This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What is a reasonable salary?

(76 Posts)
baltimore97 Sun 18-Jan-09 11:52:55

What is a reasonable salary for a Norland nanny for a four day a week live-out job? It is her first job following completion of probabtion. She is asking for £100 a day net, but I believe this to be far too much. She seems willing to negotiate. I was thinking more £90-£100 a day gross.

Help!

baltimore97 Sun 18-Jan-09 12:18:13

I should add we are in Edinburgh

how long is the day?

nannynick Sun 18-Jan-09 12:36:33

Think you need to look at local nanny job advertisements. In Scotland many nannies go via agencies - as that way parents can benefit from using childcare vouchers. In Scotland it is the agency that is registered, not the nanny.

A&H Childcare - Vacancies List is just one agency dealing with nannies in Scotland (a full list can be found at Care Commission Website - search Type of Service: Child Care Agency. A&H are listing a job in Edinburgh EH9 which is paying upto £378 gross per week (the hours are a varied - but around 40 hours a week) - so around the £9.50 per hour gross mark. Thus your £100 per day Gross seems about right (if a 10 hour working day). However, Norland nannies do tend to command a higher pay - I would expect that the Norland agency would be useful to contact with regard to what they expect their nannies to earn. Their website says £450-£550 net per week for a daily Qualified Norland nanny.

AtheneNoctua Sun 18-Jan-09 12:46:40

Why would you pay more for Norland nanny? Is it a label thing -- like paying extra for Ralph Lauren jeans? Perosnaly, I be a tad suspicious of the attitude that acompanies the brand.

And I wouldn't pay £10/hours (even gross) to someone who was straight out of probation. I'd look to pinch some disgruntled and underpaid staff from the local nursery.

AtheneNoctua Sun 18-Jan-09 12:46:43

Why would you pay more for Norland nanny? Is it a label thing -- like paying extra for Ralph Lauren jeans? Perosnaly, I be a tad suspicious of the attitude that acompanies the brand.

And I wouldn't pay £10/hours (even gross) to someone who was straight out of probation. I'd look to pinch some disgruntled and underpaid staff from the local nursery.

AtheneNoctua Sun 18-Jan-09 12:47:37

I hate when that happens. blush

baltimore97 Sun 18-Jan-09 12:53:17

Thanks NannyNick - that is very helpful information. Athene - I'm not interested in paying for a label, I simply interviewed her because she is well qualified. I am interviewing other non-Norlanders and will willingly employ them if they are better!

nannynick Sun 18-Jan-09 13:10:47

It's an employers market I feel at the moment - more candidates than jobs. Thus you can find good candidates prepared to take lower salary than they would usually (thus why the Norlander is prepared to negotiate).
You need to determine your upper limit with regard to how much you can afford to pay (including all taxes and estimated misc expenses - nanny kitty, fuel allowance, payroll, to name a few.
Once you know that figure, you then aim to get the best candidate for below that figure. You may feel the Norland training is worth paying extra for, or you may not. You may feel the candidate is great qualifications wise, but isn't great personality wise - won't fit well in the family. Finding the right balance is hard... so interview a variety of candidates around the amount you want to offer salary wise and then compare them.

baltimore97 Sun 18-Jan-09 14:34:49

Thanks again Nannynick - that is invaluable advice. I have a couple of other well-qualified people to talk to tomorrow, and we've worked out all the costs (DH is an economist!) to the last penny. If these don't work out I think I'll get in touch with the agencies.

What she's asking for works out at around £39K per year, if the Nanny Tax calculator is correct. Not bad, for a first job out of training, I'd say.

(Ridiculous, I'd also say, under my breath.)

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 19-Jan-09 13:15:32

assume she is about 20 if striaght out from probabtion

i personally think £100nett a day for her age and lack of exp is rediculas - whether norland or not

baltimore97 Mon 19-Jan-09 14:22:14

With 24hrs reflection, I think her demand was cheeky enough to put her out of contention. DH did the same calculation as you, Harriet, and we were flabbergasted to see that she was expecting to earn more than I do - and I'm 36 with a BA and a PhD! Mind you, I am a poorly paid University Lecturer....!

AtheneNoctua Mon 19-Jan-09 15:44:54

Glad we could help you save some money. grin

So, who is the next candidate?

Well, in fairness, she is probably being advised to quote in net and I suspect she has been told she can achieve this salary. In some cases there will be evidence a Norlander can get it, in which case, go for it and why not. But the risk to her is that she will be looking for work for a long long time in this economic environment. Oh well, not your problem.

