This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What is a reasonable salary?

(76 Posts)
baltimore97 Sun 18-Jan-09 11:52:55

What is a reasonable salary for a Norland nanny for a four day a week live-out job? It is her first job following completion of probabtion. She is asking for £100 a day net, but I believe this to be far too much. She seems willing to negotiate. I was thinking more £90-£100 a day gross.

Help!

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 20-Jan-09 19:48:38

400 - 550 as first job after probation-OMG

took me 15years to get to that salary!!!

guess they wont be working for the average family

AtheneNoctua Tue 20-Jan-09 20:45:21

They might not be working at all.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 20-Jan-09 20:50:52

rofl my little owl

you could be right

Meg14 Wed 04-Mar-09 18:40:54

Hi everyone,

I'm a Norlander (please don't boo or hiss, hehe!) and it's been really interesting to read your comments.

I'd say on £500 a week, the girl you interviewed would have to be really good at what she does! The big money should come with age and experience.

Norlanders aren't better or worse or even all that different to other nannies. I think people choose Norland because of the perceived level of confidence that comes with the brand name. For example, everyone knows that an iPod is pretty reliable and often go for that brand of MP3 player above a lesser known label. There are amazing MP3 players out there without the iPod brand, but they're sometimes harder to find. I can't believe I've just compared my training to MP3 players ...

There's also the training. The common misconception is that we are sticklers for ettiquette and all that jazz. Not so. We don't try to churn out mini-Einsteins etc. In fact, the amount of homework children are set really upsets me. We just try to provide as much fun, love and magic as we can. We love painting, craft, footy in the park, PritStiks, running around fields, bedtime stories and all sorts. And we love cooking really tasty grub in funky child friendly styles and portions! Lol.

And as for the uniform, I'd personally never feel comfortable wearing on the job. 1) It highlights the fact that the family can afford a nanny and so puts the child more at risk. 2) I don't want to be a trophy nanny.

In fact, a far cry from nannying for the rich and famous, loads of the Norlanders I know end up working for children in less affluent circumstances. Generally, the Norlanders I know trained at Norland because they have a vocation, want the best for all children of all backgrounds and want the best training they can find. Money is far less important. I've also found the training to be the most enjoyable 2 years of my life. Wouldn't change a second of it!

The important thing is this: all families are different and everyone has different needs. Go with what you feel comfortable with. You will find wonderful nannies in every salary bracket. Go with your instincts, with what feels right for you and your family.

Good luck and I truly hope you find a fabulous nanny!

Hugs,
M
x

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 04-Mar-09 18:47:28

hi meg

<boos> wink

when did you qualify as a norland ?

how much did you earn (if you dont mind me asking) when you came out and in 1st job?

and how much are you on now?

Meg14 Wed 04-Mar-09 19:49:07

Hi,

Thank you for my boo! Hehe!

I will finish my training in June, do a year's probation and then qualify fully in May 2011. So sadly still paying. One day I hope I'll reap what I sow. Years worth of pub shifts to cover the training alone ... meep!

Realistically though, we're told to expect to pocket between £200 and £250 a week for a probationary job in London.

Sorry, not all that helpful I'm afraid! I should have checked my message ... didn't realise I hadn't said I was still training!

M
x

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 04-Mar-09 20:32:09

200 to 250 that sounds more relistic ie 40 to 50 a day

the op nanny wanted 100 a day!!!

hope training goes well meg

leeloo1 Wed 04-Mar-09 23:23:42

Didn't anyone see the tv show about Norland Nannies on Sky? Can't remember what it was called, but it showed a year group of Norlanders and their training, placements in schools, them doing extra babysitting etc.

It did look like a thorough course - can't remember all of it as it was a couple of years ago... but they had to design and make a toy, learn how to bath and change a baby (making sure their hair was tied back?!?), learn Jolly Phonics signs etc.

They looked like fun, sweet people on the whole, but sooooo young... but maybe thats just a sign I'm getting old... hmm

Mumnnanny Wed 04-Mar-09 23:37:09

As a nanny myself I think you should be paying her £6 hr. If she is newly qualified then this is a good starting salary. If qualified for over 3 years you can negotiate pay depending on hrs and no.of children. But £10phr is way too much.

I think that pay is important and points to consider:

She does not live in your house.
Does she eat your food?
Does she drive her own car?
Do you pay for petrol too?

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 05-Mar-09 09:44:06

leeloo1 - i saw this, was quite entertaining

i did what they learnt on the NNEB - tho my stuffed toy looked a bit funny smile

yes they were young, but so was i when i started

Meg14 Fri 06-Mar-09 07:40:28

Thanks Blondeshavemore fun!

Hehe! Yeah the TV program was funny! They only showed the fun bits though. None of the hours and hours of not so exciting work on childcare legislation and health and safety ...

All necessary stuff, but the cooking is the best bit! Yum!

