This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Socket covers? Found an interesting site about how they are more dangerous than not using them?

(19 Posts)
chloemegjess Fri 05-Dec-08 23:52:19

See here for this website about socket covers. I have been using them but after seeing this I might get rid of them.

They get on my nerves anyway and I always forget to put them back. But not sure I have the guts when it comes to Ofsted?

Watch the video on the link and see what you think.

Twiglett Fri 05-Dec-08 23:59:11

it's flawed though

an adult ensures all the socket covers are on. A child is not supposed to be allowed to insert one incorrectly and so cause a potential problem as the socket should already be covered.

they are safe because they are so difficult to get off

NCRedBreastedBirdy Sat 06-Dec-08 00:03:09

I would be dubious abou ta nursery/childminder that leaves paper clips around for youg children to get though.

I would be dubious about a nursery?cm who left children long enough to take out a socket cover, reinsert it incorrectly, locate dangerous item and insert it.

I would be dubious about a nursery/cm who left knifes and scissors around...

TBH, It sounds like a report based on a bet "I bet you can't write something to make people think that something designed to be safe is actually unsafe" <<very very dubious about report emoticon>>

skrimbo Sat 06-Dec-08 00:28:58

hmm The report is flawed, it is looking at how a loose cover can be inserted to make a socket unsafe.

Yes inserted wrongly it opens the other two holes, but then inserting any other object does this.

I think paper clips and other similar objects can be dangerous in many ways. I think the chance of a child combining this with a loose or badly fitted cover.

Lubyloo Sat 06-Dec-08 01:09:29

Interesting viewing. The previous posters are talking about the socket cover being inserted incorrectly. However, one of the points it makes is that even when inserted correctly the Ikea and Mothercare ones leave a gap where the child could insert an object.

chloemegjess Sat 06-Dec-08 01:25:10

But that is the whole point though, it is saying you don't need socket covers. They already have safety whatever fitted inside so it is an extremly unlikly a child would be able to hurt themselves through it, and as you say, if the CM or whoever was responsiable then it shouldn't happen anyway.

But the point I think it is trying to make is that if there is a higher risk of it happening with socket covers - why bother? Even if they are not dangerous as such, if it is safer without them then why would you want to put them on?

goldFAQinsenceandmyrrh Sat 06-Dec-08 01:29:25

hmm - that website was registered by a bloke, no company (of course) in August this year.

goldFAQinsenceandmyrrh Sat 06-Dec-08 01:34:03

oh and I've discovered that the website was started courtesy of a thread on the IET (The Institution of Engineering and Technology) forums here

so hardly a major study done there

leonifay Sat 06-Dec-08 12:36:17

if you leave the socket covers off, the kids can insert other items in to the top hole opening the other 2 holes. i have ikea socket covers which are impossible to take off with out the 'key'. personally i think its a lot safer to use safety sockets and that website seems to be scare mongering. i really dont think ofsted will see that point of view either. they insist on you using them.

KatyMac Sat 06-Dec-08 12:57:43

look here

goldFAQinsenceandmyrrh Sat 06-Dec-08 13:01:22

So basically Rospa while they don't think them necessary also don't think they dangerous.

It would be interesting to know when the "modern" sockets came into being. I mean how many homes actualy have them as standard, and how many home will still be fitted with the older ones without the mechanism??

KatyMac Sat 06-Dec-08 13:05:18

1948 apparently

southeastastra Sat 06-Dec-08 13:24:15

hmm quite interesting

goldFAQinsenceandmyrrh Sat 06-Dec-08 13:26:16

it is interesting, but tbh I wouldn't take the website set up by two people that happen to have IET after their names as anything concrete to go on, not without proper further evdience.

FantasticMissFox Sat 06-Dec-08 14:03:07

Whats OFSTED's opion of socket covers. Does anyone know? Do Nurseries/cms have to have them?

nannynick Sat 06-Dec-08 18:42:25

Doing a quick Google of Ofsted Reports... reveals the following comments from Childcare Inspectors:

To further improve the early years provision the registered person should:
"ensure all electrical sockets are made inaccessible to children."

"The provision is good. Children's safety is given priority by the childminder. They can safely explore their surroundings. The indoor premises and garden are secure. Strategically placed equipment, such as safety gates and electrical socket covers, plus secure storage of hazardous materials help to minimise risks."

"The childminder has several items of safety equipment in place, such as a fire guard, electrical socket covers and stair gates to minimise potential hazards to children."

"Children are kept appropriately safe in the setting because the
childminder maintains suitable safety precautions such as stair gates and electric
socket covers."

You can find many more by doing the following Google Search

So it does look as though Childcare Inspectors will note if a Childminder has socket covers.

ThingOne Wed 10-Dec-08 09:39:13

I'm sure I have some pre-1948 sockets in my house!

CarolinesDad Thu 11-Dec-08 22:29:02

If you check the References page on the website you will see more information on the history of shuttered sockets and a some European proposals on socket covers which no plug-in socket cover in the UK could meet! It also has some technical stuff on why covers are sometimes very easy to remove (this is also demonstrated in the video)

Ofsted have told FatallyFlawed that "We do not either encourage or discourage the use of socket covers; it is up to each individual registered provider to demonstrate to us that the environment is safe for children." It is hard to square this policy with the Ofsted reports which criticise nurseries for lack of socket covers, it appears that inspectors do not understand Ofsted policy! The Care Commission in Scotland have taken a more proactive approach and told inspectors that they must NOT ask for socket covers.

FatallyFlawed Tue 05-Jul-16 14:48:35

Please see this new alert from the NHS requiring all NHS Trusts to withdraw socket covers from use:
www.cas.dh.gov.uk/ViewAndAcknowledgment/viewAlert.aspx?AlertID=102494

It says: "This Alert is issued to highlight how, in certain circumstances, the use of plastic 13A (13 amp) electrical socket inserts (sold as safety accessories) can overcome the safety features designed into socket outlets.13A electrical socket inserts should not be used in health or social care premises, nor supplied for use in a home or residence. Any socket inserts currently in use should be withdrawn from use and responsibly disposed of."

This follows on from recent warnings by Barnardos:
www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/Barnardo.pdf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now