And the trouble is, while it may sound like a modest hourly wage to the nanny and feel like it as well, when you work out all the add ons (and I assume that you're not even talking about pension contributions and health care) it is flabergastingly high for a private family employer!! 'Tis the conundrum...

It makes you realise what most people are paid net...for jobs they spend years training for etc...when they work out the number of hours they do each week.

Sorry, I meant modest wage in HOURLY terms. A tenner an hour doesn't sound cheeky really. This is why I think salaries should be quoted in gross yearly wages--which would make it easier to compare how what a nanny is asking for stacks up relative to other jobs.

nannynick Mon 19-Jan-09 17:16:07

My last two nanny jobs were quoted as gross annual salary, so things are changing, at least in my area.

AtheneNoctua Mon 19-Jan-09 17:28:13

Hey, Nick, do you wear one of thos cute little Norland uniforms. I think I wore when I belonged to Brownies in the states in the 70s.

nannynick Mon 19-Jan-09 18:35:18

Of course I don't. A dress would not be very practical for me.

Tiramissu Mon 19-Jan-09 18:43:24

It is not a lot of money for a Norland Nanny. But it is i guess a lot for an ordinary family to pay. They usually work for...erm very wealthy families.

I dont know why you insist on interviewing Norland Nannies when you probably can't afford them....

Actually i think the current climate doesn't affect them. A friend of mine works for a family that are Lords or something, they are not going to be skint. I think other Nannies, not the Norland, who work for City Bankers etc are the ones in trouble this year.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 19-Jan-09 19:21:10

earning £39k striaght out from college seeems a bit extreme/over the top to me

where if i work fulltime I earn around £35 - at £100nett a day - but i have 17years sole charge experience

maybe norland tell their students they can earn that much

nannyj Mon 19-Jan-09 20:22:51

The thing is about being a nanny is that it's not all about knowing how to look after children etc. It's how you as an employee mesh with a family and deal with the problems that can arise from having a very close working relationship with the parents and understanding that parents will have different ideas from you and learning to cope in that situation. Thats why new nannies shouldn't earn as much as nannies with experience whatever college they went to. You can only learn these things after having a number of jobs with different families over a nuber of years.

baltimore97 Mon 19-Jan-09 20:31:48

Tiramissu - I'm new on the nanny-appointing scene and I had not realized that Norlanders were set that far apart from the "rabble." The other reason why the Norlander won't get another look is indeed because I realized that we are not quite the class of person she is used to working for.

Indeed, I had never considered a nanny for us before as I thought I wasn't posh enough, but then realized that one probably wouldn't cost any more than sending two kids to a decent nursery.

The two candidates I saw today were much more suitable - down-to-earth with bags of experience which I now realize to be more important.

blueshoes Mon 19-Jan-09 20:45:56

What is special about a Norland training that makes people prepared to fork out more?

Tiramissu Mon 19-Jan-09 20:47:05

I agree baltimore.

Also Norland nannies i think can be too obsessed with formality and a very strict way of child caring, not sure it would suit an ordinary family. i know it wouldnt suit me .
good luck with the interviews

blueshoes Mon 19-Jan-09 20:56:40

Strict? Do Norland nannies put babies in silver cross prams to nap/cry at the end of gardens for fresh air?

AtheneNoctua Tue 20-Jan-09 06:28:05

I haven't seen a single post that explains what value a Norland nanny delivers that another nanny does not.

Why would an employer pay more for a Norland nanny (apart from the label)?

Nice post, nannyj. I completely agree.

Tiramissu Tue 20-Jan-09 12:08:15

Athene,
from what i know and i might be wrong, Norland Nannies are very big on etiquete, manners, piano etc...

Instead of spend 30 min with a toddler doing finger painting or cuddling or messing around, they might spent 30 min 'teaching' a 2 year old how to use the right cutlery-and i mean all the cutlery, which one is the fish knife etc grin

Most of us will laugh at it of course, but there are families whith this lifestyle and priorities.

frannikin Tue 20-Jan-09 12:31:32

*isn't a Norlander and has been made to do the above re: cutlery...but not with a fish knife*

It was actually a very frustrating experience but the parents were absolutely insistent.

