Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Childminders risk assessments for outings - EYFS

(16 Posts)
Scarfmaker Mon 04-Aug-08 20:42:33

Hello everybody - I've just received some information from Ofsted about them adding my name to the new childcare registers etc. and a booklet explaining what has to be in
place from September.

I think I've prepared (not) but there is one specific thing where it says you have to have done a risk assessment for each specific outing. Does this mean just going to the school run, toddler group, park, everyday things or if you are going further afield?

I don't think I'd be able to do one every time I leave the front door!

I was thinking of phoning Ofsted - what do you think?

busymum1 Mon 04-Aug-08 20:48:39

mine includes appropriate child restraints for going in pushchairs etc reins for toddlers car seats correctly fitted and harnesses working if appropriate would be done daily first aid kit carried, also if arriving at park etc quick scoot round for dog mess etc hope this helps

busymum1 Mon 04-Aug-08 20:53:04

oops forgot also includes parent contact details and any medication available

Scarfmaker Tue 05-Aug-08 14:37:13

busymum1 - thanks for that - I haven't actually done any risk assessments yet and won't be until September but do we have to have something on paper everytime we leave the front door?

It says in the booklet:

ALL providers must keep the following written records:

It then goes on to list records of names, addresses, attendance registers, etc. (obvious ones) but then at the end says:

"A record of risk assessment, clearly stating when it was carried out, by whom, date of review and any action taken following a review or incident. A risk assessment must be carried out for each specific outing with the children".

It seems ridiculous to me that just going to the school run or wherever would require this.

jojo76 Tue 05-Aug-08 15:48:53

I'm confused about this as well. Could you do a general one for local regular activites? would it be enough to have the checks you would usually do (like busymum lists) written down and reviewed every so often, or do you have to sign and date it every time you do that outing?!

busymum1 Tue 05-Aug-08 18:10:52

my risk assessment is one page A4 tick list can put copy on mumsnet tommorro if this helps covers all area of my house and garden and outings have just been ofsteded and inspector said is fine I do mine daily and this is sufficeint as long as if you go in a park etc you do quick scoot round

busymum1 Tue 05-Aug-08 19:13:35

EMERGENCY
is fire blanket accessible?
have smoke alarms been tested (weekly)?

FIRST AID
Is the travel first aid kit restocked?
Is the main first aid kit restocked & accessible?

OUTINGS
Are pushchair straps clean?
Are seat units clean?
Are all folding mechanisms correctly working?
Are all brakes working correctly?
Are reins or wrists straps clean, available & undamaged?
Are all car seats correctly fitted?
Are any moveable seats in car secured in holders?

GARDEN
Is the pool cover in place?
Is the sand pit covered?
Are all attachments on climbing frame in working order?
Is seesaw in good working order?
Has garden been checked for any cat excrement?
Is all garden furniture safe?
Is the gate locked with padlock?
Is gate key accessible for emergency exit?
Is the tap turned off?
Are all plants safe?
Are all wheeled toys safe?
Is the household shed locked?
Is the childrens shed safe for children to access?

LIVING & PLAY AREA
Is the highchair clean?
Are all kitchen surfaces cleaned with antibacterial spray?
Are radiators at correct temperature?
Are stair gates in place?
Are cupboard locks still working?
Are all plug socket covers secure?
Are all flexes from plugs in accessible to children?
Are bins clean and covered?
Are all knives out of childrens reach?
Are unused kitchen appliances turned off?
Is the dishwasher closed to make it inaccessible to children?
Are toys clean?
Is any alcohol out of reach of children?
Are all window stays in place?
Is front door secure?
Is back door secure?
Are all small items removed from the floor?
Is travel cot safe and clean?
Are childrens flannels and towels clean and accessible?
Are nappy sacks available?
Is changing mat clean?

Scarfmaker Tue 05-Aug-08 20:42:14

busymum1

Thanks for the advice and for taking the time to type all the above out! I can see now how I will be able to do just one list and then maybe sign and date each time I do/use that activity or outing.

It will be another chore for me but hey I'm up to midnight usually doing paperwork now and photobooks and ironing and sorting out my own three childrens days and bits.

During my 7 years childminding I've given up once (for 6 months) but came back to it as it's something I know I do well and this EYFS thing isn't going to stop me hopefully!

busymum1 Tue 05-Aug-08 21:17:28

no problem glad to help! I am so annoyed eyfs is easy but sounds so daunting, have yet to find any new part I have not already got, not trying to sound smug or anything just annoyed it has not been properly explained to most childminders and they are all feeling daunted when in fact most childminders are doing most, if not all of it daily already

jojo76 Wed 06-Aug-08 15:36:35

busymum1 thanks, that is so helpful! I am definitely going to do a list like yours, once it's done its one I guess. Must admit i feel a bit daunted too, but think i will feel better after first new style inspection is out of the way....

busymum1 Wed 06-Aug-08 23:03:09

copy mine if helps but don't forget to adapt to your house etc

jojo76 Thu 07-Aug-08 16:04:36

Thanks will do that, felt envious of your childrens shed when I read your list, I would love to have a seperate shed with just kids stuff in so they could just help themselves, ours is all just hurled in the big shed, then there's an avalanche when you get stuff out...which I do, obviously. Might put, "check for shed avalanche" on mine......

ayla99 Fri 08-Aug-08 22:25:35

They changed it, you only need a checklist for each TYPE of outing now, not for each and every outing any more. Thank goodness!

www.teachernet.gov.uk/teachingandlearning/EYFS/clarificationsandfaqs/ (scroll down, down, down)

KIOOSES Sat 09-Aug-08 20:55:06

spending my sat evening updating policies probably going to be at it sun as well!!!!
check out www.bromleycma.org.uk for useful risk assessment templates.

LoveMyGirls Sun 10-Aug-08 09:19:12

Thanks very much for the links, I've found them useful!

Obviously risk assesments are done mentally on an ongoing basis but how often are we required to do written ones? Say I fill these in now when will I have to do it again?

PonyMoore Wed 22-Apr-09 11:58:07

Hi, I Child mind twin boys and have yet to find a suitable format for my risk assessments. Could any body help please??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now