This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much should I pay?

(10 Posts)
onlyconnect Tue 22-Nov-16 18:03:14

.... a 19 year old regular babysitter with a level 3 childcare qualification is looking after two children aged 10 and 3 years for 25 hours, Sat to Sun including over night. The little one often wakes up once in the night but goes back to sleep easily and then gets up at around 7.
How much do you think I should pay her?

Callaird Tue 22-Nov-16 19:09:48

This is an 'how long is a piece of string' question. It depends on how much you want to pay and how much she wants to receive.

I get £220 for those hours with children sleeping through for 12 hours. If they don't sleep 12 hours, I'd charge £10 extra for each hour or part there of, they are awake. So if they woke at 2am for 5-10 minutes I'd charge £10 because I know that I would go to sleep for ages. I'm a nanny of 31 years and I don't like working weekends so it has to be worth it! I charge £15 per hour at the weekend if it is less than an 10 hour day, £10 if over night and £50 from 11pm and 7am.

A 19 year old may do it for £80. Ask her what she wants, tell her what you are willing to pay and meet in the middle!

onlyconnect Tue 22-Nov-16 20:05:55

Your post illustrates how right you are about the piece of string Callaird! I hope she'll do it for a lot less than you would as she's younger and less experienced.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 22-Nov-16 21:37:44

Your youngest may go back to sleep for you easily but with a bs instead of her mum she may not

Payment varies

I would be in same ballpark as Callaird tho also old and experienced

What were you thinking of paying?

Bare minimum of £5/6ph daytime for 12hrs - 60/72

What do you usually pay her per hour?

Plus overnight and soon adds up

Mamatallica Tue 22-Nov-16 22:46:37

I used to do similar for £5 an hour up until quite recently.

onlyconnect Wed 23-Nov-16 11:10:42

I was thinking of £130 total. I normally pay £7 per hour ( she does about 5 hours a week regularly for me). But £130 comes to £7 ph for awake hours then only £30 for over night.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 24-Nov-16 10:41:58

£130 for the whole weekend?! shock

Here age has nothing to do with it, that's simply not enough. She won't give up her weekend for that, surely?!

I pay my babysitter £8 per hour pre-midnight, £10 after. If I used her overnight I'd expect to pay a min of £10 per hour overnight.

onlyconnect Thu 24-Nov-16 13:59:07

Wow ok whatthefreakinwhatnow I'll pay more. It's for 25 hours, but yes, the bulk of the weekend

HaPPy8 Sat 26-Nov-16 22:01:12

Is that £130 cash in hand? I would think most 19 year olds would jump at it!

BackforGood Sat 26-Nov-16 22:08:48

I agree wìth happy8
If she has something else (exciting) on, then she wont agree to do it, but if she hasn't got plans then shell be delighted to walk away with that kind of cash.
I know my dc (aged 18 and 20) would be delighted with £130.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now