IMO Norland is just a particular, very old-school, method of training with a big focus on British culture. The college knows what its client base is and trains its nannies accordingly, which is very sensible of them. Yes the average Norlander just out of probation might be earning £500pw net but whoop-di-doo so was I working overseas! I think their 'average' (by which I mean the mean wage) is affected by the silly sums of money any nanny willing to not have a life and work in strange places could earn. They do come with a lot of "extras" but you could find other non-Norland nannies with the same childcare style and skills, just acquired in different ways.

I'm yet to find something a Norlander can do that anyone else who wanted to couldn't.

BoffinMum Tue 20-Jan-09 12:40:51

It's bizarre someone of 19 or 20 could be so naive as to think they were worth £39k in the middle of a recession. Totally dislocated from reality. I think there are a lot of young nannies who are about to have a bit of a wake up call in the months to come.

Tiramissu Tue 20-Jan-09 12:55:09

They are not naive BoffinMum.

They work for very elite families. Celebrities or Lords are not going to starve during the recession.

And there are not too many Norland Nannies out there because the training is very expensive. (it used to be around 20K, i dont know now)

AtheneNoctua Tue 20-Jan-09 13:53:53

Ok, if I was a Lord (or Lady), why would I spend more for Norland nanny? Let's just assume (ok dream) I've got a mountain of money and I'm deciding who best to look after my children (whilst I ear another mountain). What does a Norland nanny offer me that that another nanny does not?

AtheneNoctua Tue 20-Jan-09 13:57:51

There seems to be a few posts on this thread describing Norland nannies as those who work for the elite. This seems to me to imply that all the other nannies work for the less elite. And I would like to challenge this perception. I suspect (thought I don't actually know) that there are lots of elite people who want a nanny with a bit less.... well... attitude. Someone who knows how to play footie (and dresses like it). Someone who chops carrots rather than making hot cross buns. Etc.

baltimore97 Tue 20-Jan-09 14:02:09

I asked the Norlander herself that very question! Her answer was that she had done a course in just about every aspect of childcare, and had done placements in every possible childcare setting.

So I guess she is excellently prepared to look after children and very aware of the needs of all ages.

But my current childminder has exactly the same knowledge - only she gained it through years of experience working with children.

AtheneNoctua Tue 20-Jan-09 14:05:39

"Every possible childcare setting". erm... that seems to emcompass so many different possibilties that I'm incline to doubt it is even possible... unless the course is 15 years long.

BoffinMum Tue 20-Jan-09 14:09:35

It took me about eight years of training to get around every possible childcare setting in any depth ... obviously if you're only doing a day in each, that would help.

BoffinMum Tue 20-Jan-09 14:11:07

Also you have to question what the need is to experience all these settings for a fairly routine residential job, which is only taking place in one setting. After all, a teacher doesn't do placements in children's own homes in order to be a teacher.

tankie Tue 20-Jan-09 14:13:52

I expect the Norland course is a lot more rigourous than your average NVQ - includes things like baking, repairing teddies, and lots of other "traditional nanny skills". The average candidate is going to be a lot more focussed if they're paying 20k on their training too - no girls at Norland who didn't know what they wanted to do when they left school and decided going to college to do childcare would be an easy option.

... but then the same could be said about a nanny who is studying an NVQ3 in Child Care off her own back, in her own "free" time and goes to college on a Saturday all whilst holding down a full time job non?

*yes, I do mean me LOL.. apart from the full time job bit, but I have had and will have a full time job whilst still doing the NVQ, if that doesn't show commitment I don't know what does! plus I have 8 years of experience and do not ask for £8 ph net - and I'm in London!!

I'm done now grin

BoffinMum Tue 20-Jan-09 14:45:10

Funnily enough some of my better APs have been German trained nursery nurses and they do a three year apprenticeship with a lot more placements than a Norland. They are also very good at the old domestic routine, including baking and repairing teddies, and can deal with simple children's sicknesses. Admittedly you don't get continuity of care, but as I say, the training is probably a bit more thorough.

AtheneNoctua Tue 20-Jan-09 15:01:11

Oh, and anyone who needs to take a course to learn how to mend a teddybear is too think to avoid being manipulated by my 5 year old -- who's manipulation skills are getting better and better every day. wink

AtheneNoctua Tue 20-Jan-09 15:01:41

think=thick

BoffinMum Tue 20-Jan-09 15:13:19

It's not really mending teddy bears, it's craft they do, like knitting and making special things for the kids, and baking little buns with pictures on, that kind of thing. I think it's quite nice to keep the old traditions going actually. I learned all this as a young teenager at school, personally, so don't place the highest value on it as a professional activity.