M
x

WideAwakeMum Sat 07-Mar-09 10:36:04

We have employed a Norlander - a lovely young woman who was very down to earth and great with our kids (no fish knives in our house!). Norland agency has relatively recently massively increased the quoted salaries, we did not pay our nanny anywhere near what they're now citing. In this economic climate I think the salaries quoted are completely barking!

centrallondonmother Thu 14-Mar-13 10:04:25

In Central London we were advised that £400-£800 (net) a week is normal for a live in nanny looking after three children (4,6 & 9) by various agencies. I suppose it depends on the qualifications you expect, how much vetting has been done etc. We pay £700p/w net and our nanny gets her own room and bathroom. She helps with homework saving on tutors (she is Oxbridge educated) and also played tennis to county level so is very active teaching the children to swim, play tennis etc. She also helps around the house with general chores and has an advanced driving licence though she is not a Norland nanny. She speaks four languages fluently and is teaching the children German and French.

Firstgold Thu 14-Mar-13 10:44:54

Centrallondonmother
This is a very old thread indeed - 2009. Are you really telling me agencies have said you need to pay a live in nanny £400-£800 NET a week!!!!????? I think they're having a laugh at your expense. £300- £450 net is more like it from all the nannies and agencies we've spoken to. And they're qualified nannies, doing 12 hours a day 5 days a week. Interested to know who told you otherwise??

Victoria2002 Thu 14-Mar-13 13:53:47

The training costs £30,000 (I heard on Radio 4 a couple of weeks ago) but it is at least now recognised as a degree or combined with a degree or something...My question would be not who pays a nanny that much fresh from college BUT what 18/19 year old daddy and mummy dearest pays so much for training when you can become qualified in less than a year while being paid to work at a nursery (I did my NVQ this way) and in a couple of years experience you can also work for the rich & famous or work 24/6 in Saudi Arabia and have no life for loads of money.
I think people choose a Norlander because they believe she will be from good stock, know which fork to use, speak the queens English etc

centrallondonmother Thu 14-Mar-13 20:21:37

Hi, I've only just joined as I was looking for information and this thread came up. Yes, I spoke to two well known agencies- Eden and Greycoat Lumleys before hiring our nanny. It seems to be pretty standard and our neighbours and friends seem to think so too. Childcare is unbelievably expensive in London. I should also add our nanny has to travel with us quite a bit too which reduced the number of candidates significantly as most nannies do not want to do this so you do seem to have to pay a premium. She works 10 hours a day six days a week.

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 14-Mar-13 20:37:06

If you have girls send them to St Georges- several of the nursery staff are Norland Nannies and absolutely fabulous! Not sure if that is because of their training or just that they are genuinely great with children. My daughter loves them. They are older ladies, strict but lots of common sense, motherly and really big on manners.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 14-Mar-13 20:38:39

800nett live in ???

Omfg. That is insane. More then a lot of live out nannies earn

Where do some agencies get their figures from?

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 14-Mar-13 20:40:53

Oh, and they are extremely into crafts and baking- lots of scones, shortbread, and we also recently had courgette bread! Also lots of out door activities- they talk about 'forest schools' and self sufficiency a lot.

Firstgold Fri 15-Mar-13 09:00:56

I hate to say it centrallondonmother but I think you've been stitched up. I'm with Blondes.
Net live in £300-£450 tops for 5 x 12 hour days.

We pay our truly excellent nanny (highly qualified, live-in, been with us 4 years, looks after 2 pre-school aged children) £390 net.

Granted you want 6 days a week which will DEFINITELY require a big pay rise, not least because your nanny only gets a day off a week.

centrallondonmother Fri 15-Mar-13 10:13:54

Thank you for your comments and opinions good to know how little other nannies can earn for the future but I think we're comparing two very different kettles of fish. Still, bearing in mind I have no tutor fees for tennis, entrance exams, languages etc I also save a few hundred pounds a week and the children prefer it being one person as well. I am assuming when you're quoting £450 top whack your nanny does the same and has similar qualifications? Thanks.

Firstgold Fri 15-Mar-13 10:47:56

Centrallondon - not sure what to make of your comment 'how little other nannies can earn'? I'd say a gross salary of £26,000 p.a. for a job where all meals and accomodation is provided is not a low salary?!

Our nanny is highly qualified so yes - does the same and more given the age of our children. But the big difference is she gets weekends off. I'm not sure many nannies would want to work 6 days a week for long.

Do take what the agencies say with a pinch of salt - they are hugely conflicted (you pay their fees which are based on a percentage of salary often and they want to keep the nannies on their books on side and get them the highest wage possible).

Firstgold Fri 15-Mar-13 10:48:22

PS I've heard from numerous nannies and agencies alike that it is an employer's market at the moment.

nannynick Fri 15-Mar-13 12:34:57

A nanny who is an LTA registered tennis coach could well be paid more. If they also had Qualified Teacher Status then parents may pay more for that.
Can not compare apples and pears. However many nannies have additional skills and qualifications so maybe you could say a nanny with just childcare training/experience should get less pay.

I can play tennis, does not make me an LTACoach though, so if a high standard of tennis tutoring is required that could well add a premium to the salary.

wickedwitchofwaterloo Fri 15-Mar-13 13:36:33

It's horses for courses really. There isn't an amount in the world I'd accept to work 10 hours a day for 6 days a week, EVERY WEEK, so good on you both for finding an amount that suits the both of you within the situation.
Also, if you would have paid x amount for language and tennis classes and tutoring, then I reckon you've possibly saved in the long run actually.
If it works for you and you are happy with it, fair play.

While I'd love to earn £700 a week after tax, I wouldn't commit to working every Saturday... I can't play tennis either wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now