This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What do YOU wear to a nanny interview?

(18 Posts)
Supernanny19 Tue 17-Mar-09 12:11:56

Title may be misleading. I am not asking what I should wear. Just seeing what others wear I usally wear a dress or a skirt and blouse is this over the top? My friend said it looks like I was going for an office job my other nanny friends wear jeans to interviews but I just wouldnt feel comfortable..Thoughts?

PaulaMummyKnowsBest Tue 17-Mar-09 12:30:16

nice trousers and a long sleeved top usually.

Once I have the job, I wear jeans and vest tops generally

Ebb Tue 17-Mar-09 12:34:53

I tend to go for smart casual if that makes sense! Usually a pair of trousers and a top. I think if you go too smart then some parents find it hard to visualize you getting down on the floor or getting messy with the children.

Ultimately though I think it is important to feel comfortable and confident in what you're wearing as that obviously comes across in an interview.

And would never turn up for an interview with boobs on show and too much leg! Even if I had the figure for it.... grin

flowerybeanbag Tue 17-Mar-09 12:36:08

When I interviewed candidates one of the reasons I was put off one of them was because she wore jeans to the interview. I just couldn't understand that decision. Other candidates came in smartish trousers/skirt and a top or similar, which was absolutely fine. I always think for interviews dress one 'stage' smarter than you might for doing the job.

Supernanny19 Tue 17-Mar-09 12:40:33

Thanks everyone - great feedback.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 17-Mar-09 14:38:51

i have always worn black trousers and smart top

but for this job,as we met in local coffee shop, i wore jeans the first time (as did mum)

agree you dont want to look too smart, ie suit as parents can think you wont get down on the floor in it

jeans and fleeces in winter, skirts and strappy tops and dare i say boob tubes in summer (if out at farm, dont want strap marks!!!)

RachieB Tue 17-Mar-09 14:53:43

flowery, jeans can be "dressed up",and this is what i tend to wear for interviews ( nice ones not baggy faded one haha)

maybe with a smart top or tunic and boots,nice belt & accessories etc

of course jeans,tee and trainers would be a tad too casual I agree! lol

well I've interviewed loads of annies and nearly all wore black trousers and a top/ blouse. One wore jeans but they were smart navy jeans with a casual blazer and scarf.

the jeans didn't put me off

flowerybeanbag Tue 17-Mar-09 16:50:50

Yes I know jeans can be dressed up. I just think rather than 'dressing up' a pair of jeans, why not play safe and just put on a smarter pair of trousers? First impressions and all that.

This girl I'm referring to, there were lots of other things wrong with her so she would never have got the job anyway. Similarly if the nanny we did choose had come in jeans I would still have given her the job - I wouldn't base my decision on jeans alone obviously. It just seems strange when it's so easy not to wear jeans, to choose to do so imo.

nannynick Tue 17-Mar-09 19:08:15

I certainly don't put on my suit. Haven't worn that in years.

I tend to do smart casual - as I will usually end up on the floor with the children, so need something fairly comfortable. I wouldn't wear jeans, but would wear Chino trousers. Polo shirt and sweatshirt. Basically what I usually wear for work.

LouIsAHappyLittleVegemite Tue 17-Mar-09 20:14:57

For a normal family then:
Knee length denim skirt
ballet flats
shirt and cardi combo
Neat tidy and have the ability to get on the floor.

For pretentious rich superstar family then a suit.

fridayschild Tue 17-Mar-09 20:51:39

I've interviewed nanny candidates who've come straight from work; obviously they can't look terribly smart. Jeans have never bothered me, to be honest.

nannyL Tue 17-Mar-09 20:54:29

I got one of my best jobs working for a lovely family (on the rich list) when i turned up in jeans, and a jumper that had sneezed out baby broccolli puree on...

the only time we both had to meet was straight from my at yhe time current job so i went sraight from a 10 hour day with a baby and 2 year old

got the job straight away! grin

willowthewispa Tue 17-Mar-09 20:56:29

I have worn jeans - but jeans with a dress over the top and flat boots. I usually go for a fairly casual dress or skirt and top with a cardigan and boots though.

Millarkie Tue 17-Mar-09 21:10:03

I think all but one nanny that I have interviewed has worn jeans, not a problem in my book (our lovely ex-nanny was one of them). What has been a put-off is the wearing of high heels - had one interviewee who tried to sit on the floor with the kid but in skin-tight jeans and at least 3 inch heels she didn't look comfortable or ready to play/run around with the kids. Also had another interviewee who looked very smart in high heel boots and jeans, but we interviewed her with the kids at a children's farm (we were moving into a new area so had to interview before we had a local house) and she gave the impression that she was too concerned about her lovely boots/clothes to interact with the children.

Supernanny19 Mon 04-May-09 13:30:38

Funny how everyone has different opinons on jeans!

PixiNanny Mon 04-May-09 16:59:08

I'd wear jeans, but as someone else said, not my baggy's! I wear black skate trainers and smartish jeans with a nice top to my volunteer job in a school, my charge said to me last week "Pixi, you look really pretty like that, really pretty and smart!" (She's 8) which I thoguht was nice of her grin though she is used to seeing me wear jeans and big baggy jumpers most days!

Simplyme Mon 04-May-09 22:59:47

Black trousers and a nice top - once I have the job I always revert back to my jeans grin

Much better for nannying in and able to get dirty

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now