So it needs to be kept in perspective - at the end of the day people don't want to pay £39k for stuffed toys or buns, they want to pay £39k either to show off to their friends, to care for multiple birth babies, or to get some sort of highly skilled sole charge overnight care for their kids on a continuing basis while they are physically absent from the home for social or professional reasons.

Other people want to pay less and get something suited to a dual career lifestyle where they come home in the evenings.

It's horses for courses, and nannies need to be responsive to the market. If someone is applying for a non-celeb non-Royal job, it's a bit daft to ask for top dollar, in other words.

Had a nosey on the website, found it rather amusing they feel the need to point this out -

"Applicants should be aware that working with children is physically demanding and a reasonable level of fitness is therefore required - a BMI of under 35 is reccomended"

AtheneNoctua Tue 20-Jan-09 15:59:04

I saw that too, www. smile

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 20-Jan-09 17:57:39

so no porky norland nannies about then grin

i also learnt how to sew a cuddly toy and design and make a childs article of clothing as part of my NNEB course

have to say in 17years of nannying NEVER needed these skills, though did help no 1 make a cuddly teddy after christmas, but shape was cut out and material had holes punched in it - wejust sewed round edge and stuffed!!!

yup blondes, if you're 20, a porker and are entertaining thoughts of being a nanny -
NORLAND SAYS NO!!! grin

My mum told me the Norland lot were doing a placement in the hospital I was born in and I was used in a demonstration on how to bathe a newborn - I was picked due to my calm nature and happiness to be bathed several times LOL grin

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 20-Jan-09 18:10:03

rofl www

computer says no!!

cough LOL

put the chelsea bun down and step away from the baby!!

AngelNanny Tue 20-Jan-09 19:37:27

I found this on google search of what is the expected Norland nanny wage, hope it helps.

Weekly salary guide (net)

Probationer (first job)
Full time daily or residential
UK only
Daily £260-£400 pw
Residential £210-£260 pw

Qualified Norland Nanny
Residential
UK
£300-£550+ pw

Qualified Norland Nanny
Daily
UK
£400-£550+pw

Qualified Norland Nanny
Daily or residential
Overseas
Daily £550-£800+ pw
Residential £450-£650+ pw

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 20-Jan-09 19:48:38

400 - 550 as first job after probation-OMG

took me 15years to get to that salary!!!

guess they wont be working for the average family

AtheneNoctua Tue 20-Jan-09 20:45:21

They might not be working at all.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 20-Jan-09 20:50:52

rofl my little owl

you could be right

Meg14 Wed 04-Mar-09 18:40:54

Hi everyone,

I'm a Norlander (please don't boo or hiss, hehe!) and it's been really interesting to read your comments.

I'd say on £500 a week, the girl you interviewed would have to be really good at what she does! The big money should come with age and experience.

Norlanders aren't better or worse or even all that different to other nannies. I think people choose Norland because of the perceived level of confidence that comes with the brand name. For example, everyone knows that an iPod is pretty reliable and often go for that brand of MP3 player above a lesser known label. There are amazing MP3 players out there without the iPod brand, but they're sometimes harder to find. I can't believe I've just compared my training to MP3 players ...

There's also the training. The common misconception is that we are sticklers for ettiquette and all that jazz. Not so. We don't try to churn out mini-Einsteins etc. In fact, the amount of homework children are set really upsets me. We just try to provide as much fun, love and magic as we can. We love painting, craft, footy in the park, PritStiks, running around fields, bedtime stories and all sorts. And we love cooking really tasty grub in funky child friendly styles and portions! Lol.

And as for the uniform, I'd personally never feel comfortable wearing on the job. 1) It highlights the fact that the family can afford a nanny and so puts the child more at risk. 2) I don't want to be a trophy nanny.

In fact, a far cry from nannying for the rich and famous, loads of the Norlanders I know end up working for children in less affluent circumstances. Generally, the Norlanders I know trained at Norland because they have a vocation, want the best for all children of all backgrounds and want the best training they can find. Money is far less important. I've also found the training to be the most enjoyable 2 years of my life. Wouldn't change a second of it!

The important thing is this: all families are different and everyone has different needs. Go with what you feel comfortable with. You will find wonderful nannies in every salary bracket. Go with your instincts, with what feels right for you and your family.

Good luck and I truly hope you find a fabulous nanny!

