This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Car Insurance for Au Pair

(13 Posts)
Ref Mon 21-Sep-09 22:04:24

Hi. I have a german au pair who is 19 with a european driving licence and have just tried to add her to the insurance but they are asking a huge amount of money. Anyone found a cheaper company ?

pinkmagic1 Mon 21-Sep-09 22:07:15

Have you tried running it through one of them websites like money supermarket?

Ref Mon 21-Sep-09 22:23:25

Cheers will give it a go

nannynick Mon 21-Sep-09 23:04:38

The age is problem... teenagers are always going to be costly to insure on a vehicle. They present a higher insurance risk.

Another message thread on same/similar subject:
Yikes it will cost half the price of the car to insure our nanny

Definitely shop around. Use brokers to shop around for you, like Swinton. Also ask insurers about having a high excess on the policy - that may help lower the cost, though they may want a high policy price and a high excess!

Also calculate how many miles they are likely to drive, you may then be able to get a limited mileage policy.

DadInsteadofMum Wed 23-Sep-09 11:01:26

Also it seems to very widely from insurer to insurer as to whether they are part of the household and so covered by an SDP policy or an employee so need a business driving policy.

When I had to renew this year I had a mountain of problems (AP is Canadian and some just wouldn't insure her), had about half a dozen websites open at once - money supermarket, comparethemarket, confused, elephant and directline as well as being on the phone eventually found soemthing that was reasonable.

mumof2222222222222222boys Wed 23-Sep-09 15:03:35

We are 3rd party with a 10 year old 306, and were paying about £200. With the AP (French 20 years old) it has gone up to approx £600. It is painful, but driving is a major part of her job.

We just put her on our insurance, but would shop around every time.

Millarkie Wed 23-Sep-09 15:34:58

Ours is a named driver on my car - 20 yr old, and costs an additional £400. That's with Elephant (Admiral were similar, I think they are linked companies). Previously used Quinn but they were much more expensive this year.

NewTeacher Thu 24-Sep-09 15:28:50

hi there

i have insured with Virgin insurance last year and this year with LV direct. My AP is also from Germany and 19 years old. Our insurance went up by £400 by adding her on.

hth

DadInsteadofMum Thu 24-Sep-09 16:09:43

The strange thing is when we moved from a 22 year old French girl to a 20 year old Dutch girl the insurance went down for a younger driver, I can only assume the Dutch are regarded as safer drivers than the French.

ConstantlyCooking Fri 25-Sep-09 08:26:35

we used Zurich and it went up about 400 for a 19 year old. Interestingly it was her age not her nationality that was important - it would have been the same for a 19 year old British girl. We have just mentally added it on to the cost of an au apair!

camicaze Tue 28-Aug-12 19:17:51

Has anyone any up to date suggestions? Am looking at 1700 or more to insure our 22 yr old spanish au apair on our S MAx. Its seems to have gone up 600 from what we paid for a 20 year old last year and I can't seem to find cheaper!
Any help very gratefully received.

Newtothisstuff Tue 28-Aug-12 19:38:06

This is one of the reasons I'm looking for an older aupair, I don't even have my younger hubby on my car insurance because he over doubles it lol

I posted on this a while ago, and Admiral are great (21 yr old AP), Direct Line were rubbish! Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now