room on the Broom
Where's Spot
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Dear Zoo

The Gruffalo is a little longer than you'd usually pick for a baby, but they just love the rhythm of it.

Bella2010star Tue 25-Jan-11 21:07:24

Anything by Julia Donaldson my daughter loves! the pictures are so great. Definately worth investing in and Waterstones are doing a buy one get one free on all picture books at the moment. I was in my element!

CharlotteBronteSaurus Tue 25-Jan-11 15:58:09

each peach pear plum
room on the broom
peepo
the gruffalo
very hungry caterpillar

i know the gruffalo and room on the broom are aimed at slightly older ones, but i have found quite young babies love the rhyme and repetition.

scarlet5tyger Tue 25-Jan-11 15:54:27

I'm a foster carer so have a large number of books for a variety of ages. My current placement has a teeny weeny attention span and hated sitting with me to look at any very young baby books (ie those with hardly any writing). I tried him on The Gruffalo because I love it and he sat and listened to the whole thing! (He's 4 months).

He also likes Fidgety Fish and Smiley Shark.

ensure Mon 17-Jan-11 15:40:05

Oh yes chocaholica! Peekaboo Park, Pets etc. were definitely the biggest hits here when DD was small.

Also we liked one called "Go to sleep little baby", that was nice for very young ones and the interest lasted for a while.

What about Apple Pear Orange Bear?

gaelicsheep Mon 17-Jan-11 00:54:16

Dear Zoo
Hungry Caterpillar
We had a touchy feely book with real photos of baby animals which was a big hit

Erm, struggling now for under one's. Nothing from the Bookstart/Bookbug stuff - they must have been on clearance.

dikkertjedap Mon 17-Jan-11 00:37:50

Poppy and Sam books with flaps and touchy feely poppy and sam books.

Other touchy feely books like Fairies, Bob the Builder, Miffy.

DD also loved the teletubby and In the nightgarden books.

When a little older then Thomas the Tank Engine.

stewmaker Sun 16-Jan-11 18:25:15

we've got 'that's not my......'
Monster
Truck
Snowman
Teddy
Monkey
Fairy
Digger (?)

ds likes to find the mouse/airplane/bird/rabbit in each of the pictures

He also likes 'my first words' type books, and anything with press buttons/flaps/noises - interactive board books

CupcakesHay Sun 16-Jan-11 15:26:54

Is the "thats not my...." like big monster? if so i didnt realise they had a series - ooooh - i'll have to hunt them down!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now