Hugs,
M
x

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 04-Mar-09 18:47:28

hi meg

<boos> wink

when did you qualify as a norland ?

how much did you earn (if you dont mind me asking) when you came out and in 1st job?

and how much are you on now?

Meg14 Wed 04-Mar-09 19:49:07

Hi,

Thank you for my boo! Hehe!

I will finish my training in June, do a year's probation and then qualify fully in May 2011. So sadly still paying. One day I hope I'll reap what I sow. Years worth of pub shifts to cover the training alone ... meep!

Realistically though, we're told to expect to pocket between £200 and £250 a week for a probationary job in London.

Sorry, not all that helpful I'm afraid! I should have checked my message ... didn't realise I hadn't said I was still training!

M
x

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 04-Mar-09 20:32:09

200 to 250 that sounds more relistic ie 40 to 50 a day

the op nanny wanted 100 a day!!!

hope training goes well meg

leeloo1 Wed 04-Mar-09 23:23:42

Didn't anyone see the tv show about Norland Nannies on Sky? Can't remember what it was called, but it showed a year group of Norlanders and their training, placements in schools, them doing extra babysitting etc.

It did look like a thorough course - can't remember all of it as it was a couple of years ago... but they had to design and make a toy, learn how to bath and change a baby (making sure their hair was tied back?!?), learn Jolly Phonics signs etc.

They looked like fun, sweet people on the whole, but sooooo young... but maybe thats just a sign I'm getting old... hmm

Mumnnanny Wed 04-Mar-09 23:37:09

As a nanny myself I think you should be paying her £6 hr. If she is newly qualified then this is a good starting salary. If qualified for over 3 years you can negotiate pay depending on hrs and no.of children. But £10phr is way too much.

I think that pay is important and points to consider:

She does not live in your house.
Does she eat your food?
Does she drive her own car?
Do you pay for petrol too?

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 05-Mar-09 09:44:06

leeloo1 - i saw this, was quite entertaining

i did what they learnt on the NNEB - tho my stuffed toy looked a bit funny smile

yes they were young, but so was i when i started

Meg14 Fri 06-Mar-09 07:40:28

Thanks Blondeshavemore fun!

Hehe! Yeah the TV program was funny! They only showed the fun bits though. None of the hours and hours of not so exciting work on childcare legislation and health and safety ...

All necessary stuff, but the cooking is the best bit! Yum!

M
x

WideAwakeMum Sat 07-Mar-09 10:36:04

We have employed a Norlander - a lovely young woman who was very down to earth and great with our kids (no fish knives in our house!). Norland agency has relatively recently massively increased the quoted salaries, we did not pay our nanny anywhere near what they're now citing. In this economic climate I think the salaries quoted are completely barking!

centrallondonmother Thu 14-Mar-13 10:04:25

In Central London we were advised that £400-£800 (net) a week is normal for a live in nanny looking after three children (4,6 & 9) by various agencies. I suppose it depends on the qualifications you expect, how much vetting has been done etc. We pay £700p/w net and our nanny gets her own room and bathroom. She helps with homework saving on tutors (she is Oxbridge educated) and also played tennis to county level so is very active teaching the children to swim, play tennis etc. She also helps around the house with general chores and has an advanced driving licence though she is not a Norland nanny. She speaks four languages fluently and is teaching the children German and French.

Firstgold Thu 14-Mar-13 10:44:54

Centrallondonmother
This is a very old thread indeed - 2009. Are you really telling me agencies have said you need to pay a live in nanny £400-£800 NET a week!!!!????? I think they're having a laugh at your expense. £300- £450 net is more like it from all the nannies and agencies we've spoken to. And they're qualified nannies, doing 12 hours a day 5 days a week. Interested to know who told you otherwise??

Victoria2002 Thu 14-Mar-13 13:53:47

The training costs £30,000 (I heard on Radio 4 a couple of weeks ago) but it is at least now recognised as a degree or combined with a degree or something...My question would be not who pays a nanny that much fresh from college BUT what 18/19 year old daddy and mummy dearest pays so much for training when you can become qualified in less than a year while being paid to work at a nursery (I did my NVQ this way) and in a couple of years experience you can also work for the rich & famous or work 24/6 in Saudi Arabia and have no life for loads of money.
I think people choose a Norlander because they believe she will be from good stock, know which fork to use, speak the queens English etc

centrallondonmother Thu 14-Mar-13 20:21:37

Hi, I've only just joined as I was looking for information and this thread came up. Yes, I spoke to two well known agencies- Eden and Greycoat Lumleys before hiring our nanny. It seems to be pretty standard and our neighbours and friends seem to think so too. Childcare is unbelievably expensive in London. I should also add our nanny has to travel with us quite a bit too which reduced the number of candidates significantly as most nannies do not want to do this so you do seem to have to pay a premium. She works 10 hours a day six days a week.

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 14-Mar-13 20:37:06

If you have girls send them to St Georges- several of the nursery staff are Norland Nannies and absolutely fabulous! Not sure if that is because of their training or just that they are genuinely great with children. My daughter loves them. They are older ladies, strict but lots of common sense, motherly and really big on manners.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 14-Mar-13 20:38:39

800nett live in ???

Omfg. That is insane. More then a lot of live out nannies earn

Where do some agencies get their figures from?

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 14-Mar-13 20:40:53

Oh, and they are extremely into crafts and baking- lots of scones, shortbread, and we also recently had courgette bread! Also lots of out door activities- they talk about 'forest schools' and self sufficiency a lot.

Firstgold Fri 15-Mar-13 09:00:56

I hate to say it centrallondonmother but I think you've been stitched up. I'm with Blondes.
Net live in £300-£450 tops for 5 x 12 hour days.

We pay our truly excellent nanny (highly qualified, live-in, been with us 4 years, looks after 2 pre-school aged children) £390 net.

Granted you want 6 days a week which will DEFINITELY require a big pay rise, not least because your nanny only gets a day off a week.

centrallondonmother Fri 15-Mar-13 10:13:54

Thank you for your comments and opinions good to know how little other nannies can earn for the future but I think we're comparing two very different kettles of fish. Still, bearing in mind I have no tutor fees for tennis, entrance exams, languages etc I also save a few hundred pounds a week and the children prefer it being one person as well. I am assuming when you're quoting £450 top whack your nanny does the same and has similar qualifications? Thanks.

Firstgold Fri 15-Mar-13 10:47:56

Centrallondon - not sure what to make of your comment 'how little other nannies can earn'? I'd say a gross salary of £26,000 p.a. for a job where all meals and accomodation is provided is not a low salary?!

Our nanny is highly qualified so yes - does the same and more given the age of our children. But the big difference is she gets weekends off. I'm not sure many nannies would want to work 6 days a week for long.

Do take what the agencies say with a pinch of salt - they are hugely conflicted (you pay their fees which are based on a percentage of salary often and they want to keep the nannies on their books on side and get them the highest wage possible).

Firstgold Fri 15-Mar-13 10:48:22

PS I've heard from numerous nannies and agencies alike that it is an employer's market at the moment.

nannynick Fri 15-Mar-13 12:34:57

A nanny who is an LTA registered tennis coach could well be paid more. If they also had Qualified Teacher Status then parents may pay more for that.
Can not compare apples and pears. However many nannies have additional skills and qualifications so maybe you could say a nanny with just childcare training/experience should get less pay.

I can play tennis, does not make me an LTACoach though, so if a high standard of tennis tutoring is required that could well add a premium to the salary.

wickedwitchofwaterloo Fri 15-Mar-13 13:36:33

It's horses for courses really. There isn't an amount in the world I'd accept to work 10 hours a day for 6 days a week, EVERY WEEK, so good on you both for finding an amount that suits the both of you within the situation.
Also, if you would have paid x amount for language and tennis classes and tutoring, then I reckon you've possibly saved in the long run actually.
If it works for you and you are happy with it, fair play.

While I'd love to earn £700 a week after tax, I wouldn't commit to working every Saturday... I can't play tennis either wink

fraktion Fri 15-Mar-13 14:31:12

I earned around what centrallondonmother is paying (degree educated, fluent French, teaching quals, 3 musical instruments to grade 8, ex county gymnast) 5 years ago working 24/5. As soon as you go over the standard 60 hours the salary shoots up. If you have a degree you can earn more. If you have additional skills you can earn more. This 'elite nanny' thing isn't new and there are always people willing to pay something for the profile which is pretty damn similar to their own if not better in terms of child rearing so they can go out and shop earn megabucks.

Most L3 qualified nannies with under 10 years exp can expect in the 400-600 gross range. Eden and Greycoat just happen to be at the top end of the market, as are their placement fees.

Btw Norlanders now have a degree so one would assume that the salary has been ramped up a bit again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now